Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2019, 01:55 PM   #1

toilet location....

on our Octane 161 I was just curious as to why the toilet is not closer to the exterior wall. There is a good 6 inches at least behind it but when one uses it it seems like your knees are right up against the door. Just wondering why it's so centered in the bathroom.....
supercraig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:13 PM   #2

Yes its tight. We are trying to find some storage racks at least to use that empty space.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:32 PM   #3

Might be due to where the poo tank is located underneath, like next to a frame rail. We had a trailer with a toilet as you describe, knees against the door when seated.

Asked the dealer what could be done about it. As they had dealt with this before, they made a "step" next to the wall and put a low profile toilet on the step. The plumbing was altered by two 45 degree pieces of pipe to allow the flushed matter to still drop into the poo tank. Worked well!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:56 AM   #4

Hah this is something I ask every time I go in there... I've already had to move the towel hangar and the TP holder on the door to give me a little room, and that helped. But I have also considered what modifications could be made to move the toilet back 6-8 inches. It really is bizarre.

Another thought would be a small sink behind the toilet-- even one that folds down. It would be easy to string a drain to the gray tank.

I've also considered purchasing/installing a second cabinet, which would fit perfectly under the current one.

Many options...
ChaosTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Might be due to where the poo tank is located underneath, like next to a frame rail. We had a trailer with a toilet as you describe, knees against the door when seated.

Asked the dealer what could be done about it. As they had dealt with this before, they made a "step" next to the wall and put a low profile toilet on the step. The plumbing was altered by two 45 degree pieces of pipe to allow the flushed matter to still drop into the poo tank. Worked well!

Murff
sounds like a good idea. my other option is to be a little more "public" during my post coffee throne time...

any my legs aren't even that long. I'm all torso (5'11" with a 29" inseam)
supercraig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post

Murff
A low profile toilet with a step/riser to allow an offset in discharge piping sounds like a great fix. I’d be interested in anyone’s experience with this modification. The toilet location on my 161 drives me nuts! Let’s DO this! You first.
Hamptont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamptont View Post
A low profile toilet with a step/riser to allow an offset in discharge piping sounds like a great fix. I’d be interested in anyone’s experience with this modification. The toilet location on my 161 drives me nuts! Let’s DO this! You first.
I was a bit pessimistic when the dealer suggested this. However, we had it done on our then new Terry Taurus. As the trailer was new, we got credit for the toilet that came with the trailer. They built a new frame that wasn't but about 15 inches out from the wall and not but 12 inches or less tall. The plumbing was altered and the new toilet installed. It worked great, no problems flushing and things going into the tank, as they should.

A side note here; when it came to the floor covering on "the step", the dealer was replacing the flooring in another customer's Avion. As luck would have it, it was the wrong flooring for the Avion but was the same as our Taurus. The dealer returned the flooring to Fleetwood, but not before they cut off enough to cover "the step"!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is online now   Reply With Quote