Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2017, 08:42 PM   #1

Octane SL 273 Overview

I did a write up on our whole ordeal, you can find the posts "Looking at 2017 Octane 273." It has all that we went through.

My intent here is just to give our opinion on the trailer.

I am so glad that I spent time reading through these forums prior to picking up our unit. I was MUCH more prepared for the walk-through and the like.

When we walked into the unit and quickly found issues, there was no surprise. I also was fairly certain before we even got there that we wouldn't be taking it home the first time around. Even though the sales guy insisted that wouldn't be the case.

Now that all is done I have to say that, as others have said, the quality, or lack there of, really is amazing. I know they are backed up and are probably beating the drum to get these things kicked off the line. It just really amazes me the lack of quality.

It's hard to say what they are or aren't doing and I also don't have a way to compare to any other manufacturer but, don't be fooled. There isn't anyone that is going in and really taking their time to ensure something is done right or the best way it can be done, etc.

It has to be wham bam get it done and get it out.

All that said though our trailer, at this point, is functional. There are numerous filled in holes and all that but it is functional. We won't really know, until we get into the season, how well it will hold up, etc.

I gotta be honest, we knew going in that we didn't have any way to know for sure that our ATVs were going to fit in the back of this trailer. We have Honda Foremans. We had asked some dealers if we could try and none would allow us to try to fit our bikes in a trailer. Blah, blah, liability, etc.

Anyway, we were ECSTATIC to find that they fit. I wouldn't label it as a tight fit either. I am not saying there is all kinds a room or the like but they fit. I can easily drive one in. I scoot it just a bit towards the wall. Maybe 2 inches or so. I can then easily drive the other in. I have to kinda crawl off and out but, that's it.

I tie them down with a strap at the outside corners of each bike and then in the front I put a strap in a V shape between the two inside corners of the bikes. They feel solid. I don't think they are going anywhere.

I will upload some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0155.jpg   IMG_0157.jpg   IMG_0182.jpg   IMG_0190.jpg  
Octane2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:48 PM   #2

I'm surprised none of the dealers would let you test fit your quads before buying. I would have walked away. When I was looking to buy a toy hauler, I told all the salesmen that they had to fit nose to tail, no way they would fit side by side. Of course none of them believed me. They were trying to make a sale. (mine are 50" wide with my tire/wheel combinations) Every single one of them told me I could bring my atv's down and test fit them. I didn't bother to do it because I already knew the answer. Ended up buying a Keystone Energy toy hauler with a 17' long garage. Now we do it a bit differently, pulling them behind our 5th wheel.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:01 AM   #3

Glad they fit for you. I shopped for a long time and the Jayco T31b was the only toy hauler I could find that had the space, height and weight capacity to haul my Kawasaki Mule without going to a giant $80,000+ 20,000lb fifth wheel. She barely fits but she fits.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0259.jpg  
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:58 PM   #4

Nice!
Octane2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:38 PM   #5

You can definately fit a lot of equipment into the back of these. I regretfully own a 2016 273sl. Haven't been able to use it for six months. Very poor quality of workmanship. Jury is still out on customer service from JAYCO. Very slow to respond to make good on their product. This is all I will say for now. Waiting to get resolve. But discussted to say the least. If not resolved with JAYCO there will be More to follow including pictures and video of things that are unbelievable that have happened with my unit.
Ryan1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1974 View Post
You can definately fit a lot of equipment into the back of these. I regretfully own a 2016 273sl. Haven't been able to use it for six months. Very poor quality of workmanship. Jury is still out on customer service from JAYCO. Very slow to respond to make good on their product. This is all I will say for now. Waiting to get resolve. But discussted to say the least. If not resolved with JAYCO there will be More to follow including pictures and video of things that are unbelievable that have happened with my unit.
any update? very very interested to know. thanks
RobHagen1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane2Go View Post
I did a write up on our whole ordeal, you can find the posts "Looking at 2017 Octane 273." It has all that we went through.

My intent here is just to give our opinion on the trailer.

I am so glad that I spent time reading through these forums prior to picking up our unit. I was MUCH more prepared for the walk-through and the like.

When we walked into the unit and quickly found issues, there was no surprise. I also was fairly certain before we even got there that we wouldn't be taking it home the first time around. Even though the sales guy insisted that wouldn't be the case.

Now that all is done I have to say that, as others have said, the quality, or lack there of, really is amazing. I know they are backed up and are probably beating the drum to get these things kicked off the line. It just really amazes me the lack of quality.

It's hard to say what they are or aren't doing and I also don't have a way to compare to any other manufacturer but, don't be fooled. There isn't anyone that is going in and really taking their time to ensure something is done right or the best way it can be done, etc.

It has to be wham bam get it done and get it out.

All that said though our trailer, at this point, is functional. There are numerous filled in holes and all that but it is functional. We won't really know, until we get into the season, how well it will hold up, etc.

I gotta be honest, we knew going in that we didn't have any way to know for sure that our ATVs were going to fit in the back of this trailer. We have Honda Foremans. We had asked some dealers if we could try and none would allow us to try to fit our bikes in a trailer. Blah, blah, liability, etc.

Anyway, we were ECSTATIC to find that they fit. I wouldn't label it as a tight fit either. I am not saying there is all kinds a room or the like but they fit. I can easily drive one in. I scoot it just a bit towards the wall. Maybe 2 inches or so. I can then easily drive the other in. I have to kinda crawl off and out but, that's it.

I tie them down with a strap at the outside corners of each bike and then in the front I put a strap in a V shape between the two inside corners of the bikes. They feel solid. I don't think they are going anywhere.

I will upload some pics.
maybe you can help me out. maybe not. i know this is an older post but.....I.... I mean we, are very very new at this. looking at maybe buying a very nice looking used 2018 Octane 273 with fibreglass sides. we have two motorcycles that I beleive will fit no trouble - but we are new rv's/toy haulers. we are capable people - but know nothing about toy haulers or rv'ing. can you help? I want to know your entire experience with Jayco and their product.......I can also be reached at floorsrob@gmail.com - thanks in advance.
RobHagen1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:24 PM   #8

Thanks for posting your pics, I was wondering. My "16" 273 has the happy jack bed but not the couch(s). They fold up right where your green wheeler sets, so.... My thoughts, ditch the couch, add 2 nice RV recliners and a couple of nice premium folding chairs for the dinette set. I am sorry that some of you folks are having condition issues with your rig. I have most generally been pleased with the fit and finish of my rig, everything has always worked. It is a shame they cannot mount the water heater and winterizing valves on an accessible panel then plumb the water lines into to it. Be nice to have an inside/outside light switch by the back door vs the main panel. And the front fading panel... But I love the outside colors and graphics, interior layout, cute functional kitchen, big fridge, nice shower, really nice master bedroom. My model run has the off kilter toilet set so the lid does not fully open. Really like the windows placement and pull down blinds vs other brands. The Happy Jack bed is nice and I will probably install a pull across curtain for privacy when I have company. So ready to load and go right now!
1973-1977 HT-2 "R" Division
2007 Work and Play 18 LT (retired)
Rednight55 is offline   Reply With Quote