Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2018, 07:46 PM   #1

Seismic 4113 in the Morning

Going up tomorrow to check out the 4113 we put money down on. I have a 7 page inspection check sheet and three pages of notes that I put together from reading threads, watching videos and generally searching the internet.

I plan on towing it, using the auto level, moving it and auto leveling it a few times and will put a board or two under to see how the auto level responds.

Confirm how many AC units it has, what size, do they have heat pumps, any vents in the garage, heat strips or whatever.

Put water in the freshwater tank. Run the sinks, shower, flush the toilets. Hook up to a water hose and do the same things. Check the gages and search under every sink, crevice and where ever I can looking for leaks.

Open every drawer and cabinet, making sure they are smooth and operate as they should. Turn on and off every light, check every electrical plug, make sure the couch does whatever it is supposed to do.

Drain the gray water and black water tanks. Check the storage compartments, locks, seals, slides, makes sure they are 7000 pound axels, 3 inch struts on the landing gear. Crawl around underneath to make sure all is good, then up the roof to check there

Seems like an overkill, but with all the stories I have heard, reviews I have read I will crawl all through this thing.

We are buying from Terry Town. Good piece of advice I got was to check their service department ratings. They have a fairly good overall rating, however if you read the reviews......the sales people get 4 or 5 stars, pretty much every review that involves service is 1 or 2 stars.

Going to sit down with the service manager to see if he thinks it is just sour grapes or if he just can't get good employees. After he gives me an answer I want to see their work orders and see what kind of timeline they are maintaining. Then I am going to sit in a chair and watch and see what kind of conversations take place at the counter.

I will be there when they open, leave when they close. I think I have a very good grasp on the whole process, but of course would take any last minute advice or input on things to check.
2PawsRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:01 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Get your moneys worth paws....good luck to you! And keep posting your experience
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #3

It's a fact of life that neither the manufacturer nor the dealership checks it as closely as you will. Also, the things that need attention are more likely to be addressed if they are found during the PDI. Of course, too, if it's possible to take possession AFTER issues are addressed, all the better.
Hope everything goes well and let us know.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:22 PM   #4

One more thing

Fill the gray and black tanks high enough so all the lights come on. Our 2017 23RB leaked a steady stream out of the second from the bottom gray water sensor when the water level reached it when new. Dealer fixed it. Glad it wasn't the black water tank!!!
UPNORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:17 AM   #5

Stick to your guns paws. Hope everything is going well.
T-Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:35 PM   #6

Long story short.....didn't work out. We really love the floor plan and really liked all the under belly storage, but there were only two AC Units. The vent system did go into the garage, but was weak at best.

There was no heat in the garage, but I could get a heat strip installed.

Checking the corners near the slides and there were gaps about half the size of a golf ball. One of the maintenance guys checked it with me and there is supposed to be a piece of foam in the corner on the outside that was missing at both ends of the big slide, one end of the small slide.....just foam.

In the under belly one of the vents was pulled away, was surprised they are only held together by an aluminum tape.

The unit was not really ready for a detailed inspection, no battery, no propane, etc.

Wires that were ran through the framing under the floor were ran through drilled holes. There was no rubber insert and the edges were not even smoothed. I could see how in no time they could get worn into a short.

Did the auto level and it worked fine, brought it back down and hooked it to the truck. 2018 Dodge 3500, barely squatted and pulled it without effort. When we returned, dropped the landing gear, just short of being off the hitch and it went out of sync. Even though it was hooked to my truck the voltage was too low. Had to hook it to shore power, bring it back into sync and disconnect.

Pretty disappointed in the craftsmanship, but we had settled on a pretty good price...…….but alas it was all for not.

What it came down to was the third AC Unit...….I wanted the third AC Unit and I wasn't going up on the price.....said they would give it to me at cost, 900 dollars, was already 1,600 over what I wanted to spend and I said no

Salesmen talked to the manager and said it could not be done, so the deal crashed. I think I could have taken the 900 if I had only been impressed with the rig.....I just wasn't.

Salesman assured me when this started last week that if we didn't buy the trailer she would refund our deposit.....she assured me today as we ended that she would refund it.

We left Wayland and drove north to Lakeshore RV near Muskegon. Our second choice was a Cyclone 4270. We initially could not get one within out budget, talked to Steve one more time. Told him our Jayco Story, that we were seious about buying within our budget, he brought the price down to our budget, not the same floor plan or near as much storage, but a solid rig.....not a member of the Jayco Family, but am of the camping family...soon.

Get back in the truck and I see I have a message from the Jayco Salesperson to call the manager......called he had already left...………….now I any bets on whether I get my deposit back
Old 08-14-2018, 06:00 PM   #7

Oh the suspense...I bet they want to continue to negotiate vs return deposit first. In the end they will return it...

Good luck
tott9713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:55 PM   #8

I think you choose a more solid rig.
EdBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:11 PM   #9

I have three AC units on mine. IT is very helpful in extremely hot weather. As you mentioned, there are 2 ducts in the garage that are connected to the Center and Front Bedroom AC units. I did a modification that GREATLY improved the air flow through all vents. When I first get into the unit after traveling all day, i can use 3 units to very quickly bring temps down. After that, 1 or 2 units can more than adequately keep it cool.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:17 PM   #10

I also wanted to say the Manager in your case failed. That dealership lost a credible sale...and they know it. Things do happen for a purpose....and I think you won.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:04 PM   #11

I agree EdBob….things happen for a reason and we are pretty happy with how it turned out, but that 4113 had a lot going for it.

As it turns out they are refunding my deposit, but it was ugly for a bit.