Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2019, 07:49 AM   #1

new 161 underbelly question

Hi,
We just purchased a 2018 161 and will pick up in 10 days. We want to install some PitBull Motorcycle restraints but I'm seeing that the unit is listed as having a sealed underbelly. What does this actually entail? I'd need access to the underside of the actual floor to install the nuts on the mounting bolts for the restraint.

Thanks,
Craig
supercraig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:36 AM   #2

There is a corrugated sheet under the front part of the trailer. It ends right about at the front axle. So it all depends where you are mounting. Anything in front of the axle might be hard as the tanks start in that area on the 161. I came up with a removable board for mine. Mounted three wheel chocks onto it with two pins through the floor in the rear. Set it over the pins and it's secured to the trailer. Then I wrapped the board in marine leather to protect the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190323_212325.jpg   IMG_20190323_201826.jpg  
DSK360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercraig1 View Post
Hi,
We just purchased a 2018 161 and will pick up in 10 days. We want to install some PitBull Motorcycle restraints but I'm seeing that the unit is listed as having a sealed underbelly. What does this actually entail? I'd need access to the underside of the actual floor to install the nuts on the mounting bolts for the restraint.

Thanks,
Craig
Congratulations on the toy-hauler and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:54 AM   #4

I have a 161 with a "sealed" underbelly. Your choices are to cut through that cover or remove it. Complicating things is the spray foam that they use to "seal" the edges. I use quotes because calling their foam job 'sealing' is...

I determined coming up from the bottom was not feasible for a wheel chock, so I found one of the floor struts that goes across under the fridge where I used longer wood bolts, then used short wood bolts for the other 2 bolt holes. I had to to ensure I didn't go through and puncture a tank, but you have almost an inch of flooring. Not load-bearing, but will keep the chock secure since more of your bike force will be downward via ratchet straps using the provided floor tie-downs.

I've driven almost 3000 miles with this setup and the chock hasn't budged.
ChaosTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:38 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum and 161 ownership
parallax is offline   Reply With Quote