Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2020, 03:20 PM   #1

Trailer tire wear

Im about 10k on the trailer now and noticed the right rear tire is feathering. In the auto world I would guess it to be a toe problem as it is located on the outer rib of the tire. Now before we get into a good debate of what it may or may not be, here are the specs and what is what. Trailer is a Talon 313T. The tires are always checked before a trip and set to 80PSI if needed. All the lug nuts are checked. Trailer is not overweighted. Maybe 14k GVW of 16 with only 1 dirt bike in the garage section. The dealer said it is from turning. I get that but shouldn't the other side show a similar ware. (I promise I am not at Dayton doing hot laps. It's just the right rear tire. I am thinking it's a bent axle flange. Just figured I would reach out to wiser more experienced people.
PistonSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:47 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I would say it a defect axle and the problem is one sided. Just check if there is a recall - use the data on the axle tag.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
I would say it a defect axle and the problem is one sided. Just check if there is a recall - use the data on the axle tag.
Thanks I will take a look at that
Old 10-24-2020, 05:51 PM   #4

Might try rotating tires. See if the problem reappears on the new rr tire. Could be a bad tire. Even if the problem reappears, rotating every 10k miles x 4 equals 40000 miles. Not bad for trailer tires.

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:15 PM   #5

I had one tire with weird wear when I jack my unit up to grease the hubs found that tire the bearings were set too loose
Old 10-25-2020, 07:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springhook View Post
Might try rotating tires. See if the problem reappears on the new rr tire. Could be a bad tire. Even if the problem reappears, rotating every 10k miles x 4 equals 40000 miles. Not bad for trailer tires.
I will be doing that this winter.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:48 PM   #7

I had the same issue, but on the left side. Excessive tire wear under 8000 miles. On the highway in Maine my schackle on the third axel broke and pushed the thire axel tire to the middle tire. Caught it quickly and pulled off the road. When i got the RV to the shop the other side was cracked. I just found out there is a recall for some Lippert axels. I have a 2019 Seismic 4212 toy hauler. Hope this helps.
rvingsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:18 AM   #8

If the wear is located on the outside of the RR tire then it is considered toed-in or a negative toe angle. If their is no irregular tire wear on the other side (LR) than that indicates the axle itself is strait and mounted correctly on the leaf springs. If the axle were "crooked" you would see outside wear on the RR and inside wear on the LR. It sounds like the RR spindle is bent or the spindle was not aligned correctly when welded onto the axle.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:22 AM   #9

I had a similar issue when we moved. The new house is on a street that was seal coated with pea gravel. I backed in the exact same way the first few years, and did a lot of tire scrubbing, you could really see it in one tire mark on the street. So do not totally dismiss the tire scrub thought. I now rotate my TT tires every year or two.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I had a similar issue when we moved. The new house is on a street that was seal coated with pea gravel. I backed in the exact same way the first few years, and did a lot of tire scrubbing, you could really see it in one tire mark on the street. So do not totally dismiss the tire scrub thought. I now rotate my TT tires every year or two.
As they should be, also rebalanced. You do your autos too right??

PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:53 PM   #11

My tires wore badly after having a spring mount break in 2016. I finally discovered that there was a shop here in Wichita, KS, that straightens axles on semi trailers and even the big differentials on semi tractors. So RV axles are like child's play to them. They straightened both my axles for about $150 per axle and it has been good since. They didn't take anything apart to do it. I'm sure any decent sized city would have a shop capable of that.
Kurtman is offline   Reply With Quote