Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2024, 11:53 AM   #1

What You Look for in a Toy Hauler

Hi, was wondering what to look for when purchasing a toy hauler? What kind of amenities, equipment are most important?
DoctorJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 02:12 PM   #2

My toys wouldn't fit. However, an onboard genny, fuel tank, monster water tanks. A lot of the off road parks around here require a stout suspension just to get to a staging area.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 02:58 PM   #3

What's the number 1 reason that you bought a Toy Hauler?
DoctorJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 05:50 PM   #4

I'm assuming that it was because they had toys to haul?
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 05:59 PM   #5
CAG

I think I had it. It carried both of our quads when we had them and later the sideXside. It slept 8+ on trips with the dual garage bunks. The fold down table in the garage gave a great dining area with so much extra space. It had 100+ water tanks, 45+ black and 80 gray tanks. A 5500 Onan genny and three TVs. There was alot more but then it was a Heartland Cyclone at 38'.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 03:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
If I had one, I would be looking for a buyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I think I had it. It carried both of our quads when we had them and later the sideXside. It slept 8+ on trips with the dual garage bunks. The fold down table in the garage gave a great dining area with so much extra space. It had 100+ water tanks, 45+ black and 80 gray tanks. A 5500 Onan genny and three TVs. There was alot more but then it was a Heartland Cyclone at 38'.

Lol I am with Norty on this one. We looked at them at the Tampa show looking to carry our golf cart. Wife likes her kitchen and entertaining area too much, which you give up in a toy hauler
Old 06-15-2024, 06:54 AM   #7

You ask which amenities to look for. Most all have a bed, kitchen and bathroom. As far as how big and how fancy you want to be, get whatever fuels your desire. Our Octane 222SL is simple, plain and does everything we want in a hauler, but by many people's standards it's probably not near enough from what I've seen and heard. I've even had one person tell me, "I couldn't handle camping in something this small". I just smile. I love it, my wife loves it, and that is all that matters.

And when I'm sitting here reading about another slide-out issue someone is having, I smile some more.

Go see what's out there and buy the one you want.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 08:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorJay View Post
What's the number 1 reason that you bought a Toy Hauler?
Your question is a good one. And only you can answer it correctly for yourself.

CAG's answer above tells me it served it's purpose well for him and his family. We look at them each time we buy because we would like a garage for hauling bicycles and kayaks, and then decide there are other features we want more. Also, we prefer smaller trailers and there's no such thing as a small toy hauler - and rightfully so - it wouldn't make sense.

So, it's back to you. What do you want to do with it, and can you do it?
Old 06-15-2024, 08:38 AM   #9

Not a recommendation of mine, but there are small Toy Haulers from this size and all the way up to very large Toy Haulers. A small one like this may be perfect for a couple dirt bikes or a 4-wheeler, etc. ~CA
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 07-06-2024, 12:13 PM   #10

Toy hauler

The #1 thing to look for is to make sure your toy (assuming you already have one) fits inside it. My first toy hauler was a bumper pull that was huge because my SxS is fairly big. It did not have an onboard generator or solar....was a decent camper but not for the boon docking we normally do. I then upgraded to a 5th wheel....made sure the garage fit the buggy, and I ensured it had an onboard generator, self leveling jacks and solar. Everything else doesn't really matter to me as long as it works.
skip4346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 12:56 PM   #11

We have an Octane 161. Small but mighty. Been cross country 3xs coast to coast. We have been able to setup in some amazing places the big rigs won’t fit. As long as we can take the bike, or the golf cart, we’re good
Susie410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 04:55 PM   #12

a different lock at it

1st what toy's are planning to take with you, this will determine garage length.
Now for me I wish I would have looked and or purchased one with the following, a/c in the garage along with a 3 season door in the back both would allow for us to enjoy the garage more and the ramp as a patio for the dogs.
We use ares depending on the trip a motorcycle, 4 wheeler or golf cart.
soonergypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 05:00 PM   #13

It's just the two of us, so we didn't want a queen bed that dropped down from the ceiling over the garage part of our toyhauler. We wanted more storage so opted for cabinets that went all the way down both sides. Get the biggest kitchen area you can. Some have miniscule counter space. I liked having an oven and loathe microwave convection ovens. We had a larger refrigerator, too. And I'll never get an east west bed ever again. Someone gets to crawl over in the middle of the night. North south beds for us. We also liked the onboard fueling station a lot. And we had 100 gallons of water storage. We stayed out for as long as 2 weeks at a time by taking an additional 4 5-gallon blue cubes of water. We mostly boondock.
Squarepeg is offline   Reply With Quote