Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-05-2017, 05:15 PM   #1

Tailgate capacity

So this weekend I was at the University of Washington football game and had a bunch of people tailgating in my Seismic Wave 355W. I had the lift gate down for the porch and people were coming and going and hanging out on it. Long story short, I was inside the trailer when one of the D rings failed and the gate dropped an inch or two and was barely hanging on to the contact point. The steel contact point on the passenger side bent outwards some from all the force.

My question is, what is the max weight capacity of our ramp/door when used as a porch? Does anyone know what the tensile strength is of the cables? I'm gonna be replacing the small D rings to something more robust, so it won't be such a weak point.

Anyone use theirs as a porch and use anything under the door so all the weight is not on the cables?

I thank you in advance.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2017, 09:34 PM   #2

There should be a sticker on the platform (usually on the side) that gives the weight rating for when it is used as a deck and as a ramp.
theracqueteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morfoot View Post

So this weekend I was at the University of Washington football game and had a bunch of people tailgating in my Seismic Wave 355W. I had the lift gate down for the porch and people were coming and going and hanging out on it. Long story short, I was inside the trailer when one of the D rings failed and the gate dropped an inch or two and was barely hanging on to the contact point. The steel contact point on the passenger side bent outwards some from all the force.

My question is, what is the max weight capacity of our ramp/door when used as a porch? Does anyone know what the tensile strength is of the cables? I'm gonna be replacing the small D rings to something more robust, so it won't be such a weak point.

Anyone use theirs as a porch and use anything under the door so all the weight is not on the cables?

I thank you in advance.

Mike

Make sure you look for the next weakest link.. unfortunately it may be something that is harder to repair... that D ring is the weakest link for a reason... to keep from breaking something else that is MUCH more expensive to repair... like a buckled platform...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
Make sure you look for the next weakest link.. unfortunately it may be something that is harder to repair... that D ring is the weakest link for a reason... to keep from breaking something else that is MUCH more expensive to repair... like a buckled platform...

Very true and great point! I'm going to keep a closer eye on the people out on the porch next time for sure! I need to know the weight capacity so I know only "4" people or what have ya can be on it at a time.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 11-08-2017, 02:34 PM   #5

So I went to the dealership yesterday. I was informed the load capacity of the patio deck was 2000lbs and the door itself is 2500lbs when it's used as a ramp. I just wanted to give an update. With that being said, I'm gonna put a max of 7 people on the patio at a time and put some stronger clips on the cables. I think I'm also gonna look for some type of jacks to put under the ramp to use at a little more stabilizing and peace of mind.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:03 AM   #6

Just a thought

I have an Octane 273. It doesn't have a "patio" per se, but I had gone to Home Depot and bought some pre-cut lengths of 3" pvc. They had some nice couplers and a plastic piece that makes a good base.

IT works to stabilize the door for a patio. Works pretty good.

I will try to send a pic.
Octane2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane2Go View Post
I have an Octane 273. It doesn't have a "patio" per se, but I had gone to Home Depot and bought some pre-cut lengths of 3" pvc. They had some nice couplers and a plastic piece that makes a good base.

IT works to stabilize the door for a patio. Works pretty good.

I will try to send a pic.
Any luck with that photo?
Old 11-15-2017, 05:08 PM   #8

Smile

If everybody drinks "LIGHT" beer you may be able to add another person
Old 11-15-2017, 05:37 PM   #9

It's always Coors Light...unless its pay day and I'm rich for a few hours, then it's IPA's!
Old 11-30-2017, 07:40 AM   #10

Apologies. We had packed things up for the winter already and these were too easy to get to. :-)

All these parts were bought stock at Home Depot. No tools required. We use the plastic orange leveling pads to adjust hight as needed.
Octane2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:57 PM   #11

Morfoot,

Just seeing your post here now. While i have not experienced your issue with our 355W (and i hope i don't) i have had and still do have an issue with the door itself bending.
Late last season we had 4 of us on the patio at one point. Later at the end of camping when i closed the door i noticed light coming through in the middle at the top between the door and the seal. After further investigation i found the door was actually bent and the hinges are sinking into the fiberglass outer shell. Sounds like Jayco will replace the door but this concerns me as what is to stop it from happening again? It should be able to handle 4 people none of which were over 200lbs. I also found you need to be 100% sure the door is fully supported when loading any toys (i have a Harley Ultra Classic) into the back. My dealer supplied me for free additional bumpers to add in addition to the 3 already installed to provide additional contact points with the ground but i am still very careful to make sure the door is supported before loading. I would be curious to know if you had (or will) any of these similar issues with 7 people on your patio?
Attached Thumbnails
InkedRear door photos Sept 2017 (5)_LI.jpg   InkedRear door photos Sept 2017 (10)_LI.jpg   InkedRear door photos Sept 2017 (11)_LI.jpg  
Wilsonbryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:04 AM   #12

Thanks for posting these pictures! It helps to know what the weak points are on these units.
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:58 PM   #13

I use jack stands to support the ramp in lieu of cables. Each jack is rated at 1500 lbs.
Ethosb is offline   Reply With Quote