Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2014, 07:41 PM   #1

Seismic, thoughts?

Hey all. About ready to pull the trigger on a Seismic, 3914 or 3712. More likely the 39. Before I do just looking for your thoughts good bad or indifferent from those who do or did own one.

Were a family in our thirties with two kids, teenagers(13, 16) and two labs.

Looking forward to the flexibility of the flexible space of the utility space. Queen bunks, high top tables, bench and tables, screened in porch, party deck, recliners for a game, room for kayaks, a quad, etc.

She's a biggin. 48-50' with the back ramp down.

Thanks in advance for your input.
P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #2

I think you will really like it for the room. We have a 3210, hauling a RZR and a 92 lb. Black Lab with us. Other than switching out the dinette seating for something more comfortable, there isn't a thing we would change. Have been living in ours full time since May 2013.
Oliver Farmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:09 PM   #3

Thanks. We have choice of 4 seat theatre seating or two place couch with adjacent dinette booth. Were leaning toward the 4 place theater recliners. Your thoughts?
Old 03-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #4

Decision between the 3712 and 3914. Still think the 3914 is a better deal. Question on the rear utility room. Kids (13 and 16 not so much kids) will sleep there at night. Does the A/C blow pretty good in there and does it sleep pretty comfortably at night? Were hauling a quad and a kayak.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:12 PM   #5

I picked the 3914 because of the 14' garage , wife picked it for the bathroom space . Had a 12' garage on last unit , the extra 2' is a huge benefit for me and what I haul . I would recommend the added awning option , love that one . The patio door that connects the garage to rest of coach is another feature we love , if you want to use both spaces it gives the impression of one large living space instead of two smaller spaces or you can close door and curtain for privacy . couch and bed are comfortable in garage .
2013 Can am commander 1000 cc camo xt. 2003 Harley Davidson road king
slaw32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:46 PM   #6

You should camp with that Seismic at Yellowstone. I just heard they had a 4.8 seismic event there yesterday.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:40 AM   #7

Thanks Slaw. You reaffirmed my thoughts! Hey do you have one or two AC units installed on that and if you've used it in the summer throughout the entire coach with rear door closed how does the AC keep up? Investing in the 2nd unit we think but wanted your opinion. And we definately went with the second and third awning! How can you beat that.

Dewey, good one!
Old 04-01-2014, 06:54 AM   #8

Get the second ac unit . There are going to be days that you may need it . Just like the extra room in the garage , I would rather have it and not need it , than need it and not have it
Old 04-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #9

Agreed. Thanks Slaw. Where do you guys take her? Do you have issues with the rig length and camping sites? Figure need 50' to put the back deck down. That's my only concern. Hope I don't severely limit my choices. Having that Onan on board will open up lots of state parks , etc that otherwise wouldn't be overnightable. (Other than an external boat anchor gen sets)

Thanks again.

Paperwork enroute to sign. Deep breath. Pretty exciting though.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #10

size does matter. i used to drive a big truck for a living , so pulling a 44' trailer isnt anything new to me . you do need to think 2 turns ahead of you . most of the campgrounds have places for these long of trailers . as long as trailer tires are on parking surface , not on grass you are ok . with a trailer like the 3914 approx 12' overhang on rearend , making footprint much shorter .
Old 04-03-2014, 11:50 AM   #11

I did add a hardwired rear facing camera system . Had to . Could not see end of trailer out pass. Side mirror . Now can see behind and to both sides , much better . I think jayco should have a rear facing viewing option , especially on a unit of this length .
Old 04-03-2014, 12:00 PM   #12

Which one did you buy slaw? I agree, it should be an option or standard like a MC.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:47 PM   #13

Its a voyager , 5.5 In monitor , single wide angle camera . Talk to Tim at r v cams . Com . He knows his stuff . I believe they advertise on this forum .
Old 04-13-2014, 01:31 PM   #14

I'm a little late reading this thread, but we have the 3914 for just over a year now and love it. I personally would go with the recliners as I don't think the U shaped couch in the kitchen is all that comfortable.

I don't know if you're give the option, but if you are, I would look at replacing the roll down screen between the garage and patio deck with something different. If not, make sure you think of something you can put on it so you know it's there. We walked into it all the time (maybe it's just senior moments )

Never had a problem finding a spot for it. We stayed mostly in state parks in Ohio.

We tow it with the F350 Super Duty dually and it does fine, although I think it's maxed out.

Enjoy it. It's a great camper/house
Now with Firestone AirBags
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:51 PM   #15

Hi Kenny, I'm was really thrilled to read your reply. We will be picking her up in a couple weeks. I really believe this rig is perfect for our family. We did get the theatre recliners, I was a little reluctant but I've heard now three times owners say the U isn't great. So in the interest of full disclosure, I as well as the dogs will hit the screen door in the slider here at home at least once per summer, so I can fully understand the roll down screen issue! Were pulling with a '14 Ram 3500 DRW, however I will be interested to see how bogged down she is with the monster. 44' is a biggin', and there are a lot of campsites listing 'no big rigs' here in CT, just purchased the Big Rigs Best Bets book and online subscription, which is helpful, but my guess is there are more sites out there that have maybe one or two spots that can accommodate, and best part is with the gen, we don't need hookups, so I will be doing some research to find out if we can take this into a park, forest, etc that doesn't necessarily have 'RV' parking.

Keeping an eye on that fuel tank issue, PDI in two weeks, however trying to explain this to the dealer (there a recall coming that you don't know about yet) looks like an exercise in futility, but I would love to have it fixed before so even take delivery.

Keep the good news flow in'! I'm grateful for the Seismic group here, seems not only did I get a Jayco, but a special model at that, unique I guess we can say!

Never thought I'd be a tractor trailer driver though... Doh!
Old 04-14-2014, 06:24 AM   #16

Ok. Good luck. Oh... and the screen issue. To make matters worse, it's right at the bottom of the floor drop off to the ramp. So not only do you hit the screen, it can knock you down because you don't have the footing of a level, flat floor.
I wasn't aware of a fuel tank issue (haven't been lurking much lately). I'll look into it.

Best of luck.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:44 AM   #17

Hey Kenny... 73 de W1HVN. Any mobile setup in that? Shoot me a PM if you wanna talk radio or airplanes.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:50 AM   #18

Ok. So I finally took a 3 hour drive to the dealer and picked up the seismic and brought it back last night. Among a fee other issues (was somewhat of a rushed demo) I'm having issues with this leveling system. It's an LCI panel with an Atwood "brain" and electrical actuators. When I attempt to auto level on a hard pretty level surface, when the rear jacks begin to raise the rear end they seem to struggle and the motors finally torque out and the panel will either shut off and turn back on and then give an error of "out of stroke" or just go to the error. What's interesting is the middle set of jacks don't do the kiss thee ground test nor do they move to assist the rear jacks. Thoughts? The test at the dealer seemed to go fine. They did tell me if I screw up the sequence at all the system goes into confused and screwed up mode. I just think something's not right if the middle jacks don't move. Are they considered rear jacks as well and move in conjunction with the aft set? Long post I know. Thanks for any info in advance. I'm not happy at all about this.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #19

Wow. Sorry to hear you are having problems right out of the box. And I'm more sorry that I can't help you. I have never owned auto level jacks and don't know a thing about them.
I'm sure someone in the forum should be able to help though.

Ken
Old 05-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #20

Update: spent a few hours with unit this morning. Made progress. Error in my first post, this is an LCI system, panel brain, ETC. I'm hitting out of stroke error because i extended the front landing gear extensions too much with the pin. So brought them up a few pin positions and it gets the front end lower so the rear jacks aren't trying to raise the back end to match the distance from the ground in the front. They were trying to raise the back end off the wheels. So I got unit level but still getting the out of stroke in back corner which still is nearing full travel. I found the mid body gear don't extend until auto level mode reaches auto level successful then it drops the mids to just add support without changing body angles. That's where I stand. Got to 0.1 left to right last try before rear jack hit the stroke error but got a green center light. Couple more times of trial and error and I should be good. System otherwise seems to be working as advertised. Anyone with experience with this, Id appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.