Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2017, 05:22 AM   #1

Newbies! Show me your DIY party deck

We just bought our rig and will be having it delivered to James Island, SC campground by the dealership. Our Camp Host agreement goes until May 2018 so we will have plenty of time to research a towing vehicle, if at all. We will be moving it to our land on Edisto Island, SC after the assignment to live in it the last 6 months of the build, hopefully to be completed by the end of 2018!

Trying to figure out a way to close up the back without the 3 Season Patio Door set. Also would love to hear about your best ideas for modifications. We are thinking about just using the hauler area for bedroom and making the front bedroom storage system. We need to maximize our outdoor space. Did I mention we also have 3 labradors and my spouse hates camping? LOL, should be quite the adventure!
chellamaral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:37 AM   #2

We have a 4212 but have the 3 season doors factory install. We put up a curtain rod with very heavy curtains, they insulate the 3 seasons doors from drafts etc. It allows us to not have to put up the rear ramp. The biggest problem you will have is getting heat to the garage, the furnace won't heat that area.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:26 AM   #3

3 season patio doors

Thanks Loboclone!

I would like to get the 3 season door but it only comes standard with your unit and Lippert (company that makes the door) says it can only be ordered from them from Jayco at manufacturing.

I would like something more insulated myself, and I am trying to figure out if we can put up a double rail and do two 2ft barn doors on each rail that by-pass. This would allow a 6 foot opening. We might even be able to attach the rails on the outside (I haven't studied outside install enough to know yet) but the doors could be removed easily by removing the rail stops and sliding them on/off when it's time to open/close up the door? The doors could come off and stored on the upper bunk when transporting.

We want to keep the ramp down most of the time, but someone said it wasn't built to be wet. Any words about that?

We will only be using it in SC, so hopefully warm enough over the winter...but who knows how much our blood has thinned living in Florida??? At least we have the girls for those "3 dog nights" !
Old 10-10-2017, 10:04 AM   #4

The Lippert 3 season door can be installed aftermarket, others have done it. Frankly whoever ordered it at the dealership should have included it under options. The marketability of the unit would increase with that option.
We keep the ramp down always when set up, as for the weatherablity of the ramp that is a very good question. Ours suck water badly, under warranty Jayco had our dealer reseal it. Didn't work the ramp will get waterlogged, there are weep holes in the side of the ramp that let the water out. I added extra spring to assist getting the ramp up when waterlogged.
This issue is minor to all the issues with the Seismic, Leveling issues, slide issues and workmanship in general. I suggest you check out other threads here concerning the Seismic. Our unit is in shop again now with severe slide issues.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:03 PM   #5

We only have the Octane 222, so I hope we don't have any problems like you are having. I also read how other people had the door system ordered aftermarket, so I don't know why Lippert is telling me otherwise. I asked my Jayco dealer if they could order it for me but I have not heard anything back yet

I have a piece of rolled rubber gym flooring that will fit perfectly over the deck but honestly don't think it's completely waterproof so I will lay some plastic down first. Also, the patio railing system I plan on building myself will be covered with an awning, so hopefully all of this will keep it dry, although I will probably close up the unit if we are expected to have a heavy storm.

I have not read the owners manual in detail and I wonder if it mentions that the deck cannot get overly wet? I had been reading another manufacturer's forum about using the toy hauler's door as a deck, and someone mentioned that the door was not built to be waterproof, although I know that the Jayco brand has a much beefier door than other brands.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:55 PM   #6

I have a 222 that I've had for about 3 months now. I've only ridden my HD Street Glide up the ramp about 10 times and the door is now warped! I'm not sure that the ramp is durable enough to use as a party deck. Be very careful.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:35 AM   #7

Jayco 222 Party Deck option

Oh No! What did Jayco say? Under warrantee? Any idea why it warped?