Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2021, 06:54 PM   #1

New to me Octane 260

Hey everyone, just upgraded from our 17bh jayco to the 2018 260 toyhauler. I bought it used so didn't get the true dealer walk through.

I ran into an issue the weekend on the first trip where I ran out of water. filled to about 2/3rds (reading on panel) and when I got to the site there was only 1/3 reading on the panel.

Now from what I have read on this forum, this is a common issue regarding the overflow lines leaking out.

I have read I can put valves on them, or pinch them off to prevent this during travel, and then just make sure I open them when I use the pump or fill he tanks. I can live with this.
\
But I have a few questions/assumption.

The trailer has 96 gallon capacity via 2 tanks.

Directly bellow the filling port on the underside of the trailer are 2 low point drain valves- Is it safe to assume there are 2 because there are 2 tanks (one for each?)

About 10 feet back on the underside there are 2 white hoses sticking out... I assume those are the overflow lines and there are 2 because there are 2 tanks

how do the tanks fill? is there a line located at the bottom of the tank and they basically equalize at the same time? so when my panel reads 2/3rds its reading 2/3rds of 96 gallons?

thanks for the help
Canadian_in_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:17 PM   #2
Site Team

We don't have an Octane, but our TT has two FW tanks also. Twin 42 gallon tanks + 6 gallon WH= 90 gallon capacity. When we're filling ours, it goes into the front tank, and then to the rear via a hose just kike the fill hose. If I remember right, the equalizing hose attaches at the lower edge of the tank sides, so you're actually filling both tanks at the same time.

Our sensors are only on the front tank. If we fill it too fast, some water will start to come out of the front tank overflow before the rear tank's filled. We have to give them a little time to equalize to be sure they're both full. Yes, the monitor panel indication is for the whole 96 gallons

Yes, the two valves are really tank drains. One for each tank. The other two hoses are more than likely the overflow lines, one for each tank. If you fill them to capacity, water should come out of both, and will run for a minute (if you're level) until the excess water pressure in the tank subsides. We did install two 1/4 turn valves on the ends of ours. Just have to remember to open to fill, close, open after levelled up, and open again for water pump use.

The tanks are very wide and shallow, so anything off-level will allow the water to come out of the overflows.

I hope I've answered some of your questions without being confusing.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:26 PM   #3

That wasn't confusing. I think it answered my questions lol.

I will go and get some valves to put on the over flows.

Thanks for the help
Canadian_in_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:42 PM   #4
Site Team

You're very welcome!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote