Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2014, 06:32 AM   #1

Transporting 2 motorcycles

I see the rings on the floor to strap down your toys but does anyone use wheel chalks to stabilize the front end. If you have a different way please show pictures so I can get an Idea..will be transporting a softail and a sportster.
Thanks for any help
gjs1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:59 AM   #2

I've trailered my bike before, never used a chock (chalk is for writing on a chalkboard). If you have it properly strapped down, it won't tip over. Chocking the wheels is best if you are loading and strapping down bikes by yourself. It provides stability while you run your straps.

Personally I park the bike like normal with the stand down. I loosely run a strap to both sides of the handlebars by the risers. I then get on the bike and straighten it up and tighten the straps so it holds itself upright. Once it is upright and secure, I tighten the straps in the front and just start to compress the forks. Don't compress too much... you want it to absorb some bumps. Then I go to the back and strap down the rear, usually from the seat mounts.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:17 AM   #3

I really like the wheel chock from Princess Auto (Canada), i believe Harbour Freight in the USA has a very similar model. Usually can be found on sale for $40-50. Makes securing a bike solo very easy. I prefer to use 2" wide straps with a sewn loop on one end, no hooks to touch the bike. I loop through the lower triple trees and then secure to the trailer mounting point. I have those pulling forward into the wheel chock then on strap through the rear wheel pulling backwards. In this pic the rear strap is off already but you get the idea. Second pic i had a strap throught he front wheel to hold it in place as i secured it. Hard to tell from pic but the trailer is on a fair incline.

232,500 kms in 2013
200,000 kms in 2014
160,000 kms in 2015
greenenvy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to JOF!

I made up a "portable" single chock system for my TV this summer to accommodate a 650 KLR. I used a 3/4" piece of plywood and drilled holes so that I could place the chock in different positions, depending on cargo placement. I cut the plywood such that it couldn't move around in the TV box. I only hauled one bike, so I was able to use the TV's corner box hooks for my tie-downs.

Do to the length of the bike and my TV's short box, I had adequate clearance between my tailgate and TT power jack assembly to travel with my tailgate down.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #5

Cycle gear or harbor freight have free standing front wheel chocks that do not have to be mounted as long as you strap front and rear.
msnyder755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:13 AM   #6

I'm thinking of these. They are removable.

http://www.etrailer.com/Wheel-Chocks...ax/TWSPWC.html
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:36 AM   #7

My preferred method of transport is using the Pitbull trailer restraint system. No straps. Plate is bolted to the floor, retainers clip into place on the plate.

Video here:

Here is one in the van. It's awesome in the toyhauler since there are no straps, with three or four bikes in the rig it was like navigating through a spider web when I was using chocks.

kkesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:27 AM   #8

I use this in my cargo trailer. Works fantastically well and folds flat out of the way.

http://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/ite...turer=Pit+Stop
Old 06-22-2015, 04:30 AM   #9

gjs1955...so-o-o what did you finally settle with to stow those bikes? Same issue here 2 bikes and I'm not seeing a clear n' easy way I'd feel comfortable with to strap them down. I have trailered them in an open trailer but that method doesn't directly transfer to the toy hauler. Could be I'm nervous about hauling what I can't see because I've had to stop before just to "snug" up straps and/or reseat. Perhaps the solution will stay at jury rigging chocks, I know I ain't gunna buy 'em.
Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:20 AM   #10

I have an Octane 222. I haul 2 HD's in mine, a Road King and a Softail Deluxe. I only use straps and have not had a problem. I am in PA and have hauled to Florida and just last week to New Hampshire and back. If they are strapped down properly you shouldn't have an issue.
Lodown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:55 AM   #11

Thanks Lodown, Your post has made up my mind however I'll still throw one last request out there, if anyone wants to halt their fun for a bit, stop in the middle of what they're doing and take a picture of how they have strapped in their bikes without chocks, that's without chocks I'll promise to reciprocate when I get my two strapped into the Octane 273. Chocks are a big thing to me they add weight and hassle, they would work and do a nice job but absolutely necessary I'm glad to hear they're not. I'll strap them in and post the pics.
Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:51 PM   #12

I haul two full dressers in our Seismic Wave. I know that it is possible to strap a bike down using 4 straps pulling 2 forward and 2 back, but is this an area you want to save money? Your bikes and trailer cost you a bunch of money, so I wouldn't nickel and dime this. I purchased 2 Condor quick release mounts on Amazon for around $210 each. I mounted 2 bolts and a very small metal plate into the floor of the toyhauler garage for each bike. When I drive the bikes in, I don't have to worry about going to far and I'm hands free to strap them down. When not traveling, I regularly use the stands in my homes garage as well.
WIBLAZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:40 PM   #13

Just an update...nothing game changing...we had a couple chances to trailer both our bikes and we're doing it with two straps on the front pulling the fork springs way down and two straps on the back...that's per bike. Also they are the 2 1/2 inch ratchet straps, good for something like 3000lb...floor eyelets are good for 2500 so we figured we're good. I know chocks are available and I could throw money at this but the straps...they are doing the job I got no complaints.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
Just an update...nothing game changing...we had a couple chances to trailer both our bikes and we're doing it with two straps on the front pulling the fork springs way down and two straps on the back...that's per bike. Also they are the 2 1/2 inch ratchet straps, good for something like 3000lb...floor eyelets are good for 2500 so we figured we're good. I know chocks are available and I could throw money at this but the straps...they are doing the job I got no complaints.
How are you liking your 273? I just took mine from ny to fairbanks and rode the bmw up the dalton highway to the arctic . I used the removable chocks I posted on the last page. They worked good ,and believe me, there were some really rough roads..... Oh, heads up, take a look under your bathroom sink. My pipes came loose on those pothole strewn roads. There was no support for the pipes . Just the connection to the tailpiece is all that holds the weight of the pipes. You might want to put something under the pipe(between the floor and the pipe) to support it.( About 2 inches)....I'm heading out to utah next month to ride the new quad around moab and monument valley. Alot easier to transport 4 wheels
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote