Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2016, 10:15 AM   #1

Tailgater Camp Kitchen

Our 355W came with the tailgater camp kitchen, and I was wondering if anyone who has one could give their opinion about how useful it is?

We boondock a lot and I'm thinking the mini fridge will not be of much use. We have camped three times so far and I haven't even set it up yet. I do like to cook outside, especially bacon, which is a staple when we camp!

I originally thought about removing the tailgater, but the way it's mounted, it would be quite a job to remove the brackets. I did not look for this option when purchasing this unit, but this unit was priced so good and already had it and I couldn't pass it up.

It is kind of a pain to have to open it up to swing it out of the way to open the rear door. Am I missing something about how useful it is?
Turtle Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:51 PM   #2

Could you post a pic? I don't know what it looks like
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:55 PM   #3

We don't have that exact kitchen, but our 29QBS came with an exterior kitchen. I would have never paid extra for it as an option (at the time), but it is a standard feature in our 2015.

Now that we have it, I don't see us ever getting another camper without an exterior kitchen! We use it ALL THE TIME!

Cooking bacon in the morning with no smell or grease splatter inside... cooking sausage, peppers, onions and potatoes with no smell... tacos with no smell... garlicky spaghetti with no smell... its a great feature to have.

We rarely, if ever, use the inside kitchen. Hope you like yours as much as we love ours!!!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowemca View Post
Could you post a pic? I don't know what it looks like
I cant get the one picture I have to download. I will take pics Tues when I pick it up for a trip we have planned.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:35 PM   #5

We do the same Spoon. About the only thing we cook inside is eggs and pancakes. I have always used a coleman stove for cooking outside.
This might work out, just can be a pain to have to open it to release the latch to swing it around when I need to open the rear ramp.
Going to set it up this next trip and try it out. Who knows, might end up loving it like you?
Old 06-12-2016, 06:17 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
We don't have that exact kitchen, but our 29QBS came with an exterior kitchen. I would have never paid extra for it as an option (at the time), but it is a standard feature in our 2015.

Now that we have it, I don't see us ever getting another camper without an exterior kitchen! We use it ALL THE TIME!

Cooking bacon in the morning with no smell or grease splatter inside... cooking sausage, peppers, onions and potatoes with no smell... tacos with no smell... garlicky spaghetti with no smell... its a great feature to have.

We rarely, if ever, use the inside kitchen. Hope you like yours as much as we love ours!!!
I'd love something like that. As it is I bring a tailgating Coleman grill and do almost all of my cooking on that. I've only used the inside stovetop twice and the oven once.

I still have cousins that insist on cooking over an open fire. They spend hours preparing the fire to cook. I just sit there with a drink in my hand wondering why they still do it the hard way.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Tim View Post
I cant get the one picture I have to download. I will take pics Tues when I pick it up for a trip we have planned.
Here's the Y Tube link from the Louisville RV show:
It starts at 21:40 into show............
First good thing Mike Alpin has done, however I won't buy one for my 2015 Seismic.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:17 AM   #8

Used it a few times on our week long trip we just got back from. Fridge is not very useful when dry camping. I did like the stove and the counter space. It is low, and I found that my camp chair was the perfect height to sit while cooking.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/at...1&d=1467094567
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/at...1&d=1467094573
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1146.jpg   IMG_1147.jpg  
Old 07-25-2022, 02:00 AM   #9

Does anyone have the tailgator camp kitchen for a jayco seismic that they are not using or just want to sell? If so please contact me @ stevenhopper1972@gmail.com
Thank you
Hopsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 02:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Tim View Post
Used it a few times on our week long trip we just got back from. Fridge is not very useful when dry camping. I did like the stove and the counter space. It is low, and I found that my camp chair was the perfect height to sit while cooking.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/a...1&d=1467094567
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/a...1&d=1467094573
Interesting how this is different from the 2018 version. On mine the stove is in the upper section on the left. The BBQ goes under it for storage.
atlantaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 04:34 AM   #11
Kmo

I have the same set up as the pics. on my Seismic, i got rid of the two burner stove and carry a Tregor Ranger only thing is when my camper is level my stove fridge etc is not so I have to shim everything up to be useful, just another screw up by Jayco, plus side I have my slide working again 9 3rd time at between 28 and 3500 a pop). trying to make a appointement with Brian from Vroom slides to actually get it fixed properly and never have to deal with lippert again on their slides ( bitter yes).
Kmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 02:34 PM   #12

So how can we buy one, has anyone figured that out?

h3is3m2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 07:06 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3is3m2n View Post
So how can we buy one, has anyone figured that out?
I'm going to take a guess that Jayco only offered that exact tailgater for a couple of years, since this thread is from 2016, and the 355W was a short run model. You might get lucky if someone still has one and wants to sell it. I did google 'tailgater' and came up with a lot of variables out there.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 01:58 PM   #14

We have a 2021 Seismic 4113 and out tailgater has the 17" Blackstone griddle and the mini fridge. I use the tailgater positioned against the side of the trailer instead of perpendicular. So far, I enjoy using the Blackstone but the fridge serves as storage for paper towels, plates and other small items. I have only plugged it in once to see if it worked.

I have plans to modify the tailgater box a bit. I want to add a shelf above the Blackstone as there is a lot of wasted space there. Another option would be to remove the mini fridge and add in a shelving system in it's place. One other mod I have planed is to add some folding legs to the box's front edge. This will add some stability to the box when cooking and cleaning up the grill. Something like this . . .

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Fur...72&sr=8-9&th=1

I'll post up some pics once I mod up the box.
Ranger413 is offline   Reply With Quote