Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2018, 02:06 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam2alan View Post
My wife and I are considering purchasing a side by side to bring along behind our Greyhawk 31FK. Can anyone point me in the right direction to do the necessary research, reviews and to better understand what I am getting into with a vehicle like this? We are looking to use them on backcountry, forest service roads. We are not planning on doing any rock crawling to very little to no sanddune driving.
Any information would be appreciated. Hopefully this is the proper location for this post.
Thank you in advance.
I did a lot of looking around and even joined an ATV club prior to buying my Polaris RZR 900. It is a trail model (48" wide) which I need for some of the forestry roads I travel on and it is definitely just small enough for some of the trails my ATV club has developed through slash and bush. I tried the wildcat 1000 4 seater and while I loved it I decided it was not right for my purposes. I also demoed a Yamaha 800 and was very impressed by the handling and performance but the asking price of a new unit was too rich for this retired person. We have used our RZR for the summer and I am very impressed with it. Good luck in your search. I think you'll enjoy a sxs whatever model you get.
GDBurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:31 PM   #22

We use a Kawasaki Mule. Great machine. Governed to 25 mph so you don't wind up in a morgue.
blacklabbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:33 PM   #23

Saw "Side By Sides" and thought it was a post on quail guns
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklabbob View Post
We use a Kawasaki Mule. Great machine. Governed to 25 mph so you don't wind up in a morgue.
Please be careful with these things, and wear your seatbelt. Someone I work with was just killed when he tipped his machine over on a trail. He wasn’t belted in, he fell out, and the machine landed on him. It can happen so fast and to anyone.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:40 PM   #25

If you are looking for a 4 seater make sure it will fit in your toy hauler. The length may be a problem. Also none of the 4 seaters are the trail size.
Tucson Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:41 PM   #26

Not this time, maybe my next post! ��
Iam2alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:43 PM   #27

Thanks Tucson Joe, it will be trailered and I have been learning about the width issues and being allowed on certain trails. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #28

Thank you for the info, I will take a look.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:49 PM   #29

Thanks GD, lots of information to sort through. It is a good idea on the ATV club, I may at least reach out to them. I am sure they would be willing to share their information.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:43 AM   #30

I live in AZ and have a 2016 Polaris XP1000 2 seat. I belong to a very large club 746 members/470 UTV's. Most of the members drive Polaris but more and more buying CanAM X3's. The thing about Polaris is you can but just about every accessory. That said lets talk about trailers. I have (2) open and enclosed. I use the open for short local runs less that 50 miles. My main trailer is a 18' enclosed Halmark. Be sure you get the wide model with the extra height. I have a lot of toys and still need more room so I store my SxS in the trailer. When you go somewhere you do not have to worry about rain or rocks breaking your windshield or theft of parts. I went to Marysvale Ut. for the last couple of years and had no problem with narrow trails and I am 68" wide.
Don't plan on using the UTV as a extra car they are made for offroad. Beware most states are not UTV friendly. The most used Polaris site is rzr forum. If you are going to buy a used UTV take it to a UTV mechanic to have it inspected. Things can happen bent frames, blown trans. or engine etc.
Remember a UTV is a money pit just like a RV or Boat but you only live once.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:12 AM   #31

I have a 2012 RZR 800 with power steering, and have never had it to the polaris shop for anything and never had a recall, I have however taken it to my mechanic to have it razed 2" windend to 49" so it will fit between the posts on trails. Also had him put on a winch special outlaw tires, and a stereo, and winch. love it
dabrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by putz View Post
I live in AZ and have a 2016 Polaris XP1000 2 seat. I belong to a very large club 746 members/470 UTV's. Most of the members drive Polaris but more and more buying CanAM X3's. The thing about Polaris is you can but just about every accessory. That said lets talk about trailers. I have (2) open and enclosed. I use the open for short local runs less that 50 miles. My main trailer is a 18' enclosed Halmark. Be sure you get the wide model with the extra height. I have a lot of toys and still need more room so I store my SxS in the trailer. When you go somewhere you do not have to worry about rain or rocks breaking your windshield or theft of parts. I went to Marysvale Ut. for the last couple of years and had no problem with narrow trails and I am 68" wide.
Don't plan on using the UTV as a extra car they are made for offroad. Beware most states are not UTV friendly. The most used Polaris site is rzr forum. If you are going to buy a used UTV take it to a UTV mechanic to have it inspected. Things can happen bent frames, blown trans. or engine etc.
Remember a UTV is a money pit just like a RV or Boat but you only live once.
note that this post references "most states not UTV friendly". That's why we bought an Oreion Reeper Meets all street legal requirements for licensing. been in 25 states now over 3+ years and no hassles.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:59 AM   #33

I miss our RZR. Now I want a can am sxs. Just thought I would share.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:25 AM   #34

We primarily dry camp or boondock. We love to hunt and fish so we end up off grid a lot. We had single passenger standard ATVs for a couple years, they were nice and did most of what we needed. After we sold them, we went a year without anything and ended up with a Polaris Ranger 6x6 sxs. This things was great and like the old ATVs did almost everything we needed. It had the power and cargo and towing capability we needed in a sxs. Again, though, we ended up selling it because it just didn't fit ALL of the wickets we were looking for.
Finally, we ended up with a new purchase that does absolutely everything we need. We now have an Argo 8x8. We love this thing. It doesn't go fast at all. It is super stable, and as their unofficial motto says: "Argo Go Where Others Can't", this is solid fact. We climb obstacles, hills, rocks, trails, trek through muskeg and mud holes that ATVs and other sxs's only dream of going. Because these things are amphibious, it doubles as a boat in mountain lakes and such. It is not much longer than a polaris rzr. Yet, it can seat 6 people, has a cargo capacity of 1100pounds, and a towing capacity of 1800 lbs. With tracks on it, it powers through snow very nicely.
I realize the OP was not needing anything with this much capability, but I thought I would mention it anyway. Just another option to look into.

https://argoxtv.com/
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:53 PM   #35

That’s a exceptional “TOY”, Navgun40
I’m just trying to find a jazzy Gas Golf cart to putt around in at campgrounds, IMSA races or boondocks spots with the GKids. That Reper looks great but it’s to much like a “car” and probably more then I need although I’m concerned about being allowed to use a GC at NP campgrounds trying to get a difinative answer as to will a NP compound allow a GC for campground use is proving difficult. I anticipate my use of a “toy” will mostly be at racetracks and state and NP campgrounds. No trail ridding that I can foresee
Anyone’s input as to GC use and experiences would be appreciated.
I’m getting a 222 SL end of SEP delivery I’m told.
Gogrampa is offline   Reply With Quote