Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2018, 04:07 PM   #1

Roof Replace

I am having to replace the roof on a Jayco Siesmic 310W 2015 Toy hauler. It seems that the bolts that hold in the three mounted AC units have been leaking...allowing for water to seep into the roof and wood substrate. There are now 2 specific soft spots when walking on the roof and you can see the sag in the roof in those areas. Absolutely no tears or penetrations in the roof membrane itself. VERY bummed. Again it lines up with 20 other issues I have repaired on my own and points to how quick and sloppy they build these units with very little attention to detail. I will replace the entire roof and water damaged wood substrate with a Rv FlexArmor.... (RVroof.com) solving forever any issues with leaks. This is a spay on 167mm thick coating compared to the 27 rubber membrane EPDM. Anyone else experience a roof issue like this?
EdBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBob View Post
I am having to replace the roof on a Jayco Siesmic 310W 2015 Toy hauler. It seems that the bolts that hold in the three mounted AC units have been leaking...allowing for water to seep into the roof and wood substrate. There are now 2 specific soft spots when walking on the roof and you can see the sag in the roof in those areas. Absolutely no tears or penetrations in the roof membrane itself. VERY bummed. Again it lines up with 20 other issues I have repaired on my own and points to how quick and sloppy they build these units with very little attention to detail. I will replace the entire roof and water damaged wood substrate with a Rv FlexArmor.... (RVroof.com) solving forever any issues with leaks. This is a spay on 167mm thick coating compared to the 27 rubber membrane EPDM. Anyone else experience a roof issue like this?
Sorry your going through this. The AC bolts are notorious for vibrating loose, I check our just about every trip. Good luck..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:07 PM   #3

You may solve leaks forever in other areas but if you let the bolts get loose again the water will once again flow into the roof rotting it out. Nothing is perfect and maintenance free, need to check the bolts now and then
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:57 PM   #4

Understood....NOW. Dealer never mentioned it in the PDI. Cleaning roof....and resealing caulking around vents etc...yes that was mentioned, and that work has been performed. But how a 4 bolt system can come loose and allow for water to seep through a gasket is not acceptable. I am an engineer by trade. We have to design things better than this. From what I have been told if you over tighten them, they will leak as well after over compressing the gasket.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:15 PM   #5

I check my bolts every year or two. They where only loose when I purchased the camper.

Yes, you do not want to over tighten them. Over time, you may need to tighten them. When the gasket is fully collapsed, then you need to replace it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:26 AM   #6

This may be a dumb question, but how do you get access to see the bolts. I guess you have to remove the air conditioner plastic cover???
Old 05-26-2018, 08:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBob View Post
Understood....NOW. Dealer never mentioned it in the PDI. Cleaning roof....and resealing caulking around vents etc...yes that was mentioned, and that work has been performed. But how a 4 bolt system can come loose and allow for water to seep through a gasket is not acceptable. I am an engineer by trade. We have to design things better than this. From what I have been told if you over tighten them, they will leak as well after over compressing the gasket.
Very disturbing, I am sorry. I agree with you. this is just another case of "designed, assembled and/or installed to fail." We are about a decade off from our next RV purchase. At that point, We may downsize to something like an Oliver, not because we want to go smaller, but to get something with fewer problems and maintenance issues as we get older. There has to be a better way.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:49 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
What I have done is lift the roof material careful and installed 2 x 1/2" ply strips under the roof material. Never had this problem again from leaking. It doesn't mean I have to check the bolts every season. RV's have lots of design flaws its is just a matter to fix them as a owner. You get what you buy, if you don't like it, don't buy.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:52 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by basque View Post
This may be a dumb question, but how do you get access to see the bolts. I guess you have to remove the air conditioner plastic cover???
Take the grill on the inside off and in each corner is a small bolt that pulls the unit down. Just tighten them enough to snug them. As stated before , do not wrench it down.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:22 PM   #10

Thanks for the response, but on my 2016 Jayco 355W, there is no access to the middle air conditioner unit. The finished interior ceiling hides and covers the actual air conditioner mount in the roof assembly as shown in picture. However the main bedroom unit does have access. Scary with the middle one, you won't know until a problem arises, then it's too late.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:37 AM   #11

Can you further explain? Like Shims? Was this placed from the inside of the AC or externally? I will have to inspect to see how much water damage there is to the wood substrate. Due to some of the roof sag, I am afraid some of the wood will have to be replaced. I am all about the routine maintenance. I live full time in this RV. Just wish I had been made aware of this very common but major issue across all Manufacturers. Again a better design would totally eliminate this.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:38 AM   #12

Test Reply
Old 05-27-2018, 06:22 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by basque View Post
Thanks for the response, but on my 2016 Jayco 355W, there is no access to the middle air conditioner unit. The finished interior ceiling hides and covers the actual air conditioner mount in the roof assembly as shown in picture. However the main bedroom unit does have access. Scary with the middle one, you won't know until a problem arises, then it's too late.
Well that's a new one but maybe someone will chime in and give you some info on the toy hauler config.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:50 AM   #14

Roof Leak

This is a 2017 model, however my 2016 looks the same. Click image for larger version

Name:	355W Ceiling.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	40109
Old 05-27-2018, 07:56 AM   #15

The a/c is held in place from the top by 4 lag bolts.

Remove shroud, then remove squirrel cage cover and you will see the bolts.

This config is on any unit with the whisper quiet a/c.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:29 AM   #16

EdBob... have a look at this post:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...wup-55357.html

We have a 355W and our dealer ended up adding additional supports at both AC areas in the roof. Seems Jayco used to use 2 trusses in these areas and now only use 1. When you are doing the roof repairs you may also want to consider doing this.
Wilsonbryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:44 PM   #17

That's why I'll never own an RV with a roof AC. Enough crap up there already. My wall mounted unit works awesome.

IMHO, after being an Rver for 32 years now, the roof is the one part that causes most of the problems.

Our camp's "guest house" is a 54 year old RV. No rubber roof, no wood, just steel sheet metal. The only leak I ever had was this year after a 24" tree fell on her. All repaired now, and none the worse for wear, except for a few superficial dents.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof replacement