Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-19-2018, 12:02 PM   #1

Octane 161 SL Wardrobe

Recently picked up an Octane 161 SL. Looking at the unit I quickly realized there was no place to hang coat or to store clothes anywhere beside in the kitchen. But there was a large open area directly to the right of the door when looking out. There was enough room to be able to build a cabinet between the door and the light/ plug in front of the bed. Not completely done with it yet, still working on the doors but I am very happy with it so far. Took a lot of empty space and made it very usable. If anyone is interested I can give more information on how it was made. I was also able to get the framing diagram for this side of the trailer to know where all of the studs are.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20181118_114741.jpg   IMG_20181118_114748.jpg   IMG_20181118_114758.jpg   IMG_20181110_150322.jpg  
Old 11-21-2018, 09:48 PM   #2

Looks good but I can’t a straight line if my life depends on it. I was hoping to find a prebuilt one. But yours looks good.
Rklingborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:09 AM   #3

I would love more information on this!!! My husband and I just decided we are going to buy a 161, just have to find the right one for us now. But the lack of storage is a huge thing for me! I told him he was going to have to build something for me!!
3girlsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsmom View Post
I would love more information on this!!! My husband and I just decided we are going to buy a 161, just have to find the right one for us now. But the lack of storage is a huge thing for me! I told him he was going to have to build something for me!!
They are a great little trailer. So the entire cabinet is built out of 1x12 clear pine. This allowed the cabinet to sit directly on top of the wheel well and not block floor space (also 1x12 is available at most lumber yards and anything bigger is special order). The height of the trailers might vary but for mine I went 88.5" on the front and 84" on the back. The difference is due to the front leg going in front of the wheel well and the back leg sitting on top of it. I wanted it as wide as possible so I measured from the door to the front of the lights on the wall. I was able to go 35" wide to the outside of the boards, leaving roughly 34.5 on the inside. The lower right area will be used to hang coats and such. For this area I went 38" high and 19 3/4" wide. On the top and bottom of this area I added a 1x4 at the front and back to add the rod for the coats. I will be adding a door to cover this area. The little shelves on the left can be placed at whatever height works for your storage. The first two shelves that span the width of the cabinet will be used for clothes and will have doors covering them. The first shelve is 12" high and the second one is 16" high. The top area will have a net over it for open storage. I also added 1x2 at the back of all the long shelves, at the top (keep this down about 3/4 to an inch to account for the molding), and at the bottom so that I could secure it to the studs in the trailer. I also notched the top of the boards to go around the molding at the roof line.

When I added the 1x2 at the bottom of the shelf I notched the divider between the coats and open shelves to help keep that board straight. I then screwed the 1x2 into the divider. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. But if you have any other questions I would be happy to try and answer them.

I tried to dimension the picture the best I could to help as well. I have also attached the framing diagram to show where the studs are.
Attached Thumbnails
Cabinet Dimensions.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DS WALL.PDF (278.1 KB, 32 views)
Old 11-25-2018, 10:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsmom View Post
I have also added a truck bed tool box on top of the grate on the tongue to store the batteries, chairs, leveling blocks, and such.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:19 PM   #6

This is amazing. Thank you!
3girlsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:30 PM   #7

good job,, good use of space. I did a smaller version under my medicine cabinet in the bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 8.32.50 PM.png  
parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallax View Post
good job,, good use of space. I did a smaller version under my medicine cabinet in the bathroom.
That looks awesome! I really like that idea. I've been trying to decide what to do with that space as well. Couple questions. What size boards did you use? It looks like you put 1x4s on the front edges? And how did you get it in there with the bottom shelf below the toilet and it being flush with the cabinet?
DSK360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK360 View Post
That looks awesome! I really like that idea. I've been trying to decide what to do with that space as well. Couple questions. What size boards did you use? It looks like you put 1x4s on the front edges? And how did you get it in there with the bottom shelf below the toilet and it being flush with the cabinet?

I used 1x8 soft pine, and 1x4 for the fronts to keep stuff from falling out. I measured about 6 times, before making my cuts on the vertical boards. I loosened the medicine cabinet screws enough so i could move it up about 1/2 an inch I notched the right side 1x8 so the toilet water hose would fit. I gently slid the assembly shelving into place, being very careful not to damage toilet. secured it with L brackets to the wall stud underneath the shelves so they are not visible. also ran some screws down thru the medicine cabinet to top of the top board of the shelves. I stained the wood after final assembly then fitted it. the trailer and medicine cabinet are not square, so boards are not the same length they are a little off to make it fit. we enjoy having somewhere to put our towels and toiletry now.

I am definately going to be adding shelves like you have,, what a great idea!
Old 01-04-2019, 01:51 PM   #10

Quote:
I used 1x8 soft pine, and 1x4 for the fronts to keep stuff from falling out. I measured about 6 times, before making my cuts on the vertical boards. I loosened the medicine cabinet screws enough so i could move it up about 1/2 an inch I notched the right side 1x8 so the toilet water hose would fit. I gently slid the assembly shelving into place, being very careful not to damage toilet. secured it with L brackets to the wall stud underneath the shelves so they are not visible. also ran some screws down thru the medicine cabinet to top of the top board of the shelves. I stained the wood after final assembly then fitted it. the trailer and medicine cabinet are not square, so boards are not the same length they are a little off to make it fit. we enjoy having somewhere to put our towels and toiletry now.

Thank you! I'm going to measure mine tonight and start on mine soon. It's a great use of that space and exactly what I was looking for. Yours looks great!

I appreciate that. I saw a big empty space and a need too store clothes and coats. It all came together very well.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:11 PM   #11

Quote:

Do you have 2 shelves or 3? I couldn't tell if the bottom was sitting on the floor or a shelf.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:45 PM   #12

The bottom is also a shelf. As I needed enough height to clear that hose that goes to the toilet I think it was about 6 inches off the floor. I am excited. To get back home and check out that spot where you put your shelves
Old 01-21-2019, 12:11 PM   #13

Quote:
The bottom is also a shelf. As I needed enough height to clear that hose that goes to the toilet I think it was about 6 inches off the floor. I am excited. To get back home and check out that spot where you put your shelves
Thank you for this idea. I finished mine over the weekend and was able to get it installed. It looks awesome!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190120_123205.jpg   IMG_20181206_204337.jpg  
Old 01-26-2019, 02:22 AM   #14

Well, so much for needing to post re: peeps thoughts on the 161 SL. You answered my question here...then made me realize something I hadn't before. NO STORAGE!!!!!!!!!! Thanks ever so much. I go shopping tomorrow.

My lazy ass will probably live out of a suitcase during trips, but these shelves are awesome if I ever decide to charge up my drill, find someone with a saw, and google how to stain and finish wood (or there's a Target about a mile away...won't look nearly as good, but Target at least has a chance of happening in my lifetime.
Saffikeagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #15

must have! got plans?
batman161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:19 PM   #16

Great work! It's also where I store hang-up clothes, though I went the cheap route and bolted a bar rack about 6 inches lower than the roof. Holds 2 full garment bags on each contact point and the rack that sticks out is used to dry my towel.
ChaosTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:51 PM   #17

Stole your idea! I’m going to use storage cubes on the shelves and have ordered some bungee netting for the helmets (on top) and the large misc shelf below them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1606.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	50169
supercraig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercraig1 View Post
Stole your idea! I’m going to use storage cubes on the shelves and have ordered some bungee netting for the helmets (on top) and the large misc shelf below them.

Attachment 50169
Nice! Looks great. I have been very happy with mine. Happy I was able to give you the idea! I've made a few more additions to mine. How are you going to hold your cubes in?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190427_143553.jpg  
Old 05-29-2019, 06:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK360 View Post
Nice! Looks great. I have been very happy with mine. Happy I was able to give you the idea! I've made a few more additions to mine. How are you going to hold your cubes in?

I plan to run a single bungee across each row while in transit. They will unclip when we get to destination. I ordered bungee parts and nets from Organized Obie. Hope I get it next week.

Yours looks nice and finished. I wanted to be more open and adaptable with mine.
supercraig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercraig1 View Post
I plan to run a single bungee across each row while in transit. They will unclip when we get to destination. I ordered bungee parts and nets from Organized Obie. Hope I get it next week.

Yours looks nice and finished. I wanted to be more open and adaptable with mine.
Thank you! It accomplished what I needed and the doors made it easy to store clothes and the smaller racing gear. The bungee to hold the bins in works good. That's what I did to hold the blue bins in. 2 trips and no issues yet.