Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2020, 08:30 PM   #21

I use the furrion rear camera on my 161 as any of the attachment mirrors wouldn't fit well on my VW. Works way better than any mirror I've used and I can see anything behind me by the time it's out of the camera it's in my stock mirrors.
supercraig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercraig1 View Post
I use the furrion rear camera on my 161 as any of the attachment mirrors wouldn't fit well on my VW. Works way better than any mirror I've used and I can see anything behind me by the time it's out of the camera it's in my stock mirrors.
Ok. You got my attention. I never thought of using a rear camera for anything other than backing the trailer in.
What Furrion camera did you buy?
Where did you get it?
Did you install yourself?
Will it show up on my current truck screen or is it a separate mounted screen?

Thanks
Hamptont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamptont View Post
Ok. You got my attention. I never thought of using a rear camera for anything other than backing the trailer in.
What Furrion camera did you buy?
Where did you get it?
Did you install yourself?
Will it show up on my current truck screen or is it a separate mounted screen?

Thanks

Did this one. It's a separate LCD but I put it up by the mirror and it's all good.Your 161 is already wired for it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
supercraig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamptont View Post
I have a 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 w/Jayco Octane 161. I tried the cheap add on mirrors and wasn't too impressed. Has anyone used the telescopic style whole mirror replacements? Like these https://www.1aauto.com/chevy-gmc-mir...1093511&y=2017
I have those same mirrors only I got them from rockauto.com

They work well and heated mirror works great as well. Easy install with a couple of tools and a cold beer.
2017 HD Street Glide Special
slippin_jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:36 PM   #25

Back-up & side camera's

I have a 2018 Octane T30F. It is a little large to say the least & even with my larger aftermarket mirrors on my 2000 Dodge 2500, I could not comfortably see down the right side as much as I would like, nor really anything behind me. I went with the 4 camera wire-less set-up from Tadi Bros. I have the Rear camera, 2 side cameras near the top front on each side of the camper along with a Indoor camera looking at the toy area (to monitor if anything comes loose while traveling, etc.). It uses a 7" monitor I mount to the windshield sitting right on top of my dash (I am tall enough to comfortably see over it & have full view to the front (wife, that is a different story, but I do the driving with the camper & if emergency, she can just move it to the left or right). I can monitor 1 camera, 2, 3 or all four at once if I wish. The more camera you monitor, the more the screen is divided up for them. Having the ability to see fully around & for distance behind, day or night makes hauling this camper much less stressful & definitely safer. Just the other day I have someone stay in the blind spot for several miles on the freeway (3 lanes wide w/me in center lane). I watched them come up on the rear camera, then picked them up on the right side camera & monitored them there until they left the freeway. Also, my T30F also came with a station inside next to the bed where I can plug in the camera monitor allowing me to monitor the back-up (& inside camera) while camping if I wish.

Depending on your needs, they have packages to fit from 1 camera, to 4 or more. 4 worked the best for my situation.

Couple of Notes: 1) The rear & inside cameras also have microphones in them & I can easily hear the wife talking behind the camper, even while while backing the camper over the Dodge 2nd gen diesel engine. 2) If you have the Furrion wiring already installed for the rear, Tadi Bros. has a mounting adapter that goes right on it & you use the Furrion pre-wired wiring. 3) To use the rear &/ or inside cameras as "visual security camera/s" while camping, you need to have them wired with a hot wire (rear pre-wiring usually has this) & a easily accessible on / off switch, vice the running light circuit. Side cameras are fine w/ running light circuit & just tap off the front left & right running lights for pwr.
AZMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:52 AM   #26
Tad

I have these on my 2016 f150 . Love them.
Tad is offline   Reply With Quote