Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2015, 07:13 PM   #1

No fuel from fueling station

2007 Octane that I bought used, no idea how long it has been since the fuel station was used (no generator). I took the fuel line lose from the pump; the pump is sucking but still no flow. I tried blowing air back through the fuel line with gas cap off but still no flow.
Checking for suggestions before I have to drop the gas tank.
Thanks, Greg
Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:58 PM   #2

Well, the old "I'll try one more time before I give up" produced fuel. Still no idea what happened. But at least it works now.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:48 AM   #3

Mine was brand new and it didnt work. I wound up running my own wire direct from battery in front (through a switch) back to pump to get it to work. I also bought a 25' length of 3/4" fuel hose and ran it up to the tongue so I could fuel my gen. thats there. Goodyear 3/4" x 25' Hardwall Curb Pump Hose
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:03 AM   #4

It wasn't an electrical problem, it was a plug somewhere I think; probably varnish from old fuel.
Which brings up another question, does anyone use a fuel additive/stabilizer in their fueling station? If so, is there a brand preference? I did put some Sea Foam in with a few gallons of gas and let it slosh around a while before pumping it back out again hoping to clean it a little.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:06 PM   #5

Sta-bil Marine Ethanol formula is what I've used in my lawnmower, motorcycle and generator for a while now with good results. I usually try to go through the winter with minimal extra fuel, but what I do have left seems to still be quite usable in the spring.
DustyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyGeek View Post
Sta-bil Marine Ethanol formula is what I've used in my lawnmower, motorcycle and generator for a while now with good results. I usually try to go through the winter with minimal extra fuel, but what I do have left seems to still be quite usable in the spring.
I've heard it isnt a good idea to leave fuel tanks of any kind with little fuel because of condensation and water in the fuel. BTW, I use that stabilizer/ethanol stuff as well.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:39 PM   #7

By "extra", I meant gas cans full of it. I usually top off all the various tanks prior to packing things away in the fall. My motorcycle and portable generator live in my insulated, attached garage year round, so winter is very mild for them as well as dry relative humidity-wise. My push and riding mowers live in our shed, and both of them are over 20 years old without any fuel system problems so far, so I guess I'm doing something right.

I have a generator in the new trailer, so I'll probably do much the same with that too, since there's no effective way to completely drain the tank.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:16 PM   #8

A long time ago I worried about fuel quality. I no longer worry about keeping fuel for over a winter season, or even a bit longer.

What I do worry about is being able to run my old style carburetor technology fuel systems dry. If the engine doesn't have a fuel shutoff I add a pinch clamp on the fuel line to allow me to run the carburetor out of fuel. That keeps things from gumming up.

For decades now I have been running my lawnmowers, snowblowers, etc. on left over 50/1 gas/oil mix outboard boat gas. I run it straight with no problems. I've also mixed in a couple of boat gas gallons into my mostly full car tanks with no issues.

On general principle I would worry about keeping fuel for over a year, but for under a year that I've had no problems.

I hate wasting fuel. I've even mixed out 4 -5 year old fuel a bit at a time into my lawnmower and snowblower. I wouldn't do that with my newer vehicles. The risk vs reward is not worth it.

For my emergency generator I use Stabil fuel conditioner. I f not used, I drain and cycle that fuel to other engines every couple years.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote