Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2018, 01:40 PM   #1

Mixed feelings looking for ideas

We pulled the trigger, the deal is finalized. Now the wait time on dealer prep and timing for the pickup (and drop off) appointment.

We traded in our 2015 Whitehawk 25BHS, which we have loved dearly. I did a lot of little mods to customize and make things smoother. Several of which I reverted back to manufacturer condition.

We purchased a 2018 Octane 260 SL. I would like to hear from those who have this model and am curious as to what modifications you have made (if any). I know one of the issues we are already noticing is a lack of storage when compared to the Whitehawk. Specifically, the lack of wardrobe (closets). We are able to store out TT at home and thus we leave it loaded and mostly ready to go (save loading the refrigerator and fresh water). One of the first mods I intend on doing is building a wardrobe or two.

So a couple of questions:

Does anyone know what type of power requirements (wattage/thinking generator wise), the microwave/convection oven unit pulls?
We live in Alaska and have never used the Air Conditioner)

Will standard size X-chocks work?

Has anyone had any issue with the black and/or grey tank dumps?

Fuel station: do you leave fuel in it, or drain it?
Any necessary maintenance or other things I should know or do regarding the fuel station?

Anything else we need to pay attention to?

(We do not need any advice on PDI or anything like that, this isn't our first RV and thus not the first time picking one up.)
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:09 PM   #2

I've got a '17 Octane SL 222 and while it's not exactly the same as yours, I'm sure there can't too many differences since mine is just slightly shorter and lighter than the 260. My trailer has a HighPointe convection mic that runs 12Amps/ 1440 watts. Standard X-Chocks fit just right. No issues yet with my black/ grey tanks and the black tank flush port is a nice feature. I haven't used my fuel tank, but I have read a few posts about fuel becoming discolored after a while. As far as storage goes, I bought a "freestanding closet wardrobe" off of Amazon which is lightweight, but pretty sturdy and can easily be taken apart if I needed the extra space back.
For more specific stats, you could jump on the Jayco website and download the manual for your 260 if you haven't already.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:24 PM   #3

Just remembered that my 222 also doesn't have a master circuit breaker to turn off all power and even when I have all circuit breakers off, it still pulls power for the C0/ propane monitor which seemed to drain my battery after being in storage for about a month. To fix this, I just added a simple battery master disconnect switch that you put on the battery post to cut all power from the battery while in storage. Something to look out for on your 260.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:49 AM   #4

Thanks for the information. I agree with you on the battery cutt off. It's not just the toyhaulers. The parasitic drains caused from the CO/Propane detector and the radio (background clock) are common across all makes and models of RVs. While I will install a cutoff switch (I did on my old trailer) I will rarely use it since I am able to store my trailer at home and leave it plugged in all the time.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:52 AM   #5

in general for fuel.. add stabilizer, only use oxy free gas if possible, drain annually regardless, run the genny and make sure to use the same quality gas in it... don't let the gas sit more than 12 months use it up...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote