Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2024, 06:42 AM   #1

Valuable lesson learned.

What was the lesson? Parts fail, and sometimes there is nothing you can do about it.
I was on a guys (Dadís) golf trip a few weeks ago. Weekend was great, until our trip back home. We were roughly 2.5hrs away when I felt a vibration. It came and went, so made me think it was the highway. All of a sudden, while cruising around 60mph, the rear of the truck dropped, and made a horrible sound. In the split moment while assessing, I looked to my left, and saw my 37í tire passing me in the on coming lanes. I was able to get us off the highway, well, enough anyway, and then I could figure out what happened. We were all safe, nothing major happened. I feel if we had out previous TT, we would have been having a different conversation, and one or both very well could have flipped, or been forced off the highway down the embankment.
$1200 wrecker tow later, filed an insurance claim, and Iíve got her back on the road safe and sound.
Mechanical damages include new wheel/tire, brake router, and backing plate. I did both sides of the brakes at the same time obviously. Bedside damaged from tire hitting when coming off, possible whole bed as it may be twisted, front bumper damaged from tow truck denting it while loading onto the flatbed.
Not a single scratch or dent on our 3 week old 395.

Truck will go to the body shop in 2 weeks, but for now, back up and running, and enjoying life again.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1797.jpg   IMG_1798.jpg   IMG_1804.jpg   IMG_1819.jpg   IMG_1828.jpg  

PBJGlmpng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 06:44 AM   #2

Back on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1861.jpg   IMG_1888.jpg  
Old 04-20-2024, 06:54 AM   #3

Glad it wasn't any worse.
Old 04-20-2024, 07:06 AM   #4

Now if I can just get the pictures to load the proper way, and not grainey. Lol
Old 04-20-2024, 07:28 AM   #5

Scary stuff!
Please share the root cause of the failure.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 07:57 AM   #6

Unhappy

Glad you and everone else is safe. I had a co-worker killer by taking on an oncoming errant wheel/tire. When the wheel/tire flew through the divider it sent it airbourne into/through my co-worker's windshield.

So, the elephant in the room.... Your truck's a Ford F250 towing a trailer with a "DRY" weight of 14890 lbs. with a claimed "DRY" hitch weight of 3310lbs.. Correct?

My estimate of your truck's rear axle weight (truck, trailer, cargo, fluids & dunnage) is pushing well over 6800 lbs?

I think the lesson is... "back up and running, and enjoying life again" after a review of your truck "real world" towing capabilities?
- 2002 Fleetwood Jamboree 23e, Class C (Sold)
JDsRVcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 08:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsRVcrzy View Post
Glad you and everone else is safe. I had a co-worker killer by taking on an oncoming errant wheel/tire. When the wheel/tire flew through the divider it sent it airbourne into/through my co-worker's windshield.

So, the elephant in the room.... Your truck's a Ford F250 towing a trailer with a "DRY" weight of 14890 lbs. with a claimed "DRY" hitch weight of 3310lbs.. Correct?

My estimate of your truck's rear axle weight (truck, trailer, cargo, fluids & dunnage) is pushing well over 6800 lbs?

I think the lesson is... "back up and running, and enjoying life again" after a review of your truck "real world" towing capabilities?

Agreed.
I'm grateful you are safe.
Towing that toyhauler, your truck is taxed well beyond the purpose and limits of its engineering and build. I would not tow that Seismic with anything less than a 1 ton DRW diesel.
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 10:24 AM   #8

It appears to me in the images that what happened is that the lug nuts came loose. I believe most vehicle's (trailers and tow vehicles) owner's manuals state to torque the lug nuts every time you re-install the wheel and again after ~100 miles (not sure the miles but after some miles). I don't see this as an issue with how heavy the trailer is or with the truck's ratings. ~CA

Note to the OP, I would check the other wheel's lugnuts torque asap if you haven't already done so. If the same shop or person installed all 4 wheels\tires at the same time then perhaps they didn't torque any of them, or perhaps not torque them to the proper torque specification in which case the other wheels could also be an issue in the near future.