Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-12-2016, 04:38 PM   #1

New guy here, just picked up a '17 355W

I enjoy the forum thus far, reading the posts of Jayco owners. My wife and I have owned a travel trailer about 10yrs, and decided to move up to the 5er toyhauler. Big change!
We decided on the 355W because of the 2nd bathroom and the garage allows us to block off the kids for some peace and quiet. Plus, we carry dirt toys and Harleys.
We pull it with a '12 F350 single wheel, it loads her down pretty good, but Firestone airbags help tremendously.
One thing I have noticed is the brakes could be better. Even using full voltage one definitely needs to give extra stopping room.
It had to go back to the dealer once; the 1st time camping when I went to drain the back black tank, I quickly found out the drain valve leaked by=stinky mess they had to fix.

I have a couple questions:

- has anyone installed condor wheel chocks in the garage in this model? If so, was there any issue with tanks being in the way for drilling in the floor?

- to be pre-emptive, what is the best location to jack up the trailer or method to change a tire should I get a flat? I have a 12ton bottle jack, it just seems like I would have to use several wood blocks to get the needed lift.
strippedthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:01 PM   #2

I have not had a toyhauler, but did have a 5th wheel and I can tell you the answer to the bottle jack problem is to carry a small block of wood with a small concave cut into it. Put the bottle jack under the axle directly, then put the wood between the jack and the axle...concave side on the axle to basically help straddle it instead of just jacking on one point.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:25 PM   #3

Congratulations on the toyhauler and welcome to the forum.

The brakes on the newer units have been an issue in this forum. Even if all is well with the brakes, it takes many braking cycles to break them in. I believe the break in process is in the documentation you should have received. If they haven't improved after the brake in, there could be a problem for the dealer to investigate.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:49 PM   #4

I've got a 2011 Recon zx 39c and also pull with a srw F350. No issues with the brakes. Even with a fully loaded trailer I have the brakes set to 8.0 Definitely a load for our trucks as mine loaded is roughly 20k. I carry 2 (6 ton) floor jacks in my truck tool box and although I haven't had a flat yet my idea is to put one under the frame just in front of the front axel or just beyond the rear axel and use the second to raise the axel needing the change. Mine is a tri axel and not a lot of room between the tires. I just didn't want to lift the entire camper from a single point on the axel tube or have to use a 1-2 foot space to get enough lift from the frame jack.
CGTITAN is offline   Reply With Quote