Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2016, 02:24 PM   #1

Looking at 2017 Octane 273

The brochure only has general details. I can't seem to figure out if these actually have batteries included. It says it has two battery trays but that is about it.

Anyone know?

I am planning on pulling with a 2014 Chevy Silverado 4x4 1500 Vortex 5.3 V8 and a 3.42 Gear Ratio. While the numbers work out and are a little close, anyone using something similar and have insight on pull experience?
Octane2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:30 PM   #2

You can work out with your dealer how many batteries you want - I don't even know if they're shipped with any.

If you hit the GVWR of 10K for that trailer your towing experience isn't going to be good with that truck. Of course that depends on what toys you are going to haul so you could be a lot lower.
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:04 AM   #3

So I went out and looked at the Jayco site. I used the dealer locator to find dealers that are within a few hours drive from me. I then went to each website, found a contact email address for sales. I then sent the same email to each. It had the exact specs of what I am looking for. I should say that I am in central Ohio and as I go in the direction of NW I get all around the RV capital of the US. Even though, there is a pretty big difference. The prices are farther apart than I wold have thought for the same trailer. My next step will be to go back to each and discuss the quote with each. Trying to get a feel for each dealer. Do they offer more than just delivery of the trailer, etc.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:49 PM   #4

yes it does have a battery and I pull my 273 with the same truck and it pulls it just fine, even with 2 Harley Davidson road king in it
1hdbiker60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:42 PM   #5

Good to hear. Thanks. Do you pull with full water and fuel tanks or mostly dry? I found that 4WheelDrive parts can do an upgrade to Dana axles and better gear ratio for roughly 3K. It increases load capacity on the truck by 2K lbs. Which means 11k weight limit. Lifetime warranty.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane2Go View Post
Good to hear. Thanks. Do you pull with full water and fuel tanks or mostly dry? I found that 4WheelDrive parts can do an upgrade to Dana axles and better gear ratio for roughly 3K. It increases load capacity on the truck by 2K lbs. Which means 11k weight limit. Lifetime warranty.
Yes usually we have a full of water to Harley's in the back and I also carry two Kayaks with me we love it the only issue my wife's hands and she wish it had a little bit more storage in the kitchen area so I'm sort of looking around to see if I can add a couple of cabinets
Old 08-07-2016, 12:44 PM   #7

I'm in Texas and bought my jayco Th from Haylett rv in cold water michigan. It did not come with a battery and the dealer let me know that while we were in process of making a sale. I did not think it was that big of a deal is why I didn't ask. The price that I paid for trailer up north saved me about 5k after it was all said and done. The dealer up north got a better interest rate by about 4% and was about 4k higher on the trailer for the same equipped unit that was 30 miles away down here in Texas. I personally think the dealers in Texas just want to get you for as much as they can in all areas of the sale and the rv capital up in the north just want to move some units. Ill travel up north to get my next TH.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmike View Post
I'm in Texas and bought my jayco Th from Haylett rv in cold water michigan. It did not come with a battery and the dealer let me know that while we were in process of making a sale. I did not think it was that big of a deal is why I didn't ask. The price that I paid for trailer up north saved me about 5k after it was all said and done. The dealer up north got a better interest rate by about 4% and was about 4k higher on the trailer for the same equipped unit that was 30 miles away down here in Texas. I personally think the dealers in Texas just want to get you for as much as they can in all areas of the sale and the rv capital up in the north just want to move some units. Ill travel up north to get my next TH.
I bought mine at white lake Michigan and it had it in there we order ours its a 2017 so I don't no if it was standard with the package we bought but if you go to Jaycos web sight it should tell you stander options.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:59 AM   #9

Continuing Saga

So we had talked to a dealer that is "down the road" from Jayco and they happened to be attending an event two weeks ago. We discussed some details and were on our way up there to see them. We found that the sales person wasn't paying too close attention and it ended up being a bust for us.

However, we stopped at another dealer on our way back to Ohio. It was a smaller dealer, but still an actual Jayco dealer. We were impressed with the knowledge of the staff. We were also impressed with the price. We actually ended up saving more than $1K off what the other had said was a Special Show Price.

Ours is now on order. Now we wait.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #10

Update

I hope I won't be over-posting but I thought I would share.

In my last writing I had stated that we had our Octane 273 on order. We did that back in the middle of Aug. We made contact with the dealer back in November and it still wasn't ready or even scheduled yet. They were nice enough to throw in an additional option for us. The Turbo 300 Waste disposal for the black tank. So we went back to waiting and were notified in mid December that it was scheduled and should be completed first week of January. So we started making preparations.

First bad thing was, since we knew it was going to be mid-winter that it was delivered it would be hard to find a storage spot so we have been paying for a spot for a few months. :-(. Second, it is hard to make sure you are going to be available when it is ready for pickup. Oh well. What can you do.

Anyway, as it turns out it was ready the second week of January. We scheduled to go up this past Saturday and get it.

Well, I knew from reading all the info here that the likelihood we would bring it back with us was slim to none, even though the sales guys said it would have no issues and would be ready.

No worries.

We went up (roughly 2.5 hours) and were ready to take a look. We weren't even in the trailer 60 seconds before we started finding things that needed fixed.

Before I go down that rabbit whole though I would like to say "as of this writing the dealer has been awesome." I will explain why I say that in a minute.

We did the walk through and found all kinds of stuff. There were places where trim or the like wasn't all the way together. There were holes all over. There were covered holes where they had nailed things together but the cover was still a nasty grit that needed wiped off. Then there were holes that were just holes. Someone had drilled one, two or even three holes in a random location. Like their drill had gotten away from them and went off drilling holes.

There were three holes drilled in the sealing in a random pattern outside the bathroom door. There was a hole drilled through the screen of the window in the bedroom at about the 10 o'clock point. It even drilled into the window seal itself.

We also found that the lower shelf in the kitchen the back corner going towards the front of the trailer actually tapered down at a significant angle.

The powered benches in the back bounced up and down as they were lowered. The rear screen door was actually a challenge to raise and lower.

This is a good one, it has a fuel station for the ATV's. When you open the hatch to get to the nozzel there are instructions and warning stickers all over. They are all upside down.

I could go on but the point is, as is said in the forums many times, most of these are not a big deal and are an easy fix.

Had I not gone in aware, I would have been doing a lot of back and forth trying to get all these things fixed.

The guy (George) that did our walk through wasn't the "regular guy." I will talk about the dealer as a whole in just a sec but, George did a great job.

Why, because no matter what my wife or I pointed out, he immediately said, We can fix that and wrote down notes. Not once did he make anything we said, seem like it was a hassle or the like and I was paying attention and looking for it.

He had made the comment about halfway though that working with Jayco was easy. He said his experience has been when it comes to these repairs they always approve. Those kinds of comments are what put customer's at ease. If that is what they see as well. :-)

Once we were done with the walk through, George had a list of all the things that needed fixed. He stated they should be able to have everything done this week.

From the perspective of the dealer as a whole. I would say, I am happy with them so far. I had told the sales guy before we went up there that I was expecting we wouldn't be bringing it back as there would be stuff that would need done. I explained that I had been on these forums a lot and had seen that.

I had also asked that they fill the tanks, including the fuel tank, to make sure the gauges worked, etc.. I believe they did check the water but the fuel tank had never had any fuel in it.

He assured me that would not be the case. Once that became the case, I suppose it would have been nice if they had said "hey, sorry you will have to come back again. Here is a $50 gift card or whatever for your trouble." One person did apologize that we had to come back and I don't even know who she was. She was in the lobby area as we were leaving. She was on a ladder fixing something or maybe painting.

We also had an issue that the sales guy had told us that this unit had foam walls not hung insulation. We were at the Columbus RV show the week prior to delivery and met a Jayco rep. During the conversation it came up and he said the SLs don't have foam.

I contacted our sales guy and he said he contacted Jayco and found that he was wrong about that. "Sorry." Said there was no difference in the R rating between the two.

While that may be the case, I am thinking there is a difference though in reliability. The fiberglass insulation that is hung can fall. Foam wouldn't. Not much we can do about it now.

All things being equal, today, I would recommend this dealer and Jayco to a friend.

I say "today" because we haven't picked it up yet so things could change. :-)

I took video of the walk through. I will be making notes of things discussed that I want to remember or make instruction notes from. I will do some screenshots of some of the wholes and things we found to give an idea of the kinds of things to look for when you are doing your walk through.

As they say, plan to take your time. Look at everything. Operate everything. We want to be out on the road this year. Not sitting at home waiting for repairs to be completed. :-)

I will post more after pick-up as well.