Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-21-2018, 11:41 AM   #1

Octane 222 Range Hood install

Hey what's up Happy campers, so finally updated my kitchenette with a range hood. I got the hood and vent from Amazon everything fit nice and snug.
I would say this is one of my first major updates on my camper since I bought it last year.
I did hit a couple of snags on my install, nothing major that couldn't get adjusted so everything could work . I got a couple pictures I'll put up, let me know what you guys think. It's a 12-volt system and honestly does what it supposed to do. I'm happy with the way they came out.
Attached Thumbnails
20180519_175843.jpg   20180519_224814.jpg   20180519_230242.jpg   20180521_131723.jpg   20180521_131728.jpg  

StarstrucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:06 PM   #2

Whats different from the old vs upgraded? Mine is a 2016 model and is pretty noisy!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:37 PM   #3

I'm not sure about the difference , because my camper did not come with a vent hood. I decided to add it to my camper .
But i could tell you that this model is from Heng's and runs super quiet.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:37 PM   #4

Great job, I've been considering installing one in my 222 as well. What finally prompted you to do the install? When I smoke out mine from cooking, i run the bathroom fan right now.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:48 PM   #5

I guess there was a few considerations before I decided to do this. I'll start by saying that this camper is perfect for us .
And adding in personal details now is mostly for comfort.
After doing some dry camping last year it was the 1st thing I noticed that I wish came with our unit.
I feel every camper should come standard with a range hood, n i dint really consider it on my checklist originally untill we started using it.
However , I never ran the bthrm fan before during cooking, nor would I suggest it, it just seems unsanitary, you might be pulling fumes from your black tank into the air.

Anyhow, for now start with a small fan by the kitchen window , i had a ryobi cordless fan that I used , but If your a do it yourselfer and feel like it's necessary, then I'd say go for it.
I'll tell you it took me about 10 hours to install, i just wanna add I'm not like crazy perfectionist, I just make sure its done right.
I incorporated some extra Detail to help the longevity of this kind of install, so that's why I took most of my Saturday to get it done .

I also think if you feel uncomfortable cutting into your wall then it would be a good idea to ask your rv dealer about this kind of installation.
I'm sure they can handle it as well. Anyhow , hope the feedback helps in your decision.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:51 PM   #6

Looks good. I've been considering doing the same thing. Did you tap into the 12V DC wires running to the light under the cabinet?
sapperfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:04 AM   #7

Yes I did, as it turns out they left a lot of extra wiring inside.
I don't know if they do that with all the unit installs but I pulled out at least 3 feet of extra wiring out that was just looped inside the panel.
I was able to relocate the LED light over the sink and run the wires out to hook up to the hood.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #8

Here's a couple pictures to help, just a heads up if you're serious about installing it your going to run into a little snag , on the third picture there is a beam that runs rite down the middle, there was also crossbeam stapeled on the left side of it. I debated my options and at the end I just cut it out even with the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
20180519_183455.jpg   20180519_193334.jpg   20180519_163250.jpg  
Old 06-05-2018, 12:56 PM   #9

Thanks for the pics. I did notice the vertical beam in your other pics, but didn't see the horizontal, since you had already removed it. I wonder what the horizontal beam supports? I don't know if I'm comfortable cutting it and leaving the end unsupported. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:01 PM   #10

Did you use the piece you cut out of the bottom of the cabinet above the range hood to patch where the previous light hole was?
Old 06-05-2018, 04:52 PM   #11

To be honest that would have been a good idea.. I just patched it up with a piece a black particle board.
As the horizontal beam is concerned , i had the same feeling about it , that's why It took me a while to cut it out.
It was just stapled together so I don't suppose it's load bearing. The vertical stud however I left in place.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarstrucK View Post
I'm not sure about the difference , because my camper did not come with a vent hood. I decided to add it to my camper .
But i could tell you that this model is from Heng's and runs super quiet.
Hi, awesome job!
Do you know the exact model number of the hood?
We bought an 2018 Octane 222 and my wife was on me to install one.
I figured it would have been a bigger job but seems very doable.
Thank you
68_Cuda_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:11 PM   #13

Hey just checked my amazon orders and the original one I purchased is unavailable, just search for Heng's 12volt hood range , the one I ordered was 22 inches in length, hope that helps.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:14 PM   #14

just wanna update this post , it's been a few years since install , the range hood still works perfectly fine, and I've had no issues or stress marks anywhere on walls inside and out since the cut out.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:28 AM   #15

Perfect, thank you very much for your Follow up. This is definitely something I plan on doing thanks to you lol
68_Cuda_340 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
range hood, toyhauler