Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-11-2017, 06:58 AM   #1

Octane T26Y width and highways in NJ

I am scheduled to pick up a new Octane T26Y this weekend. Going through various websites, it looks like the Garden State Parkway (and apparently a lot of NJ highways) has a width restriction of 8 feet (Turnpike being the exception which allows 8'6"). Jayco's brochure lists the T26Y (and all their Octane trailers for that matter) at 102" width (8'6"). Strange thing is I ride the NJ Transit buses to and from NY on a regular basis for work and they are 8'6" width and they ride regularly on the Parkway...has anyone had any experience with Jacyo trailers on the Garden State Parkway? Is it common for police to pull over a trailer to actually measure it for compliance with these regulations?
Formula1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:25 AM   #2

Congratulations on the new trailer and welcome to the forum.

I really can't help with your question regarding NJ. Sorry.

What does your dealer say about this?

YEARS ago when delivering trailers for Jayco, there was a western state (WY?) that had a width regulation. In the packet of papers, Jayco included an 'over-width' permit for the widest trailers when deliveries passed through that state. As far as I know, that permit was required only for commercial vehicles and they checked at the weigh station. I was never pulled over anywhere for towing a wide trailer that was too wide (or for any other reason ).
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1 View Post
I am scheduled to pick up a new Octane T26Y this weekend. Going through various websites, it looks like the Garden State Parkway (and apparently a lot of NJ highways) has a width restriction of 8 feet (Turnpike being the exception which allows 8'6"). Jayco's brochure lists the T26Y (and all their Octane trailers for that matter) at 102" width (8'6"). Strange thing is I ride the NJ Transit buses to and from NY on a regular basis for work and they are 8'6" width and they ride regularly on the Parkway...has anyone had any experience with Jacyo trailers on the Garden State Parkway? Is it common for police to pull over a trailer to actually measure it for compliance with these regulations?
I live in NY. Here the word "Parkway" automatically means NO trailers and NO commercial trucks.

Have to keep such vehicles on the interstates, federal and state highways. Some local streets can get sketchy....

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:38 AM   #4

I know in NY Parkway is no no for trailers as that was not the original design intent of the the NY Parkway system. However, in NJ the Parkway is different - transit buses use it as well as RVs and RV Travel Trailers. Virtually all the bridges are high enough to clear vehicles up to 13 feet (although some have to be navigated in the middle and not in the right or left lanes). The big question is width for me...
Formula1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:30 PM   #5

I don't think the troopers will pull you over for 6". I've traveled the GSP everyday for 30 years and have never seen a trooper pulling over a tt. I also think the only place the lanes are 8' wide is over the Driscoll bridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote