Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2021, 04:42 PM   #1

Seismic 4113 large slide issue

I am having trouble getting my large slide to go in and out. It will travel a couple of inches and stop. I have tried to re-synchronize and that didn't help. When I engage the slideout button you can hear one motor start before the other. they also stop at different times. I don't remember them doing that before.

I am plugged into 120v shore power. The dual planetary gearmotor sync controller is giving an error code of low voltage. What would cause a low voltage situation when plugged into shore power? I am getting a reading of 13.6v on the leveling controller and 13.3v on my meter at the battery terminal. All battery connections seem to be good.

I need to get this fixed soon as we settle on our house the end of next month and the rv is going to be our home for the next several months. I will contact the dealer on Monday to try to get on their schedule but I expect they won't be able to get to it before then. Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.
Old 04-24-2021, 05:50 PM   #2

It could still be a weak battery. The voltage you are reading is probably from the converter. What voltage do you get when disconnected from shore power?
Old 04-25-2021, 08:42 AM   #3

Thanks for answering Grumpy, I still read the same voltage if disconnected. I guess the batteries could still be failing under load. I will have to take them out and get them load tested or can I do that myself by checking the battery voltage while try to operate the slide? I should see a large voltage drop if the batteries are bad, correct?
Old 04-25-2021, 09:22 AM   #4

ditto on checking the batteries if they are more than three years old.
atlantaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:49 PM   #5

So, this afternoon I went out and had the DW activate the slide while I measured voltage at the battery. With no external power supply, voltage at the battery measured 13.6 before activation, 13.4 during activation and 13.5 after the slide stopped. With it plugged in I measured 13.7 before activation 13.6 during activation and 13.7 when the slide stopped. I have no problem putting the small slide in and out and get similar voltage measurements when it is activated. So, I am thinking that there is either a problem with the motors or the sync controller.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by theracqueteer View Post
So, this afternoon I went out and had the DW activate the slide while I measured voltage at the battery. With no external power supply, voltage at the battery measured 13.6 before activation, 13.4 during activation and 13.5 after the slide stopped. With it plugged in I measured 13.7 before activation 13.6 during activation and 13.7 when the slide stopped. I have no problem putting the small slide in and out and get similar voltage measurements when it is activated. So, I am thinking that there is either a problem with the motors or the sync controller.
Check the grounds on the slide motors.
Old 04-29-2021, 04:04 AM   #7

Just wondering if you ever solved your slide issue?

Very interested as my 2018 4212 does the same thing.
WFOracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:40 AM   #8

No, I haven't solved the problem. Yesterday afternoon I tried doing some diagnostic work. Checked all voltages going in and out per the Power gear sync encoder tests. All their tests showed normal voltages. The slide started to travel both in and out without stopping but, you could hear it start to struggle, which it has always done since new, at which point the controller would flash low voltage. Then it would move and sound better and the low voltage code would drop out at that point. The one place they don't have you test for voltage is the out 2 connection. I probed that one while motor was running and on motor 1 I had a reading of 13.6 volts, on motor 2 my reading jumped around from a low of 1.2 to 13.6. So maybe the controller is bad. I will have to call Lippert today.
Old 04-29-2021, 04:52 PM   #9

I once had an issue on my talon. Found the plug at the bottom of each side had on slightly loose. May check that.
My issue was showing outta sink on controller....
One motor wasn't plugged in properly. No issues since. Been over a year
Brooksb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 04:27 AM   #10

Seismic 4212

Thanks Guys,

I'm very interested in hearing about your conversation with Lippert/LCI.

My semi-educated observation is that the slide actuating components (motors, relays, etc.) are undersized for the demands of this massive slide.....a loaded up residential fridge, etc..
WFOracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:33 AM   #11
Kmo

Any word on how you made out with your slide issues, I spent $4,000 at the end of last year to get my slide fixed as it stuck in the hole at the end of last year, we were getting ready for may long and it started acting up again, almost seems like one motor runs faster than the other jams and you reverse just a touch and go again it takes for ever to get slide in or out and when one side is in the other is about 4 or 5 inches from getting in, so you continue to jog it back and forth they are even, also noticed the switch in the panel doesnt work just the little computer screen, this is really starting to make me reconsider buying a cabin and ditching the camping. Grrrrr.
Kmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:25 AM   #12

so what made a surprising difference for my large slide was - 1 - lubing the slide mechanism following the Lippert video instruction and 2 - lubing the slide seals with 303 and 3 - making sure the motors are fully synched.

After doing these things, the slide moves MUCH more smoothly. Mine was very jerky prior that, to the point each time I was wondering of 'today' was the day it failed. still has a small amount of jerkingness, but vastly less the previously.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:53 AM   #13
Kmo

Thanks, I will try the lube it can not hurt, I would have thought just coming back from the shop the slide mechanisms would have been lubed, I tried to sync the motors just with holding the button in after all the way in and out but it never seemed to do anything, was talking to the place that fixed the slide and they do seem to be concerned and want to help so thats a plus.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:37 AM   #14
Kmo

Lubed up my slide last night and it made a huge difference but will not seem to sync correctly, the slide actually was so crooked that it bent the one handle on the cupboard but lube is a huge factor on these slides, I am going to lube mine every couple times out, pain in the a$$ but its a must.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:55 AM   #15

atlantaM3, do you have a link for the Lippert video on lubing the slide?
Old 05-20-2021, 06:24 AM   #16

Old 05-20-2021, 06:31 AM   #17
Kmo

I watched a video on you tube, I never saw this one you attached.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:51 AM   #18

Lippert has several video for their components out there.
Old 05-20-2021, 07:22 AM   #19
Kmo

What did you do about your sync issue, motors not starting and stopping at the same time? Mine seems to be doing that, I tried running it out 5 or 6 inches then all the way in and holding the button but that doesnt seem to work
Old 05-20-2021, 07:31 AM   #20

https://store.lci1.com/blog/retiming...syncing-issues

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...%26FORM%3DVDRE

seems to work the same for the rack type on the big slide