Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-28-2021, 11:55 AM   #1

Roof soft spots

A few years ago we had professionally installed 4 solar panels (380 watts each). At that time the roof did not have any soft spots. Since then I usually clean them by setting a ladder next to them and using a long mop/ sponge. A few weeks ago I climbed on the roof to do air conditioning maintenance and I noticed several soft spots. A close inspection of the roof showed no tears on the membrane and the places where there was dicor appeared to be ok. The only thing I noticed was the air conditioners areas seems to sag in. The air conditioners unit can only be accessed from the roof. I removed the cover but did not go any further ie; removing the complete unit, there are no visible signs of water damage but I don’t believe I will be able to tell without removing the complete unit.

Any suggestions, comments, or experiences with similar issues will be greatly appreciated.

The rv is a 2017 Jayco Seismic 4212 toy hauler
Carlos & Ranae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 01:00 PM   #2

Are you sure it’s soft or is it just sagging a bit and that’s why it’s important to snug down the gasket just a bit and replace it at around 4-5 years.
My TT roof sags at the A/C unit and most of them do over the years.
Old 10-28-2021, 02:18 PM   #3

The soft spots are all over the roof, not only around the air conditioners units
Carlos & Ranae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 03:55 PM   #4

You should have a plywood substrate under the roofing, Im guessing a rubber roof. When plywood sags or gets soft it usually is do to water intrusions. Do you see any stains on your ceil or anything that looks like rust spots? If so you probably have roof leak. Another possibility could be condensation between the roof material and the plywood. This happens when heat raises up ,pass through the ceiling insulation and gets to the underside of the roofing material and causes condensation ,which dry rots plywood. I hope neither one is the case.
Newk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:05 PM   #5

If the damage abuts the AC units you might be able to see the plywood from below. If you need to actually check your roof from above you can examine the plywood in this way. Purchase a length of Eaternabond tape and a roller. I would suggest the 4 inch by 10 foot should be enough for this. Then, with a new blade in your zip blade cut an X across the suspect spot. After the inspection you can apply Etearnabond across the X extending a few inches beyond the ends of the cut to seal it up forever.

If you do find water damage then you can still seal it up till you can either have it fixed or are ready to do it yourself.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos & Ranae View Post
A few years ago we had professionally installed 4 solar panels (380 watts each). At that time the roof did not have any soft spots. Since then I usually clean them by setting a ladder next to them and using a long mop/ sponge. A few weeks ago I climbed on the roof to do air conditioning maintenance and I noticed several soft spots.
The roof is only 3/8 and will flex when walked on, are you sure it is not just the normal flex that occurs between the joist?