Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2017, 10:18 AM   #1

Picking up Fri

Just a lil intro, I've been camping for 5 years in a Bullet ultralight. I've made several mistakes with this camper and hopefully won't make then with the new one btw the new one is a 273 Octane. Love my Bullet but the rid is leaking and I don't feel like dealing with it so I'm taking a hit and teasing it in. I thought that I had done a lot of research and came to the conclusion that Jayco was the way to go with quality and all that. Now after scanning this forum for a couple days I'm wondering if a have done enough research.
So in closing, I pick it up Fri on the way back home. I'm camping now wanted to bring it with us but they couldn't get it ready in time. What all should I look for when I pick it up or I'll call ahead and have them check it out before I get there? Thanks in advance for your responses.
Ridge-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:42 AM   #2

They'll check it out before you get there, but it may not be to your satisfaction.

You'll need to do your 'due diligence' and check it ALL for yourself.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:22 PM   #3

Yeah. Spend no less than an hour inside and an hour outside. Play with everything. We found all kinds of issues, etc. we have been working for months to get them all fixed.

I will say that Jayco has always been responsive.

I'll be honest though. In hind sight I would probably go a different direction if I was doing it over.
Octane2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane2Go View Post
Yeah. Spend no less than an hour inside and an hour outside. Play with everything. We found all kinds of issues, etc. we have been working for months to get them all fixed.

I will say that Jayco has always been responsive.

I'll be honest though. In hind sight I would probably go a different direction if I was doing it over.
What direction would you go?
Khardy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:19 PM   #5

Just my opinion of things.

I will say this. We waited for our trailer, after ordering, for 5 months. In that time we attended numerous RV shows and the like. We learned a LOT. After we picked up our trailer and with the issues that we had, and still have, we found we still didn't know very much.

Important things to note:

There are multiple vendors that offer more than 1yr warranty.
Not all vendors deliver a partially completed product.
All dealers are not the same.
There is a difference buying from a manufacturer that is in Indiana vs. other states.
You really need to not pay for anything until it is made right with what you know at the time.
I would like to say until all is corrected but there is no way you are going to do an inspection well enough to know all the things that are wrong.
Ask to see the packet that comes with what you are planning to purchase so you have an idea of all the different companies you will have to deal with for warranty issues. Along with all the warranty registrations you will need to fill out if you want the warranties to cover as they should.
Try to find the RV you want in the wild. Not in a show room or the like. It will help you get a better idea of how it functions and other issues before you buy. Some silly things can be a REAL pain.
As with anything, sometimes just a little bit more money can get you to something that will last longer and work better for you. Check and find what is available.
Seldom is what you want actually sitting on a lot somewhere. It is worth the while to order and get what you want.
Just because you are buying from an authorized dealer, doesn't mean they know anything about the issue you are having or how something works. Even though they are pretty good and pretending like they do.
It is my perception only, that the dealers make little off the sell of the RV. The real money is in service. This means that when something breaks, they are going to ensure you pay for any and every little thing they do except for what is explicitly covered by warranty. If it is covered by warranty you may still owe for the towel that the tech used to wipe his or her hands while working. That isn't covered by warranty.
If you say the RV smokes when cooking and the dealer tries it without turning on the oven and says it isn't smoking, they will want you to pay for that.

I could go on but, I don't want to say it is all bad. I have talked to quite a few people now and it seems like there is some of this with every vendor. I am no longer convinced that it is equal across the board.

I purchased an Octane 273 SL with just about every option. We got it in Jan. It sat for two months. We started finding all the issues in late march when we pulled it out of storage. It has been in the shop for about 2 months all together. We have been on probably 5 trips with it. If someone offered me $22K for it, I would take it in a heartbeat.

It still has issues with water leaks they can't find. The air conditioner turns into a block of ice just about every time we use it. There are a couple other issues that take too long to explain. All warranty type things but that take a significant amount of time to get corrected.
Octane2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane2Go View Post
Just my opinion of things.

I will say this. We waited for our trailer, after ordering, for 5 months. In that time we attended numerous RV shows and the like. We learned a LOT. After we picked up our trailer and with the issues that we had, and still have, we found we still didn't know very much.

Important things to note:

There are multiple vendors that offer more than 1yr warranty.
Not all vendors deliver a partially completed product.
All dealers are not the same.
There is a difference buying from a manufacturer that is in Indiana vs. other states.
You really need to not pay for anything until it is made right with what you know at the time.
I would like to say until all is corrected but there is no way you are going to do an inspection well enough to know all the things that are wrong.
Ask to see the packet that comes with what you are planning to purchase so you have an idea of all the different companies you will have to deal with for warranty issues. Along with all the warranty registrations you will need to fill out if you want the warranties to cover as they should.
Try to find the RV you want in the wild. Not in a show room or the like. It will help you get a better idea of how it functions and other issues before you buy. Some silly things can be a REAL pain.
As with anything, sometimes just a little bit more money can get you to something that will last longer and work better for you. Check and find what is available.
Seldom is what you want actually sitting on a lot somewhere. It is worth the while to order and get what you want.
Just because you are buying from an authorized dealer, doesn't mean they know anything about the issue you are having or how something works. Even though they are pretty good and pretending like they do.
It is my perception only, that the dealers make little off the sell of the RV. The real money is in service. This means that when something breaks, they are going to ensure you pay for any and every little thing they do except for what is explicitly covered by warranty. If it is covered by warranty you may still owe for the towel that the tech used to wipe his or her hands while working. That isn't covered by warranty.
If you say the RV smokes when cooking and the dealer tries it without turning on the oven and says it isn't smoking, they will want you to pay for that.

I could go on but, I don't want to say it is all bad. I have talked to quite a few people now and it seems like there is some of this with every vendor. I am no longer convinced that it is equal across the board.

I purchased an Octane 273 SL with just about every option. We got it in Jan. It sat for two months. We started finding all the issues in late march when we pulled it out of storage. It has been in the shop for about 2 months all together. We have been on probably 5 trips with it. If someone offered me $22K for it, I would take it in a heartbeat.

It still has issues with water leaks they can't find. The air conditioner turns into a block of ice just about every time we use it. There are a couple other issues that take too long to explain. All warranty type things but that take a significant amount of time to get corrected.

Octane thanks a tough pill. My dealer Miles rv in WNC has been great so far. Only found a but of trim problems popping loose and a complete panel that is probably too long and it's trying to come loose as well. Also my dealer is ordering a new decal kit for the outside bc every decal on ours is bubbled.
Hey I got a ? For u is the heater vent in the bedroom behind your bathroom door when it is in the open position? Mine is and I find that extremely odd. Just wanted to know if you're was there as well. There is a couple of other 273s on the lot I may go back and look.
Ridge-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote