Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-16-2023, 10:29 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Brunswick
Posts: 14
Slow draining gray tank . . .

I'm dealing with a slow draining main gray tank on my 2021 4113. Every once in awhile it will woosh empty as it should. I'm also not sure if I'm getting a complete empty or not.

I first tried some remedies to address food and sludge buildup - boiling water, baking soda and vinegar and dishwasher detergent. No luck with those three separate solutions.

I also purchased one of the clear elbows with a hose connection. Using a Valterra gate valve downstream of the elbow, I was able to backfill the gray tank and flush it several times. Seems to drain fine that way most of the time.

I believe I'm down to a bad vent or an obstruction in the tank (thinking a slug of plastic from when they drilled the tank out). Checking the vent seems like the logical first step. I only have one vent on the roof up front and assume that one is the black tank. For the gray tank am I looking for one of those capped valves (air admittance valve) somewhere in the underbelly? Any help would be appreciated.
Ranger413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 10:05 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Hendertuckey
Posts: 15
Have you tried pouring a bag off ice down the tank and immediately follow it by a drive with the trailer. The ice will hopefully break up what you have in the tank that's causing your issue.

I had used one of those alleged disposable black tank deodorants treatments and the lining got stuck on my fill sensors. No matter what I did, (trailer's build in flush/top wash wand) it would not clear until I did the ice method..

Good luck!
__________________
Magnetic Gray, 2017 Ford F-250SD Lariat, 160" WB, w/Heavy Tow Package, Air Lift LoadLifter 7500 XL ULTIMATE Airbags, FX4 4x4, 3.55 Eletro-Locking Axle, Curt A20k Sliding F.W. Hitch with Curt Rota-flex King Pin Box.
JDsRVcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 10:16 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 13,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger413 View Post
For the gray tank am I looking for one of those capped valves (air admittance valve) somewhere in the underbelly? Any help would be appreciated.
That will not be in the underbelly, but in the cabinet under the sinks.
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 10:19 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Route 66 Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kingman, AZ
Posts: 1,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger413 View Post
an obstruction in the tank (thinking a slug of plastic from when they drilled the tank out).
Thatís what my problem was. Mine had a straight drain pipe and I was able to remove it using a long wire. Mine would take about 10 minutes to drain 5 gallons.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:10 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Brunswick
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
That will not be in the underbelly, but in the cabinet under the sinks.
Correct:

I traced the vent lines from both the black and gray tanks. They go up the wall just to the right of the stove behind the kitchen cabinets. I am not able to see the pipes above the base cabinets. I tried running a camera up the wall to see if the gray line tops out or if the two pipes merge before the roof. Unfortunately, my camera wouldn't track up the pipes far enough to see.
Ranger413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:12 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,115
You're at the point I would stop and post here. So I'm just wishing you good fortune on finding the problem.
__________________
2017 JayFlight 21QB
2021 Ford F150 SCrew 3.5 Eco, 157Ē, 3.55, Tow Pkg
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: South eastern
Posts: 6
I would think an obstruction, since it changes when you backfill. the vent would make the drains gurgle when it is struggling to replace the fluid with air.
Ogerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:25 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Brunswick
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogerjohn View Post
I would think an obstruction, since it changes when you backfill. the vent would make the drains gurgle when it is struggling to replace the fluid with air.
I do get the gurgling when the tank drains slow. Other times, like when we have water in the shower or the sink (full tank), we get a good drain. It varies though, sometimes it'll be a whoosh with a lot of rumbling. Other times, what would look like a normal (medium flow) drain.

I saw a video where a guy located his gray tank air admittance valve behind a wall. He ended up extending the pipe up to the roof where he installed a traditional roof vent. Since I lost sight of the gray tank vent behind my kitchen cabinets, I wouldn't be surprised if this was my situation. Either that, or the gray tank vent has to join with the black tank vent before the roof, which I think would be a no no.
Ranger413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:25 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: South eastern
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger413 View Post
I do get the gurgling when the tank drains slow. Other times, like when we have water in the shower or the sink (full tank), we get a good drain. It varies though, sometimes it'll be a whoosh with a lot of rumbling. Other times, what would look like a normal (medium flow) drain.

I saw a video where a guy located his gray tank air admittance valve behind a wall. He ended up extending the pipe up to the roof where he installed a traditional roof vent. Since I lost sight of the gray tank vent behind my kitchen cabinets, I wouldn't be surprised if this was my situation. Either that, or the gray tank vent has to join with the black tank vent before the roof, which I think would be a no no.
Just remember that they are not necessarily built to building code. I would check the roof for the vent. I would think there is one for each tank through a wall to the roof. You might be able to contact Jayco about if they have a plumbing diagram as to where and what is thins are located.
Ogerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:01 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
TWP723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 6,106
I realized on my Montana, I have to literally lean it to the DS to fully drain the tank. I don't know if the tank is mounted weird or what but noticed a dramatic difference in the draining. I have a clear elbow at the drain and as soon as I leaned it to the DS, it gushed out.
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2021 Keystone Montana 3121RL
2013 F350 6.7L 4x4 CCLB
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zerô WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:03 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Brunswick
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogerjohn View Post
Just remember that they are not necessarily built to building code. I would check the roof for the vent. I would think there is one for each tank through a wall to the roof. You might be able to contact Jayco about if they have a plumbing diagram as to where and what is thins are located.
I have two vents in the rear but only one up front. Assuming the one up front is the black. Unless, like I said, the two merge into one.
Ranger413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.