Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2019, 02:35 PM   #1

Weight Help

Greetings all, I would really appreciate some feedback.

I just picked up a 2018 Octane 222 w/fuel station and had a few questions about weight. Iím not worried about my tow vehicle as my 2019 F250 6.2 gasser should do the job. Where I am a little nervous is when it comes down to my cargo carrying capacity and the possibility of light tongue weight. I do have a nice WDH installed from the dealer.

First letís start with some numbers right when I left the dealership and hit a scale with myself, wife, and daughter in the truck:
Steer Axle: 3840
Drive Axle: 4040
Trailer Axle: 5060
Gross Weight: 12940

Sticker on the side of the TT states:
GVWR of Camper 8000lb (total loaded)
Dry Weight of camper 5745

Tongue weight is advertised at 790lb (but I have not officially measured this and assume it may be off considering the dry advertised weight is lower than 5745 from the factory) It will also likely change after loading the rzr.

All this taken into account, here is what Iím hoping to safely load in the camper:
UTV - 2019 Polaris RZR Turbo 4 (it does fit) Ė 1721 dry w/ empty 10 gallon gas tank (typically 150-200lb difference between the front (lighter) and rear). Front tires are just past the front axle near the door.

With these estimated numbers dry weight numbers it looks like Iím already at 7466 of 8000lbs before I even add a toothbrush Ė which sucks. Iím guessing with gas and the winch on my rzr Iím probably sitting at 1800 I reality so I may have 4-500lbs to play with.

It is likely we will only be loading the rzr once or twice a year in the TT, but I wanted to ask:

What would be prudent next steps with regards to safety when traveling with the UTV?

Some of my thoughts
i. not getting any freshwater / or gas in the fuel station until Iím very near my destination
ii. Make sure my UTV is low on fuel. Even then, I may need to unload the UTV first at the site then go get fluids.
iii. Assuming payload is plenty good on my truck, load the bed with as many items as I can from the trailer.

Does the trailer axle weight per the CAT scale buy me any breathing room with regards to GVWR? I assume it does not.

Lastly, any concerns with the side to side weight distribution on my 222 - The UTV has to be pulled in to the far right side of the toy hauler (when looking in from the garage door). The left side does have kitchen cabinets, appliances, cabinets, and storage. The bathroom is on the left side and a couple of what look to be relatively light cabinets.

ScaR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:48 PM   #2

I would load up and head to the scales, really the only way to tell.

And by load up, your going to need bedding, tools, cookware, clothes, did I mention tools, hookup stuff, lawn chairs, food.

All that adds up!

On the side to side, try to find a scale where you could roll one side of the trailer wheels on the scale and the other on the ground. That will give you the info you need.

On my 195 RB the fresh tank, kitchen, water heater, furnace and all the kitchen cabinets are on one side. The other side only has the dinette and closet on the other side. Now that I think of it I am going to hit the scales with one side only and see how it shows up! Luckily I went to Goodyear Endurance one size up and should be ok.

Dometic Milenco Aero mirrors
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I would load up and head to the scales, really the only way to tell.

And by load up, your going to need bedding, tools, cookware, clothes, did I mention tools, hookup stuff, lawn chairs, food.

All that adds up!

On the side to side, try to find a scale where you could roll one side of the trailer wheels on the scale and the other on the ground. That will give you the info you need.

On my 195 RB the fresh tank, kitchen, water heater, furnace and all the kitchen cabinets are on one side. The other side only has the dinette and closet on the other side. Now that I think of it I am going to hit the scales with one side only and see how it shows up! Luckily I went to Goodyear Endurance one size up and should be ok.

Thanks, I know that will be the only for sure way, but maybe I was just wanting to hear ďif your 8300 on the scale youíll be fine just slow down a bit,Ē lol.
ScaR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:03 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

ScaR1,

Welcome to JOF

Another JOF member also has a Octane 222 and has an active JOF thread on the subject of "light tongue weight" that may also be of interest......;

Octane 222: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ght-70023.html

I do agree that TH's can be a little challenging when it comes to loaded tongue weights under both towing conditions; toys loaded/ toys unloaded. The challenge is what conditions will create the ideal 13% to 15% loaded tongue weight of both differing gross loaded weight conditions.

IMO it will take a few CAT scale visits to determine what "cargo" scenario will provide acceptable loaded weight condition(s). It sounds like you are aware of some possibilities.

Also, keep in mind that your RV dealer's WDH installation/adjustment was based on unloaded conditions, you will need to re-adjust the WDH properly to meet "loaded" conditions and confirm that the WDH is rated correctly for loaded conditions.

CAT Scale how-to: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...v-tt-3871.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaR1 View Post
snip..... Does the trailer axle weight per the CAT scale buy me any breathing room with regards to GVWR? I assume it does not......snip
Difficult to say, depends on the actual axle ratings (sticker on axles), how much actual "loaded" tongue weight is being supported by the TV, etc..

IMO the CAT scale will be your friend on confirming the different loaded weight scenarios with your TV/TH combo.

Just food for thought.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:07 PM   #5

Tow behind toy haulers are a stability challenge. You want to get the weight as close to the front, but if you have a kitchen, bath, and bed it makes it impossible. Do whatever you can to add tung weight.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:09 PM   #6

you might need to back the rzr in for better weight distribution and tongue weight. other wise most of the rzr weight is almost to the very rear of the trailer
I back my 2018 turbo dynamix in our Jayco t33l
tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaR1 View Post
Greetings all, I would really appreciate some feedback.
You are way over thinking this.
Your F250 will easily handle that trailer. I pull my 222 with a 2.7 EcoBoost F150. My trailer CAT scales at 8200lbs loaded with 2 Harleys and full fresh water (empty fuel tank). Tongue weight needs to be near 15% of trailer weight when loaded. Load your RZR so that weight is as far forward as you can get it and you will be fine. Maybe backwards?

This is my scale weight without and then with trailer. Notice my light tongue weight. Next time I will move one motorcycle forward to kitchen area.

2016 F150 2.7 4X4 CrewCab ShortBed 6Speed 3:55's
2019 Jayco Octane 222 SL
2016 HD Dyna S and 2019 HD Softail Slim
AmericanBiker is offline   Reply With Quote