Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2020, 12:55 PM   #1

Octane 222 loading ramp weight

Hi All,

New to the forum, recently purchased 2020 Octane 222 Toy Hauler.
On this trailer, the weight and effort to lower and close the ramp appears to be excessive.

Looking to see if others have added additional counter weight springs to their Toy Hauler ramps.

On this Octane 222, the loading ramp has the additional ramp package to use it as a deck, though the aluminum rails do not appear to be add much weight.
Had, watched the demo video of the 222, which shows lowering and closing the ramp, and it did not appear to be as difficult.

Factory response to the question is that it is balanced as designed with 3 springs.

I weighed it the outer edge to ground at 90 degrees, ramp parallel to ground and it came in at 62 lbs.

Have owned other enclosed trailers with loading ramps, where the ramp weight was balance much better.... though those used the cable/torque spring counter balance than the direct springs.

Any thoughts or advise much appreciated... Ski
sjablons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjablons View Post
Hi All,

New to the forum, recently purchased 2020 Octane 222 Toy Hauler.
On this trailer, the weight and effort to lower and close the ramp appears to be excessive.

Looking to see if others have added additional counter weight springs to their Toy Hauler ramps.

On this Octane 222, the loading ramp has the additional ramp package to use it as a deck, though the aluminum rails do not appear to be add much weight.
Had, watched the demo video of the 222, which shows lowering and closing the ramp, and it did not appear to be as difficult.

Factory response to the question is that it is balanced as designed with 3 springs.

I weighed it the outer edge to ground at 90 degrees, ramp parallel to ground and it came in at 62 lbs.

Have owned other enclosed trailers with loading ramps, where the ramp weight was balance much better.... though those used the cable/torque spring counter balance than the direct springs.

Any thoughts or advise much appreciated... Ski
I have a 2016 model and it lifts effortlessly. I do not have the additional ramp package you mention though.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:50 PM   #3

Try lubricating the moving parts yet? Can make a lot of difference on the sectional doors I work on. Torsion springs, the spring shaft bearings, any pulleys/sheaves the cables go thru, point where the cables are connected to the door. Real lube, not wd-40. The doors I work on are considered ballanced when these 3 things happen. Door sits on the ground without jumping up, stays all the way up without falling, and stops around halfway without falling or raising.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:46 PM   #4

Although the deck package is aluminum, I found that it made a big difference in lifting the ramp when it wasn’t on. I’m 76, so I will be interested in any replies you might get that would make it a little easier.
JohnHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:27 AM   #5
Kmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
Try lubricating the moving parts yet? Can make a lot of difference on the sectional doors I work on. Torsion springs, the spring shaft bearings, any pulleys/sheaves the cables go thru, point where the cables are connected to the door. Real lube, not wd-40. The doors I work on are considered ballanced when these 3 things happen. Door sits on the ground without jumping up, stays all the way up without falling, and stops around halfway without falling or raising.
What would you suggest as lube?
Kmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:43 PM   #6
Kmo

I ordered 44 springs two for the back door and two for the patio, will keep you posted on how it works out.
Kmo is offline   Reply With Quote