Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #1

New Octane 29A

We will be picking up our new Jayco Octane 29A in this weekend. Other than the normal checks for fit, finish, loose nuts and bolts, etc., is there anything else we need to look for. Its our first toyhauler, so I just don't want to miss anything on the initial walk through. I have confidence in our dealer, they just haven't dealt with very many toyhaulers. I told them I was going to ask on the forum and they thought that was a great idea. Maybe just over thinking it, but like to minimize trips to dealer. I will be using a Husky straight line WDH for the first time and stopping at the CAT scales on the way home. Plan to get some empty weight on the trailer and will check tongue weight when I get home with my Sherline scale. Than I plan to load the bikes ( 2 Harley dressers) and check all weights again and see how much adjustment is needed on the WDH with a full load. Really curious on tongue weight differences with a load. Anybody have anything else I should look for on the initial checkout and setup?

Not wanting to start the old "which TV is best" debate, part of the reason for the initial weight concern is that we will be purchasing a new GMC TV soon and still trying to determine which TV will be enough, without too much overkill. The truck is my daily driver and being retired we tend to put on lots of miles, so I'm really hoping I can stick with a gas TV. We will be bringing it home with a 2008 Ford diesel dually that is our sons'. My current truck is a GMC Sierra Denail 1/2 ton AWD which I know I can pull it with empty, just concerned once it's loaded up.
LabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:43 AM   #2

I have a 2009 Octane 26Y and the only problems I had after pickup was a water line that blew off underneath the first time I hooked it up to city water (broken hose clamp) and had to replace the generator fuel pump twice under waranty.
I tow mine with a 2012 Silverado 2500HD 4X4 Crew cab 6.0 gas with 4.10 gears and have no problem at all but I am not sure how much weight difference there is between the 26 and the 29.
I have weighed mine loaded with two 900lb Polaris ATVs and I am about 2000 pounds under the Max Towing for the truck.
Good luck with the new camper.
mjayco is offline   Reply With Quote