Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2016, 08:54 PM   #1

Seismic 4212 issues

We picked up our new 4212 the other day. Great unit, but we have had a few flaws that are hard to get resolved when you are now living in it full time and travelling. The two biggest issues are:
1. we had some water seeping out from under the pedestal of the rear toilet. I shut off the water checked the hoses and connections and then watched as water continued to come up from under the toilet at the base. Found about a 5' area with water on it. The grey and black tanks were empty, fresh water was full to mostly full. I assumed it was an issue with the toilet until we had some water back up in to our sink in the kitchen. I am now thinking it is an issue with one of our holding tanks and I am leaning toward fresh water. has anyone had this, seen this, or know what this is? I am wondering if something was just not turned on or opened up? The unit is brand new after all.

2. we had the washer/dryer option installed. Today we were running on generator power, had the washer and fireplace on, then used the microwave and the GFCI in the master bath blew out and won't reset. I would think that we would've popped a breaker first, so wondering if anyone has any ideas. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Ryan
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L
Jayco Seismic 4212 2016
norton0428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:53 PM   #2

Just a dumb question, but you have 2 black tanks and 2 grey tanks. So you've drained them with 4 valves?
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:04 AM   #3

Yes, I pulled all 4 to ensure all were drained. Good question. I also verified on the panel that all were showing empty except for fresh water.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton0428 View Post
Yes, I pulled all 4 to ensure all were drained. Good question. I also verified on the panel that all were showing empty except for fresh water.
Our 4212 panel has never worked right for tank levels, fighting with Jayco now. The other problem is the Residential fridge, the water line is on the bottom of the slide. It freezes, totally exposed! We ordered ours with extreme Weather Pkg, No heat wrap on water line, Thanks JAYCO!
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:22 PM   #5

2. we had the washer/dryer option installed. Today we were running on generator power, had the washer and fireplace on, then used the microwave and the GFCI in the master bath blew out and won't reset. I would think that we would've popped a breaker first, so wondering if anyone has any ideas. Any help is appreciated.

We too have had multiple electrical issues:
1. We are on our 3 transfer switch! I now carry an extra.
2. there is a fuse next to the battery cut off switch, 50 amp from factory. Blew it 3 times, Jayco said replace it with an 80 AMP resettable. They did.
3. Our Whirlpool Washer (2 cu stackable) has never worked on the Onan Generator. Had the Genset checked twice by Onan. There is a thread on this http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...her-34550.html
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:31 PM   #6

Norton: Good Luck with the 4212, we are frankly very disappointed in ours. Watch the patio on the side and rear. All fasteners will come loose and water enters the inside of the of the door. It will freeze and expand. I have resealed it and now Jayco is going to do the same again. You have Challenger rear and side doors/patios. Also the railing system sucks, be careful of all those goofy little snaps. The pins will be come something that keeps you awake. They will break often, try WD 40 or something to lube them up.
I will be in Cortez Monday getting 480 watts of Solar installed and Grand Junction Tuesday thru Saturday.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:52 PM   #7

4212 issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loboclone View Post
Our 4212 panel has never worked right for tank levels, fighting with Jayco now. The other problem is the Residential fridge, the water line is on the bottom of the slide. It freezes, totally exposed! We ordered ours with extreme Weather Pkg, No heat wrap on water line, Thanks JAYCO!
I haven't had the same issue. Our tanks were all empty. I had just emptied them. Also, the water is fresh water, definitely. There is a notice on my sink that says that the water line will freeze. I suppose I could insulate it if needed, but we haven't even gotten that far. I didn't see anywhere that said the ice maker was included in the extreme weather package. I have had another issue with the panel, and that's that the awning one lights won't work by switch, only by remote and the gas meter switch is reversed. It shows the fuel station when the generator is pushed.

Still no answer on the water leak though.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Norton: Good Luck with the 4212, we are frankly very disappointed in ours. Watch the patio on the side and rear. All fasteners will come loose and water enters the inside of the of the door. It will freeze and expand. I have resealed it and now Jayco is going to do the same again. You have Challenger rear and side doors/patios. Also the railing system sucks, be careful of all those goofy little snaps. The pins will be come something that keeps you awake. They will break often, try WD 40 or something to lube them up.
I will be in Cortez Monday getting 480 watts of Solar installed and Grand Junction Tuesday thru Saturday.
I am not disappointed at all, just frustrated because we are living in this full time and having a steep learning curve on issues. Also, we don't have a ton of places that I can take it along our trip. We are moving fast. Actually at the KOA in Grand Junction today. We had a light come on our truck today coming in to town, so decided to stop and regroup for a few days. I have actually been more concerned about the water leak than the electric. Today in fact, when we connected to 50amp service, the GFCI reset and life is good on the electric side. We are learning about this generator living and certainly prefer shore power.

I will also say, Jayco and specifically Mike Aplin have been great. He answered my email last night while he was on vacation. I do however have very high expectations of this unit after spending what we did. I am sure we will get there. It's just tough when you live in it.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:03 PM   #9

Quote:

We too have had multiple electrical issues:
1. We are on our 3 transfer switch! I now carry an extra.
2. there is a fuse next to the battery cut off switch, 50 amp from factory. Blew it 3 times, Jayco said replace it with an 80 AMP resettable. They did.
3. Our Whirlpool Washer (2 cu stackable) has never worked on the Onan Generator. Had the Genset checked twice by Onan. There is a thread on this http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...her-34550.html
Because I am new to all of this, I am not even sure what a transfer switch is. I will get an 80amp re-setable fuse. I am quite sure that we won't be running the washer on the generator again until we can get this looked at. Oddly enough, the GFCI reset as soon as we connected to shore power and now all is good. Except for the leak, no one really seems to know what that is.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:50 PM   #10

Quote:
I haven't had the same issue. Our tanks were all empty. I had just emptied them. Also, the water is fresh water, definitely. There is a notice on my sink that says that the water line will freeze. I suppose I could insulate it if needed, but we haven't even gotten that far. I didn't see anywhere that said the ice maker was included in the extreme weather package. I have had another issue with the panel, and that's that the awning one lights won't work by switch, only by remote and the gas meter switch is reversed. It shows the fuel station when the generator is pushed.

Still no answer on the water leak though.
As for the water line to Fridge, at least you had a notice that the water line will freeze! We had no such notice and were told by CW that it was heated? NO it isn't. we have been waiting 6 weeks for switches to be replaced on the panel. I was working on the 4212 today, Fresh water tank says 1/3 and it is empty. Grey water 1 and 2 say 1/3 and empty.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Because I am new to all of this, I am not even sure what a transfer switch is. I will get an 80amp re-setable fuse. I am quite sure that we won't be running the washer on the generator again until we can get this looked at. Oddly enough, the GFCI reset as soon as we connected to shore power and now all is good. Except for the leak, no one really seems to know what that is.
The transfer switch is located behind the panel on the passenger side pass thru. It is a box that switches from Gen Power to Shore power. You will hear a loud noise under the steps when it switches. We prefer no RV parks, with our toy we boondock as much as possible. That is reason for our Solar investment.
Do you have surge protection? We did a hard wire last summer, big mistake. It failed in Mexico in November and had to pay electrician to remove. I now use a surge protector on the pedestal.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:05 AM   #12

Quote:
The transfer switch is located behind the panel on the passenger side pass thru. It is a box that switches from Gen Power to Shore power. You will hear a loud noise under the steps when it switches. We prefer no RV parks, with our toy we boondock as much as possible. That is reason for our Solar investment.
Do you have surge protection? We did a hard wire last summer, big mistake. It failed in Mexico in November and had to pay electrician to remove. I now use a surge protector on the pedestal.
We did buy a surge protector for the pedestals so that hopefully we can avoide that. I am not sure what you mean by you did a hard wire last year, but we do have a surge protector for when we are hooked to shore power. I don't have anything for when we are on gen power. We haven't boondocked much yet, only 1 night, but as we get further down the road here, I may invest in solar. I just want to get the coach running smooth first.

We now have another issue. With our tanks empty and hooked up to city water, I am having a small drip out of the "low point drain" on the curb side. It's not a lot, but it's consistent. Getting worried though that something isn't connected right.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:53 AM   #13

We also own this unit. We love it but have had some issues.
-Few screw heads pushing through on the floor
-Bedroom sliding closet door is making a scraping noise when being pushed
-The header on the pantry door was never nailed into place
-Tank sensors never work properly
-I have noticed recently that the wallpaper seam where wall panels meet (primarily going up the stairs and in the bedroom) seem to be "bubbling" out a bit
-Bedroom door latch is not seated properly and catches the plate on the trim.
-Of most concern so far is some dripping from the plastic water piping in the basement. I took the panels off last night to inspect it and I noticed a few of the connections in the central plumbing area are dripping. This is right behind where the main water inlet is.
snubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by snubber View Post
-I have noticed recently that the wallpaper seam where wall panels meet (primarily going up the stairs and in the bedroom) seem to be "bubbling" out a bit
-Of most concern so far is some dripping from the plastic water piping in the basement. I took the panels off last night to inspect it and I noticed a few of the connections in the central plumbing area are dripping. This is right behind where the main water inlet is.
Our floor was not right on delivery, they had to take the carpet loose and stretch the Buaeflor.
The bedroom doors were damaged in transport from Indiana. Had to wait 3 months for new ones.
Tanks sensors? Never worked right and still don't after 2 attempts to fix them. You have to cut the underbelly to repair and the flaps have come losse during travel.
I carry Pek pipe and the clamps always. You need a special too to crimp the clamps. Toilets leak and the hot and cold lines in master bath were reversed and leaked many times.
On 3 Rd transfer switch.
Took 8 weeks to fix front landing gear, the motor came off the top of the leg.
The 50 amp fuse in the battery compartment blew, Jayco said replace with 80 amp resettable. This left us without any batteries on a trip.
I could go on a And on but wont
Old 04-11-2016, 10:05 AM   #15

Same issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by snubber View Post
Wow, we have had some very similar issues. In fact, Mike Aplin at Jayco (designer of the 4212) is getting an email today about quality control. Our issues range from stupid oversights in quality control to major problems when one spends as much as we did on this. We have had the unit for just over 2 weeks now and I think we are up to nearly 20 issues, 5-6 of them are fairly concerning. Water leaking from under the rear toilet. The rear railings have already broken the poor weld that was used, carpet staples not pushed all of the way down so you step on them, a rip in the front awning, the molding under the cabinets over the sliding door has come loose, and a few just really minor stupid things like a switch not working or the remote not opening the front awning. But when you pay what we paid, I expect more. I will let you know how my email goes over.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:17 AM   #16

Please do. You can tell himAbout our issues if you wish. I plan to take it in to the dealer soon. Hopefully they will fix it all.
snubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #17

Quote:
The two biggest issues are:1. we had some water seeping out from under the pedestal of the rear toilet. I shut off the water checked the hoses and connections and then watched as water continued to come up from under the toilet at the base. Found about a 5' area with water on it. The grey and black tanks were empty, fresh water was full to mostly full. I assumed it was an issue with the toilet until we had some water back up in to our sink in the kitchen.
The porcelain foot flush toilets have an interior valve that will leak water through the toilet to the base and will continue to leak or continually run until fully depressurized. If the connections aren't leaking, that could be a possible cause. Also, your plumbing has "vents" usually located up under a sink to prevent a vacuum from forming. Make sure these aren't obstructed and are functioning properly.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:37 AM   #18

Similar issues

Vent from air conditioner started leaking with heavy rain. Hardware on slide had to be replaced, numerous issues since we purchased it new last Sept. I'm very disappointed in this unit.
mscarolh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscarolh View Post
Vent from air conditioner started leaking with heavy rain. Hardware on slide had to be replaced, numerous issues since we purchased it new last Sept. I'm very disappointed in this unit.
I feel your pain! We too are beyond disappointed. On our last trip the TV in the bedroom that comes up from dresser came completely off the wall. The screws attaching the mechanism to the wall weren't even in the stud? Our slide also is not operating again. Had a brake lock up and had to call roadside assistance.

11 months of disappointment and now all the issues that we have had we canceled our Alaska trip for this year.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:17 AM   #20

Angry

Quote:
I feel your pain! We too are beyond disappointed. On our last trip the TV in the bedroom that comes up from dresser came completely off the wall. The screws attaching the mechanism to the wall weren't even in the stud? Our slide also is not operating again. Had a brake lock up and had to call roadside assistance.

11 months of disappointment and now all the issues that we have had we canceled our Alaska trip for this year.
here is an e mail I sent to Jayco today.............

Just received a call from Camping World Albuquerque concerning the above referenced Seismic. We have struggled with this unit since delivery. I request you check the warranty issues since delivery on May 27, 2015. The unit has now been at Camping World service for a total of 5 months out of the last 11 month of ownership.

We have canceled our Alaska trip due to the on going warranty issues with this unit. We have had parts ordered thru warranty since March 2016. Still not complete at this time. Now the slide in living area has been on ongoing issue since delivery, it is now totally inoperative.

Camping World has been in touch with a Sara Gehrke in your technical Service Dept. concerning the slide issue. It is apparent that the slide has been unpowered and has required someone pushing on it to retract. We have been told that adding 6 rollers vs 3 and changing out the motors from 300:1 to 500:1 is now the solution? If this is the case can replacement parts be expedited to repairs this unit? This Seismic is our retirement, so far it hasn’t been much of pleasurable experience.

Last fall it took 7 ½ weeks to repair the Lippert front leveling jack, it is my hope this slide issue doesn’t take that long.

Please advise

Sincerely