Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2017, 10:48 AM   #1

Octane 272 Water Problem - Please Help

I purchased an Octane 272 a couple weeks ago (new) and went dry camping with it this last weekend. My trailer only has a 40 gal tank, so I am aware it isn't huge. However, we ran out of water the first day, having not taken a shower or anything.... We estimate we used 5-7 gallons while camping, before running out.

When we were filling it up it started to come out of 2 drain pipes by the rear axle
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4714.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	34098 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4715.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	34099

These should not be confused with the low point drain tubes that have the valves in front of the axle.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4712.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	34100

I figured this meant the tank was full, since it had been filling for a few minutes. Water continued to drain for a while, seemed like a lot of water. I assumed this was it draining to where it needed to. It seemed to drain more while driving. Is this normal? Should water be coming out of the tubes shown in the attached picture?

When I got home I refilled the tank and turned the pump on and everything seemed fine with no leaks. But water kept coming out of the tubes for a while again. I contacted a local shop and they said "It is my low point drain and to turn it off". I couldn't find the valves to turn it off for these two tubes. I even looked behind the cabinets in the coach. Do i need to take off the enclosed underbelly? I am hoping this is an easy fix.

Water never came out of the hole near the hose when filling, which is what I thought told you it was full.

This was the first time I used the trailer.

Thanks,
Luke
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4713.jpg  
LKetter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:58 AM   #2

Clearly you understand the difference between low point drains and water tank overflow lines, but your local shop didn't.

Those overflow lines are infamous for siphoning out much of the content of the fresh water tanks. Many have put valves on the end of the overflows to prevent this. What I do is to stop the flow of water into the tank(s) from the fill hose when the overflows begin to stream and then turn off the valves I added.

It is quite important to remember to open the valves on the overflow lines when enough water has been used to stop the siphoning action.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:02 AM   #3

We were honestly thinking it seemed like it was siphoning! Interesting! I will do that. Is there any danger to putting a couple valves on those hoses? Just open them when we start using the water?

Thank you so much!
Old 08-15-2017, 11:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKetter450 View Post
Is there any danger to putting a couple valves on those hoses? Just open them when we start using the water?

Thank you so much!
Only danger is not remembering to open them when filling too.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:10 AM   #5

The danger of a plug or valve in the overflow line is forgetting about opening it when you fill the water tank. That could pressurize and rupture the tank(s).

I use 2 neoprene corks; they go in when we are ready to hit the road and come out when we are camped. When filling, I can easily see that the corks are out.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:25 PM   #6

Thanks for the info guys! I ordered two valves on amazon, I went to Home depot and lowes and neither had what I wanted.

One last question! I was under the impression the water would come out of the vent up by the hose when the tanks were full? Should it come out up there, or when it comes out of these vent lines stop filling?
Old 08-15-2017, 01:58 PM   #7

Another water question. What PSI is safe for a city water hookup. Im going to buy a reducer and want some suggestions.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2017, 02:24 PM   #8

I believe the max safe water pressure for Jayco RVs is 60psi.

Caution: Cheap pressure reducers seriously restrict water flow.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
Old 08-15-2017, 09:18 PM   #9

should I stop filling the tank with water when it comes out the breather next to the hose or when water starts to come out of these overflow lines?
Old 08-15-2017, 09:36 PM   #10

Overflow lines.