Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #1

Octane 222 HappiJack question

Hello all, is it possible to make both the bed portion and the underneath flat folded seats go up a little higher?

There's still another 6-8 inches off space between the top bunk and ceiling, while there's another 6-8 inches of space between the seats and the top bunk.

Im looking to maximize head room with both in the upper position.
mjager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:06 PM   #2

I dont think so without a bunch on modifications. That's why the couches fold down and against the wall. As that should give adequate upper room. But it sure makes it hard to move around if u have a large toy. My buddy has a rzr on 35" tires. He had to put couches down to load. Made it difficult to get out for him.
Brooksb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:12 PM   #3

Well I have a 222 the upper bed attaches to the lift tracks via L brackets you can reverse the L brackets (all 4 ) and gain 3 inches of height from floor to bottom of upper bed. I travel with the bottom sofa in the swung down position against the sides. And my 4/pax cart in garage. That was the best maximum floor to ceiling (bottom bed) clearance I could get. With the L brackets reversed and the bench/bed in the seat position the upper bunk lowered to its low position provides ok headroom when seated below the upper bunk. Never could see a way to “easily” modify the lower bench/bed to gain any height.

1992-2010 Jayco 1401 93 GMC Sub
2018-20?? 2019 Jayco Octane 222SL 18 Silverado 1500
Gogrampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksb View Post
I dont think so without a bunch on modifications. That's why the couches fold down and against the wall. As that should give adequate upper room. But it sure makes it hard to move around if u have a large toy. My buddy has a rzr on 35" tires. He had to put couches down to load. Made it difficult to get out for him.
Exactly my dilemma
Old 06-10-2019, 01:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogrampa View Post
Well I have a 222 the upper bed attaches to the lift tracks via L brackets you can reverse the L brackets (all 4 ) and gain 3 inches of height from floor to bottom of upper bed. I travel with the bottom sofa in the swung down position against the sides. And my 4/pax cart in garage. That was the best maximum floor to ceiling (bottom bed) clearance I could get. With the L brackets reversed and the bench/bed in the seat position the upper bunk lowered to its low position provides ok headroom when seated below the upper bunk. Never could see a way to “easily” modify the lower bench/bed to gain any height.
How hard was it to reverse the brackets? Any tips you can share?
Old 06-10-2019, 05:25 PM   #6

Easy ....do each one separately I used a 2x4 to hold top bunk up while I unfastened The bracket from the track flipped it and reattached it 2 Philips screws per bracket . Just lifted bed and put its flat bracket on top of L bracket and inserted the pins .
Tip use a magnetic screwdriver so screws don’t drop be careful not to let “track plates” which are what the screws go into slide or drop down into track channel.
Pics didn’t orient correctly sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
3CB9E4FF-278D-485B-9D8D-CD003C7FDD21.jpg   61689DA0-53CD-4F0F-AA69-7BD0A6AA3F6C.jpg  

1992-2010 Jayco 1401 93 GMC Sub
2018-20?? 2019 Jayco Octane 222SL 18 Silverado 1500
Gogrampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:12 PM   #7

Has anyone found a way to make the bottom dinette/bed more comfortable? The middle has a hump in it where it folds down and laying across it is not pleasant to sleep on.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeA View Post
Has anyone found a way to make the bottom dinette/bed more comfortable? The middle has a hump in it where it folds down and laying across it is not pleasant to sleep on.
I would try a mattress topper. Places like Walmart have them but don't go too cheap. You could throw it on the front bed when not using the rear setup.
AmericanBiker is offline   Reply With Quote