Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2019, 11:06 AM   #1

Octane 161 sewer hose storage area

Unless you have, or have seen an Octane 161 you probably won't know, but I thought I'd give it a shot. The larger Octanes have a bedroom in the front, the 161 just has the kitchen/bathroom.

There is an exterior sewer hose storage tube that... really doesn't fit anything but the cheap sewer hose that most people toss right away for an upgraded version. It won't fit any hose with attachments as it's just a PVC pipe wide enough for the hose.

But looking at the potential for storage there, it's in front of the shower and next to the kitchen area. The nose of the trailer curves out quite a bit. There's got to be at least a foot or two of width, several feet of height and and about 3 feet of depth that seems to be wasted space.

Unless I'm missing something, can one get rid of the tube, cut a larger storage area there, and make that space useful? Having some kind of exterior storage compartment that big would be a huge bonus, so why wouldn't they have put one there?
ChaosTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Unless you have, or have seen an Octane 161 you probably won't know, but I thought I'd give it a shot. The larger Octanes have a bedroom in the front, the 161 just has the kitchen/bathroom.

There is an exterior sewer hose storage tube that... really doesn't fit anything but the cheap sewer hose that most people toss right away for an upgraded version. It won't fit any hose with attachments as it's just a PVC pipe wide enough for the hose.

But looking at the potential for storage there, it's in front of the shower and next to the kitchen area. The nose of the trailer curves out quite a bit. There's got to be at least a foot or two of width, several feet of height and and about 3 feet of depth that seems to be wasted space.

Unless I'm missing something, can one get rid of the tube, cut a larger storage area there, and make that space useful? Having some kind of exterior storage compartment that big would be a huge bonus, so why wouldn't they have put one there?
I was just chatting to the dealer today about this. He recommended a large PVC tube outside between the front of the RV and the battery casing. He says you can buy something similar prefabricated (he didn't have any in stock) or go to a store, get a piece of PVC big enough...he couldn't remember what size but thinks 4 inch, squeeze it in there, strap it down, and you're good to go. I did not ask about end caps, but I'm sure there are PVC end caps as well.
Saffikeagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffikeagan View Post
I was just chatting to the dealer today about this. He recommended a large PVC tube outside between the front of the RV and the battery casing. He says you can buy something similar prefabricated (he didn't have any in stock) or go to a store, get a piece of PVC big enough...he couldn't remember what size but thinks 4 inch, squeeze it in there, strap it down, and you're good to go. I did not ask about end caps, but I'm sure there are PVC end caps as well.
That's a good idea, but I'm thinking there's enough room in that space for an actual storage compartment. Just wondering if there's anything in there that would prevent it, other than your usual pipes and wires that can be moved/relocated.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:11 PM   #4

You are right ChaosTheory. Looking at mine that does seem to be useful space wasted in that corner of the Octane 161. There's not a lot, why waste it?
Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:51 PM   #5

This is the left front corner area from the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
octane161frontleft.jpg  
Old 04-22-2019, 11:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
This is the left front corner area from the inside.
My only theory is that they didn't want to design a smaller cargo door just for this model, which saved them money. None of their other models have cargo doors that would fit, so they couldn't be re-used.

...unless they installed it sideways as there is more than enough room to mount one vertically. Not sure if it would be water resistant in that case.

I'm just not mechanically inclined enough to punch a hole in there and see where pipes/wires are, but perhaps someone out there has done it and has pics?
Old 04-22-2019, 01:44 PM   #7

Following
supercraig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:44 PM   #8

There is a thread somewhere on here that has a mod for the original hole. On the 161 As I recall they did a good job. I went the 8 inch pvc tube route bolted to the underside of my tongue on mine.
parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:21 PM   #9

Same dead space on a 222SL . You can get the pdf plans from Jayco with your vin number. I just used a ready made “expandable” hose storage tube mounted it on the tongue just aft of the rack where I mounted a cargo box.
Even if that existing sewer hose storage was adequate not sure I would want any hose moisture behind an interior wall with no access.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

1992-2010 Jayco 1401 93 GMC Sub
2018-20?? 2019 Jayco Octane 222SL 18 Silverado 1500
Gogrampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:48 PM   #10

Yeah, very good points. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2019, 09:46 AM   #11

I guess, in my case I am looking at far larger uses for that space than a sewer hose, as I already have a suitable transport solution for that. That hollow space can be used for larger items, accessed from outside.

And I can use any number of non-Jayco exterior cargo doors there, that's not the issue. I just wonder what kind of wiring they have in that area before I go punching holes in the side of my trailer.

The other option would be to cut into the side panel near the stove, where one could put a fairly deep, albeit narrow cabinet.

I've seen a schematic, and am confident there is no plumbing there (it's all near the floor) but it didn't have wiring shown.

I may try and contact someone at Jayco directly, thanks for the replies!
Old 04-23-2019, 11:00 AM   #12

Agree Plus-1---- I would love to see someone find way to utilize this space,, a bonus would be a hidden compartment accessable from the inside to hide valuables.
parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogrampa View Post
Same dead space on a 222SL . You can get the pdf plans from Jayco with your vin number. I just used a ready made “expandable” hose storage tube mounted it on the tongue just aft of the rack where I mounted a cargo box.
Even if that existing sewer hose storage was adequate not sure I would want any hose moisture behind an interior wall with no access.
What are "pdf plans"?
mjager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjager View Post
What are "pdf plans"?
The schematics come in PDF format.

1992-2010 Jayco 1401 93 GMC Sub
2018-20?? 2019 Jayco Octane 222SL 18 Silverado 1500
Gogrampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogrampa View Post
The schematics come in PDF format.
How can I get these for my Octane 222?
mjager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjager View Post
How can I get these for my Octane 222?

If you call Jayco with your VIN they will email you the PDF. I asked about studs and they sent me files on the left and right walls. I’d be curious to see files for the rest but that’s what I have for now. It did not include wiring.
supercraig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:51 AM   #17

I also wouldn’t want the odor!
Xboaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:09 AM   #18

I'm fixing to take delivery of an Octane 222.
The too small stinky slinky storage is just not going to work for me either. I'm also planning to go with one of those collapsible storage tubes.
AmericanBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:32 PM   #19

26oz holder?
Doonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:32 AM   #20

My 161 also has the outside shower door in that location. It’s a better utilization of the space with this option chosen. I bet that explains the direction Jayco chose for that space. Without the outside shower option, it does appear like a missed opportunity of space.
Hamptont is offline   Reply With Quote