Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-22-2023, 12:17 AM   #1

Seismic 403 Solar help

Good evening all,

I just picked up a new Seismic 403 that is equipped with the Overlander 2 solar package. I was wanting to take the batteries out to keep them from going bad in the cold Montana winter but figured I needed to unhook the solar before I did anything with the batteries....is that correct? Anyway, I started looking for a solar control panel and I cannot find one. My dealer was of little help and told me to call Jayco Customer service......the girl is trying to help me but we are on day 5 with no results. I have the analog command center in the RV so my understanding is that I should have a separate solar controller then....is that correct? If I had the digital touchpad control center then I would have JayCommand which would allow me to control the solar with my phone through JayCommand....is that correct? The dealer never said anything to me about JayCommand so I am assuming there is no JayCommand with the analog control center....is that correct? There is no solar controller in with the batteries (just 2 batteries), not in with the generator, not in with the propane bottles, not in with the water controls and auto leveling system, not in the cabinet with the control center and not mounted on any interior wall. If any of you can point me to where this thing is, I would really appreciate the help. I know there are other 403 owners out there that have already figured this out, so please let me know. Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving everyone. (sorry if this posts twice as I am having a difficult time getting this to post). Cheers!
skip4346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 07:06 PM   #2

Sorry, I can't help find the controller but I can confirm you don't want to leave the controller wired to the panels without batteries.

Not all setups have controllers. A small 12v (nominal) panel/array with a large battery doesn't need a controller but it's definitely a good idea to have one.
Russc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 10:49 PM   #3

Russc25, thank you for your reply.....that does help me for sure. Thank you for taking the time to reply. Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-23-2023, 05:58 AM   #4

You say you picked up a "new" Seismic. I would think it would have the JayCommand tablet, and if installed by Jayco, you are correct in that you would control it through the App. We had our solar package installed by the dealer after the purchase, so we do have a separate controller panel above the JayCommand app on the wall
Old 11-23-2023, 09:05 AM   #5

i have a Renogy MPPT (solar controller). Instructions say that it will damage the controller to leave it connected to solar panels without a battery connected. Based on that and recommended wiring charts I found I installed a cut off switch between the controller and the panels.
Solar controllers are usually placed near the batteries for best operation. I would start looking there. Also, contact the dealer as they missed that in the delivery check and learning session. Plus, of course, watch a couple you-tubes on solar system maintenance.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 09:10 AM   #6

Good Morning Jetlag, yes, its a brand new 2023 but no tablet. I am not sure even Jayco knows what's going on as they still haven't been able to tell me where anything is.....but I agree you would think it would have had the tablet in it. I should have done a lot more research on this myself so I will take some of the responsibility here. Unfortunately, I bought this from a dealer that is an 8 hour tow away so not easy for me to get it back to them and the nearest dealer is about 2 hours away but I may just have to try to get it to a dealer for some help. Happy Thanksgiving.

[IMG]
[/IMG]
Old 11-23-2023, 09:13 AM   #7

Thanks RogerR.....yes, they totally missed the whole solar part of the walk through and so did I. Completely slipped my mind, I was in too big of a hurry because I had a long drive ahead of me when I picked it up. I'll keep digging and looking to see what I can find for sure. Thank you for your reply and advice.....I like the cutoff switch idea. Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-23-2023, 09:32 AM   #8

Interesting, I just looked in the Jayco site, and the luxury Seismic series have the Jaycommand as part of a mandatory package. Yours it appears that it does not have the tablet.

Customer Value Package (Mandatory)
  • MORryde® StepAbove™ entrance steps with strut assist (main entrance)
  • 50-amp service and 3rd A/C prep
  • Dual electric awnings with LED lights
  • 16 gal. gas/electric DSI water heater
  • Custom machined aluminum rims
  • Keyed-Alike™ lock system
  • Rooftop and ground solar prep
  • Hidden hinges on cabinet doors
  • 4K Smart LED HDTV with fully digital HDMI® output
  • Residential Insignia™ stove (3.73 cu. ft.) with 12K BTU high output burner
  • Residential king (72 in. x 80 in.) mattress with under-bed storage
  • Bathroom power vent
  • Hydraulic 6-point auto-leveling system with oversized foot pads
  • Automotive style front windshield
  • JAYCOMMAND® “Smart RV” system powered by BMPRO®
  • Fresh Water Drinking System (patented)
  • Home entertainment system with subwoofer
  • Residential solid-surface kitchen countertop with bamboo sink cover and strainer
  • 30 in. residential microwave
  • Night roller shades in living room
  • 39 in. 4K Smart bedroom TV
  • Residential “walk-in” shower with shampoo/soap holder, teak seat and shower tower
  • Backup, main entrance door and side observation security camera prep (includes a power switch in the bedroom to use the optional 7 in. monitor for security)
  • Cellular prep for 4G WiFi repeater and JAYCOMMAND® “Smart RV” system
  • High gloss gelcoated exterior sidewalls
  • Frameless dark tinted safety-glass windows
  • 5,500W Onan® gas generator (CARB-certified)
  • Wireless remote control system (includes Bluetooth® wireless interior controls) with dimmer switches
  • Washer/dryer prep
Old 11-23-2023, 10:27 PM   #9

Yeh, I wonder if someone messed up along the way and wired the solar for the JayCommand not realizing that it was the luxury model and no one noticed......my only guess at this point...hopefully I hear back from Jayco tomorrow with further ideas.