Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2017, 06:28 PM   #1

Onan Generator in Travel Trailer - Noise?

We have a Jayco octane t26y with a generator prep and are considering adding an onan 4000 but have concerns about the weight. Right now I use 2 honda 2000 generators when we boondocks but I would like to have an easier setup that is less prone to theft.

For those of you with the onan mounted under the bed how is the noise and vibration? Would hate to spend that kind of money and not be happy with the result. Look forward to hearing what your experiences have been. Thank you.
Equalizer Sway Control Hitch
mr_reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_reality View Post
We have a Jayco octane t26y with a generator prep and are considering adding an onan 4000 but have concerns about the weight. Right now I use 2 honda 2000 generators when we boondocks but I would like to have an easier setup that is less prone to theft.

For those of you with the onan mounted under the bed how is the noise and vibration? Would hate to spend that kind of money and not be happy with the result. Look forward to hearing what your experiences have been. Thank you.
I have the Onan 5500 and I don't even notice it when it is on from anywhere inside.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_reality View Post

Easier than setting out 2 48lb items with convienent carry handle?? Minimize theft risk with a 5/8 inch braded cable. Give up the advantage and cost benefit of only having to run one H2000 when power needs are moderate.

You can do it, but I wouldn't.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:34 AM   #4

Onan

Had a 5500 in my 06 fiver, opted out on my 16 Eagle.Miss it kinda a pain lugging those two Honda 2000 around!
Attached Thumbnails
+L.D. Mtn 12-16.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:17 AM   #5

I have a T31b and the generator is right under my bed. It is definitely louder than your Hondas sitting outside would be but it's not unbearable. To me the convenience of having your power and fuel on board and available with the touch of a button is worth the noise. However I can't speak for you and your tolerance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #6

So our Class C has the Onan 4K outside and we're now talking about a 3500 watt portable.

The Onan is fine. It's reliable, doesn't use a ton of gas and pulls from the tank. And even tho it's 64 db rating is "Park Ranger Approved", its just too loud by today's standards.

I'm really having trouble justifying buying another 3500 watt genset, when the Onan is fine. But the darned thing is just too loud -- outside of the RV -- these days to be considered a Good Neighboor.

If I already had the Honda's, there's no way I'd consider adding the Onan.