Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2019, 09:54 PM   #1

Ramp door patio ?

I got a 2018 octane 273 super lite. I was just wondering if I could get a rear ramp door patio set up for it? Or will the ramp door not be able to support the weight? I load up a Honda pioneer in it just fine I would think it could support a couple people. Thanks in advance!

Jrichert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:13 AM   #2

I use my ramp door on my 222SL as a patio. I use 2 supports and limit the weight to about 4 adults with camp chairs as that’s all that fits comfortably (imo) I don’t plan on using any railings so open as is ....is so far, good enough.

1992-2010 Jayco 1401 93 GMC Sub
2018-20?? 2019 Jayco Octane 222SL 18 Silverado 1500
Gogrampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:13 PM   #3

I printed a prototype ramp door support that clamps on and is adjustable. Seems okay, supports the dog just fine, walking on it feels secure , jury is still out on weather it will be suitable.
Attached Thumbnails
rampstand.jpg  
Old 04-26-2019, 05:42 PM   #4

I would think that's the weakest part of the door. U should look to put cables on it like the trailers that have the railing. As long as it has a metal frame around the opening u should be able to cable it. Of u can look at the leg support on the rear door of the fusions. They have a side entry step for the patio.
Brooksb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:52 PM   #5

Do you think so? Its completely supported underneath by the aluminum frame. Drilling holes for a cable eye is purely trying to pull out the screws. open for suggestions.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:01 PM   #6

My cable connects to a bracket that bolts throu the door itself. Go up to any dealer that Carrie's 5rh wheel toyhaulers. Just go take sum pics so u know how they connect. Should be easy enough to replicate.
That's what I did for my last camper. I just never did it because the frame around the opening wasn't metal. It was just wood covered by aluminum...
Brooksb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:14 PM   #7

My 04 Talon F36 has the option for garage screen door and the ramp porch. It uses cables that pin onto brackets right behind the lift cables and those cables anchor back to the door frame, then there's poles and all.
fast_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:18 PM   #8

My issue is not wanting to void my 2yr warranty by drilling holes and making any unauthorized changes to the ramp door. On the SL models its not an option for some reason.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:15 AM   #9

I wonder if they're not more concerned with the balance of the trailer if you use that as a patio. If you have 3-4 people back there in addition to a heavy bike/atv, etc, perhaps it could tip back? Talk about taking a ride! These 'super lite' trailers aren't as tongue-heavy as what you normally see in models with the patio option.

3-4 people could weigh up to 1000lbs (thinking Wisconsin, here). That's a lot of negative tongue weight leverage... At the very least, they'd need to add better/stronger rear stabilizers, and that costs money. The factory stabilizers are barely adequate for the trailer as it is, and that's being generous.

If you're smart and factor this into your modification, you'll be fine, but the company has to design for the 'lowest common denominator' customer.

So: Jayco wants to avoid a lawsuit. That's my guess as to why it's not an official option. *shrugs*
ChaosTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:45 PM   #10

here is something to think about.
a few weeks ago my son and I went to look at a 2017 27sa Attitude toy hauler with the patio cables for him to purchase used. the ramp door had a 1.5 inch hole on the interior side of the door almost in the center. I ask the owner what happened and she told me it was from the factory swivel rockers that came with it. her husband a large man about 250 lbs 6ft 4 sat in the chair and it put a hole in the ramp door. so be carefull what kind of chair you use. the chairs in the two 2019 Jayco octane T33Ls that my son and I recently purchased have a large flat circle base on them. but iam still leary on what I put on the door.

tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote