Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2018, 07:05 AM   #1

Looking to buy toy hauler

We are new to rv'ing and looking to buy a jayco octane 273, any thoughts? And any lessons learned. We are newbies lol

oneiljl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:34 AM   #2

If your new to RVing maybe rent one first. Then see what you want from there. This is a web site the allows you to rent an RV.
https://rvshare.com/

2015 Chevy Silverrado 2500
14,000#/1400 Equal-i-zer 4-way sway bars
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:06 AM   #3

I don’t know enough about Toy Haulers to address that specifically but there has been a thread started:
NECESSARY ITEMS IN A TRAVEL TRAILER
I would look over that list as it most likely applies to THers as well
Of course you will need a big enough Tow Vehicle that can handle the Pay Load & weights etc. ‘Probably’ at least a 3/4 ton if your packing heavy toys in your Tow Hauler (ATV’s, Golf Carts, Motorcycles, etc)
Welcome to the Forum and hope you get lots of good information here
Good luck and happy camping

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:56 AM   #4

the toy hauler is more versatile if you have items to take with you.. we really like the fact you can put the beds up during the day and have a huge area to hang out in... and then open the back up and have a great view of what is behind you.. well not always... but usually... plus if you have some PVC you can make a deck out of the ramp...

what are you going to haul with it? motorcycles? ATV's? depending on what you haul makes a difference in what to look for...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:15 AM   #5

We are in central Ohio. We have an 2017 Octane 273 we are thinking to sell. Feel free to message me.
Octane2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:34 AM   #6

It's been my experience that people often "settle" for a unit, then wish they had gone bigger and better. Trust me, if you settle, then go back to your dealer after only 1-2 years, you will not like the Trade Value. You'll think, "how could my camper only be worth $10k after I paid $28k." It's not the dealers fault. Sad to say but you're not purchasing an investment,,,it's a depreciating purchase. With that said, get as much as you can afford.
sbarlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarlag View Post
You'll think, "how could my camper only be worth $10k after I paid $28k." It's not the dealers fault. Sad to say but you're not purchasing an investment,,,it's a depreciating purchase.
The solution to this is to buy a slightly used unit and let someone else take the big depreciation hit. I recently purchased a 2016 222 Octane SL for $10K less than a dealer lowball figure on a 2018 model, and the one I purchased is like new, stored inside and hardly used. They are out there if you look and have patience.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:54 PM   #8

I have a 273 and love it. I use it for bringing my Touring bike to different places and usually a buddyís bike also. One thing that I found was installing wheel chocks is a pain in the butt since the floors are not plywood like a cargo trailer. They have a layer of insulation which makes things a bit more complicated. If you are good with the already installed D rings for your needs itís nothing to worry about. Another be careful loading on the ramp if the ground is not level you can bend the top of the ramp which leads to an opening when the ramp is closed and they are not the easiest things to bend back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:39 AM   #9

how about a 2016 octane superlite 222? $17,500. free delivery 100 mile radius of Clarkesville, GA
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:32 PM   #10

I bought a Jayco 272 recently. I rushed the purchase because I was trying to get rid of a forest river grey wolf. Very happy with the Jayco so far. I recommend the double fresh water tank if you’re going to be boondocking at all. Also recommend getting a unit that already has a rear pull,down screen installed. I’m having a heck of a time trying to get Cw to even quote me the screen. I paid around 25 k for new one.

Doughydman is offline   Reply With Quote