Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #1

Seismic 4113 slideout won't retract

Today is our 90th day of ownership of a 2018 Seismic. To celebrate, the couch slideout died after extending 2" today. We have tried every possible fix suggested in the Seismic manual as well as the Lippert Power Gear website. It won't budge. Any ideas how to get the thing to move so we can haul it back to the dealer for service?
GoTigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:18 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry, no help, but a couple of questions...
Are you on 'shore power' and is your battery fully charged?

Is the dealer close? If it's out only 2", could you 'tie' it so it can't move any further and tow it to the dealer?

Jayco has authorized some mobile RV repair businesses to do warranty repairs. This may be one of those times.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:00 AM   #3

You might try having one person hold down the power button to the the retract position while you push the slide in from the outside. Sometimes keeping that switch held down while you push in will work.

Keep us posted, ok?

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:55 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies, yall.

We're on shore power. Dealer is about 25 miles away. How would you suggest tying it closed? It won't move in or out.

We tried to push it while holding down the button. Nothing.
Tried to retract manually with ratchet. Nothing. Tried to disengage the motor, still nothing.

After six hours of this, husband was ready to push it into the Red River. Lol
Old 09-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #5

Did you try the over ride button on the controller in the basement?
How did you try to disengage the motors, electrically or physically?
Also call LCI customer service 866-5247821.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:45 AM   #6

Also, if you want to try to move with it like it is, you can block it in place by placing a 2 x 4 or something similar between the top of the slide out and the inside wall.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:47 PM   #7

This model doesn't have an override button on the controller in the basement. We tried to disengage the motors physically but couldn't. Service center told us they're a booger to get out and even harder to get back in. They were right.
Thanks for the LCI number and 2x4 suggestion. We accepted the next available appt for service - Oct. 25.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:33 PM   #8

Good luck and let us know what caused the problem and how it was solved when it gets serviced.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:11 PM   #9

If someone with a working system (Lippert 366701) could perform the check on the attached bulletin and confirm if voltage is constantly present or only present when activating slide in/out switch, I would be ever so grateful. Ours has 0 VDC either way. Might be our problem..
Old 09-10-2018, 07:15 PM   #10

Attachment
Attached Thumbnails
125058.jpg  
Old 09-20-2018, 04:16 AM   #11

Hey GoTigers, we have a 2017 Seismic and have trouble with our large slide out. Now this may not be related to your current problem since it sounds electrical but be aware this may happen with your large slide as well. Our slide jammed since brand new and it appeared that the floor of it under the recliner side was warped downwards causing it to bind. Upon further inspection I found roller gouging in the floor boards underneath at outer couch end and at the fridge end. The two outer most rollers were ripping the particle board flooring. There is so much weight on these two rollers that floor boards were being bent around the roller and the roller guards were doing the damage. It is my opinion that the outer most rollers are not in the proper position to support this weight, they are too far in from the vertical supporting wall of the slide where most of the weight is concentrated. I moved my rollers to the outer edges and even added a couple of extra. My modifications included adding 1/4 inch puck board to the floor for the rollers to travel on. The puck board strips are very replaceable should they wear out. I have seen where others have added stainless steel strips to their roller ways and bolted them thru. Again your unit may be different but this is something you may want to check out sometime. I suspect there may be other Seismic owners having the same problems with their large slides if they were built like mine. If someone is interested then I can elaborate on my modifications and you can do your own thing from there. My dealer was not much help and they wanted to rip the whole darn thing apart and this would tie up my rig for many days. If they replaced everything and put it back to factory specs then I would have the same problem again. I decided this was an engineering oversight by Jayco and I needed to modify the design. I would be very surprised if Jayco engineers are not already aware of this.
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:44 AM   #12

Jethro, I have a new to me 2015 Seismic with a large slide. The unit was used once before I bought it a few Months back. I have learned a lot about the Schwintek slides and how to run them. Once I knew how I have not had any problems yet. I did switch the motors to the high torque on that slide. Anyway I am interested in adding rollers and some type puck board or stainless strip for the rollers to ride on. I don't mean to highjack the thread but hoping anyone reading would be interested so can you elaborate on your mod? How do you install more rollers without removing the slide? Thanks!
JeffL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffL View Post
Jethro, Anyway I am interested in adding rollers and some type puck board or stainless strip for the rollers to ride on. I don't mean to highjack the thread but hoping anyone reading would be interested so can you elaborate on your mod? How do you install more rollers without removing the slide? Thanks!
You can look at what I did starting at post #10.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-60323.html
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:00 AM   #14

The thread from 2naEagle is a good one and basically what I did. I wish I would have read that article before proceeding with my modifications. This forum has a great amount of info from senior members and other members experiences. Puck board is tough stuff that I chose because I felt it would not damage my rollers (personal choice of material). I spent many hours under my slide out trying to repair all the issues. While under there I noted a few things that didn't seem right to me. I experimented with relocating and adding additional rollers here and there. Adding rollers to the centre of your slide makes little difference unless there is a lot of weight there like your fridge. Adding an extra roller at each of the vertical walls does help take pressure of the existing rollers. I found that during the last inch of slide out travel the carpet from the couch end interferes with the rollers there. Rollers have to roll over the folded and stapled carpet. I moved this out of the way when installing my puck board. Even with moving a roller to the edge of the slide on the couch end there was not enough support in the floor. The slide out would actually drop down a bit during the last couple inches of slide travel. Not sure why this is but you may want to check this on other Seismic large slides (possibly why they get stuck when fully extended). I had to add an extra roller on a 1 1/2" angle to project the roller outward to support this. Now my slide does not drop down over that last couple of inches of travel. Possibly my unit received some damage from moving the rig around at the dealership when the slide was open? You can carefully jack up the slide at the three vertical wall positions. I jacked mine up about 3/4" to complete modifications.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:16 AM   #15

Can someone explain to me why slide out rollers have such a high guard on them (one side only)? This is what gouges out the flooring material underneath. Due to the excessive weight at the vertical walls if there is any deflection of the floor material the guard is gouging and this is what does damage. During my modifications I trimmed down some of the guards on my rollers to prevent this from happening. Initially I thought some of my rollers had collapsed but when I removed them for inspection this wasn't so. Is the roller guard a poor design or does it serve some purpose? I know there shouldn't be any deflection of floor material but when Jayco built the slide my rollers were in a few inches from the edge of the slide and vertical wall support members. Due to the weight of the large slide there is floor board deflection or warping as some may call it. I ended up placing rollers to the very edge on both ends of my slide out.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #16

After reading these last couple of posts I checked underneath my slide outs today. The large slide out has indentations in the floor as mentioned here. On the garage end of the slide out there is also a small round hole in the fabric. On the end with the refrigerator, a small spot in the fabric is worn through and the wood is starting to break up. Apparently the wood splinters have caught on the seal and ripped it.

On each end there is plastic flap and the only thing that holds the flap up underneath is some type of caulking, which on its own doesn't hold. Does any one know what is used? I am thinking of adding more and also stapling the plastic to the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180921_143049.jpg   IMG_20180921_143132.jpg   IMG_20180921_143313.jpg   IMG_20180921_143601.jpg  
Old 09-21-2018, 03:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naEagle View Post
You can look at what I did starting at post #10.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-60323.html

2naEagle, I was looking at your solution and would like to know if you put the two screws in the end that was inserted between the roller and floor (hidden by the seal) or leave them out. If you inserted them, how did you do it?
Old 09-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
It is my opinion that the outer most rollers are not in the proper position to support this weight, they are too far in from the vertical supporting wall of the slide where most of the weight is concentrated. I moved my rollers to the outer edges and even added a couple of extra.

Jethro, my question to you is how do you move and add rollers without removing the slideout?
Old 09-21-2018, 03:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by theracqueteer View Post
2naEagle, I was looking at your solution and would like to know if you put the two screws in the end that was inserted between the roller and floor (hidden by the seal) or leave them out. If you inserted them, how did you do it?
I left them out. Everything has been working really well. I liked it so much that I put them on the bedroom slide also.
[IMG][/IMG]
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naEagle View Post
I left them out. Everything has been working really well. I liked it so much that I put them on the bedroom slide also.
[IMG][/IMG]
They all look good. Thanks for your help.
Since the seal needs replaced on mine and it is still under warranty, I plan to call the dealer on Monday to see what solution the suggest. Either way I most likely will copy your solution when I get it back.