Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2019, 11:40 AM   #1
RKF

Water Heater Issue

So I just had the WH replaced in our 2017 Jayco Seismic 4212. It worked great for a while, but now it stops heating on both electric and gas. When it happens there is a light above the LP WH switch that comes on. I can turn both of the electric and LP switches off and then back on and the light goes off then in a little while it will come back on and the WH stops working. Has anyone dealt with this before? What could be the issue?
RKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:30 PM   #2

If it was gas only, I would say it's a bad control board. But if it's not working on electric OR gas, it could be something else.

I would first try it on just gas, making sure the lines have been properly purged. That other little light on the control panel is a "fault" indicator. It means the WH tried to ignite on gas and was not able to do so after 3 attempts (I think it's 3 anyway).

On mine, it would light, burn for about 5 seconds and then go out. Electric element was still functional. There was a known bad batch of control boards in manufacturing at that time, and even replacements were bad. So I replaced with a Dinosaur Board from Amazon and have been running perfect for about a year now.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:27 AM   #3

I came her to this forum to discuss a similar topic. I have a 2017 Jay Flight 174BH Baja edition with a gas ONLY WH. Propane tank is full and I cannot get the pilot to light at all! I haven't really needed it yet but with the fall coming... Anyone have any trouble shooting tips?
campingVA_ktdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:54 AM   #4

Another tip is to get the propane flowing to your stove and/or refrigerator, then try. It took me a while to figure out exactly where the pilot flame was supposed to be. Once I did, I made a note on the instruction sheet to help jog my memory if needed. If you are still near your dealer, just drive on over and have them show you!
Kate Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingVA_ktdb View Post
I came her to this forum to discuss a similar topic. I have a 2017 Jay Flight 174BH Baja edition with a gas ONLY WH. Propane tank is full and I cannot get the pilot to light at all! I haven't really needed it yet but with the fall coming... Anyone have any trouble shooting tips?
Your problem could very well be a bad control board. It fits the right time frame of production. Use the search feature for atwood water heater. The new board can be bought on Amazon.
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKF View Post
So I just had the WH replaced in our 2017 Jayco Seismic 4212. It worked great for a while, but now it stops heating on both electric and gas. When it happens there is a light above the LP WH switch that comes on. I can turn both of the electric and LP switches off and then back on and the light goes off then in a little while it will come back on and the WH stops working. Has anyone dealt with this before? What could be the issue?
I would check the wiring first to be sure nothing has come loose like a ground wire or been chewed by a pest. Since both are not working it’s possible the board has gone bad.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingVA_ktdb View Post
Has the unit been in storage? Have the tank valves been turned off?

If either of those are the case, it's an easy fix, just turn on the propane valves (VERY slowly!), then go and light the stove. It will take some time for the stove to light because it's typically a long way from the tank valve to the burner valve. Let the stove burner burn on high for a minute or so, then try the WH again.

If you've confirmed that the propane tank valves are open, and you still can't get the stove to light, then you have a different problem. The tanks have safeties in the valves, if you open them too quickly, they will shut off. The "pigtails" also have safety valves in them; same thing if you open too quickly, they will shut off the flow. I've even had them go bad on me and needed replacing. If you've opened the tank valve very slowly and still get no flow, try closing the tank valve, disconnecting the pigtail from the tank and rap it lightly on something hard, that could cause the safety valve to reset. Reattach, open the tank valve slowly and try again. If still no glory, it could be a defective regulator. You could try tapping on it to get it to work. I don't know how to test a regulator because I've never had one go bad on me, but I know it has happened to others.

If you can get the stove to light, but the WH still doesn't light, you probably have a WH problem. Make sure the area around the propane supply in the back of the WH is clean and free of debris. Critters like wasps love to build nests in those areas. Install bug screens on your vents, and I've heard a simple flea collar for a dog helps keep critters out of those compartments.

Have you tried to light the WH with a separate flame source? Have an "assistant" trigger the WH, listen for the gas flow and try to light it with a lighter (one of the long ones maybe? Just in case...). Maybe it's just the pilot that's not working right?

Sounds silly, but is there 12V available? The circuitry on the WH works on 12V DC power. If there's no 12V, it's not going to work. Make sure that your battery is charged up and all your 12V is working properly. Try plugging the rig into a 15A household socket, JUST to power the converter and put a charge on the battery as well as make 12V DC available through the converter, don't try to run high draw appliances like the air conditioner this way.

A lot of this stuff may sound kind of silly, but these are all the things I would check first because they're easy. Oftentimes it's the simplest explanation that solves the problem.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:39 PM   #8
RKF

Quote:
Originally Posted by damammel View Post
I would check the wiring first to be sure nothing has come loose like a ground wire or been chewed by a pest. Since both are not working it’s possible the board has gone bad.
Yeah, like I wrote, the WH was replaced in May. It doesn't matter if it is in gas mode or electric. The fault light comes on and I have to turn the switches off then back on and it will heat the water then the fault comes back.
RKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKF View Post
Yeah, like I wrote, the WH was replaced in May. It doesn't matter if it is in gas mode or electric. The fault light comes on and I have to turn the switches off then back on and it will heat the water then the fault comes back.
Ok. So Have you checked for loose wires? I understand it was replaced but if both options are not working consistently then I would think a wire is loose or the board has a loose connection inside or maybe a relay that’s sticking. Why was it replaced originally?
Old 09-05-2019, 06:50 AM   #10

I have a 2017 Jayco Eagle with on demand hot water. Running off the pump I have hot water in bathroom shower and sink but none in the kitchen. The hot water displays shows the water running shows the propane igniting in the bathroom but when you turn it on in the kitchen everything comes on but the propane. The stove in the kitchen works so there is propane to the kitchen just when you turn the hot water on the display does not show it.
MightyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:28 PM   #11

Our WH switch has an error light (very small/faint) that indicates a high temp condition and all heat sources are shut down, sounds similar to your description. I’ve had this happen a couple of times in 5 years, cycling the breaker (110V) and battery (12V) at the same time will clear the issue. In your case the over temp thermocouple may have tripped or failed or the control board may have failed. If it’s just tripped my Solution May help.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote