Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2019, 09:20 AM   #1

Talon Owners, Check Your Brakes

Mine is in the shop for the second time in less than a year to get all four brakes replaced. Jade the brakes replaced under warranty at the end of last year. The current set only had 2 trips and 1,600 miles on them and they were shot.

Being replaced again under warranty. I’m concerned if this keeps happening after my warranty expires next spring.
Ugeesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:30 AM   #2

Why? Worn linings, leaky grease seals, not properly adjusted, overheating? How did you notice they were "shot"?

Highly unusual...mine are 2 1/2 years old with 6000 miles traveled and hardly show any signs of wear.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:40 AM   #3

Worn linings. The last Trip out the brakes we’re sounding a little rough and after the trip we could hear metal on metal. Sure enough when we pulled a tire there was no pad on the rear side of the axle.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:40 AM   #4

This doesn’t sound like a problem with the brakes themselves. If they are wearing out that fast there has to be an underlying cause such as a bad brake controller or driver over use.
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:53 PM   #5

^^^^ definitely something to check though I have a factory brake controller in my 2018 GMC and I don’t think I’ve overused the trailer brakes. At least not to wear them out in 1600 miles.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:42 PM   #6

Looking around the net to see if anyone else had this problem Mind had one wheel that seemed like the brake was over adjusted. Mine had less than 5000 miles on it and a year old. I was packing the bearing and found that the driver side front drum had the paint burned off it. I removed the drum and found the shoes worn to the metal and the drum toasted too. It's at the shop for them to look at on Monday. Hope Jayco will take care of it.
Attached Thumbnails
20200229_141851.jpg   20200229_142230.jpg   20200229_142226.jpg   20200229_142235.jpg  
PistonSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:57 AM   #7

PistonSlap. Looking at your pictures it looks like you lifted the wheel by the axle. If so, check your springs now. The clearance from the top of the tire to the bottom of the trailer should be around 3 1/2”. Lifting the tire by the axle will bend the spring and will shorten that distance to only 2”.

My trailer has been in the shop since December getting the springs replaced due to this issue. Fortunately, Jayco is taking care of the replacement under warranty.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugeesta View Post
PistonSlap. Looking at your pictures it looks like you lifted the wheel by the axle. If so, check your springs now. The clearance from the top of the tire to the bottom of the trailer should be around 3 1/2”. Lifting the tire by the axle will bend the spring and will shorten that distance to only 2”.

My trailer has been in the shop since December getting the springs replaced due to this issue. Fortunately, Jayco is taking care of the replacement under warranty.
That seems to be strange to me for this reason. The axle is attached to the wheel assembly and if the wheel travels over a speed bump or curb it would be similar to pushing the wheel up. (At least that's the theory in my head) I will check it out and I appreciate the information. I need to fabricate an attachment for my jack to reach the frame.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugeesta View Post

I did some digging around and found this manual from Lippart. Page 5 says don't jack up on the axle! That seems crazy to me but I, not the engineer that designed it!
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...9&d=1317913376
Old 03-12-2020, 08:12 AM   #10

I recently had all my springs replaced under warranty. they had all sagged and axle had made contact with the frame. They told me they upgraded to 4k springs. Originally was 3500# springs.
Brooksb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:25 AM   #11

Same per Dexter, lift off the frame not off the axle. You'll bend the axle and end up with uneven/excessive tire wear.
As far as the brakes wearing out that fast, there could be an issue with the controller sending just a little bit of voltage causing a constant small amount of drag.
But, if was dragging that bad to wear out in 1600mi, youd think the drums would be heat discolored.
Way to tell is run it like 20 or 30 miles and take a temp reading with an IR gun.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:10 AM   #12

Mine was only one drum and the paint was burned off the drum. All the others looked and felt good. I would speculate at first a brake controller problem but with only one brake out of four (my problem not the OP) that leads me to think wiring problem and I'm only using one brake to stop the whole trailer or brake problem. I checked my wiring to find it was correct and working for all the brakes.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksb View Post
I recently had all my springs replaced under warranty. they had all sagged and axle had made contact with the frame. They told me they upgraded to 4k springs. Originally was 3500# springs.
3500# springs sounds like they messed up at the factory. if the GVW is 16k (for my Talon, not sure what yours is) 4k would be a stock spring.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Same per Dexter, lift off the frame not off the axle. You'll bend the axle and end up with uneven/excessive tire wear.
As far as the brakes wearing out that fast, there could be an issue with the controller sending just a little bit of voltage causing a constant small amount of drag.
But, if was dragging that bad to wear out in 1600mi, youd think the drums would be heat discolored.
Way to tell is run it like 20 or 30 miles and take a temp reading with an IR gun.
I think the manufacturers have to say that because there are certain people out there that would try and jack up an axle in the middle causing it to bend and what not.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonSlap View Post
3500# springs sounds like they messed up at the factory. if the GVW is 16k (for my Talon, not sure what yours is) 4k would be a stock spring.
Nope. That's how they come. The extra weight is on ur truck. They have 7k axles for that same reason. But the talon is made in the eagle plant for 2020. So they have made a lot of needed upgrades. I read those have 7400 axels. Which I'm guessing is just upgraded springs. my new springs have extra leaves!
Attached Thumbnails
20200216_170601.jpg  
Old 03-12-2020, 01:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Nope. That's how they come. The extra weight is on ur truck. They have 7k axles for that same reason. But the talon is made in the eagle plant for 2020. So they have made a lot of needed upgrades. I read those have 7400 axels. Which I'm guessing is just upgraded springs. my new springs have extra leaves!
Yeah those are massive compared to what I got. You said your springs had collapsed and the axles were touching the frame?
Old 03-12-2020, 06:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Yeah those are massive compared to what I got. You said your springs had collapsed and the axles were touching the frame?
Yep, smacked the frame and left 2 dents in it. All 4 had touch the top on the wheel well. Even smashed one of my break wires in to.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Yep, smacked the frame and left 2 dents in it. All 4 had touch the top on the wheel well. Even smashed one of my break wires in to.
When I looked at mine there was quite a bit of room in there. Definitely going to keep an eye on it.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:30 PM   #19

Quote:
When I looked at mine there was quite a bit of room in there. Definitely going to keep an eye on it.
I've spoken with another talon owner that said his tires have made contact with the metal sheet metal in the top of the wheel well. But I'm not sure if he has taken it to get looked at.
That's how I found out I had issues. I bought tire covers, and looking to see how I was gonna get them on, noticed the tires had been touching wheel wells. So I took it in for sum other warranty work and had them check it. Dealer found that I had dents in the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
received_438690173518265.jpg  
Old 03-13-2020, 03:50 PM   #20

Quote:
I've spoken with another talon owner that said his tires have made contact with the metal sheet metal in the top of the wheel well. But I'm not sure if he has taken it to get looked at.
That's how I found out I had issues. I bought tire covers, and looking to see how I was gonna get them on, noticed the tires had been touching wheel wells. So I took it in for sum other warranty work and had them check it. Dealer found that I had dents in the frame.
That is crazy. I want to see what mine looks like now!