Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-04-2018, 07:49 AM   #1

Whisper quiet A/C

Anyone removed one of these ducted A/C units that don't have central access? My ceiling panels are glued to the rafters, so there isn't a way to access the A/C unit from inside.
Seismic 355W

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:08 AM   #2

If it is the MACH 8 it is all done from the roof. Remove shroud, remove squirrel cage cover and there are 4 lag bolts that you remove.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:50 AM   #3

That is exactly what I needed to know. There is a gap in the duct work so the majority of the climate controlled air is blowing around in my attic. The first clue was condensation on the ceiling in the summer, and the heat pump warped a ceiling panel this winter. The panel gets so hot you cant hold your hand on it. I used a scope in the vents and found a gap near the A/C unit. When I get around to removing the unit this spring I will post photos. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2018, 08:07 AM   #4

Hmmm yes let us know how you make out with that. I believe i have the same issue developing with the same model. The condensation i noticed was on the bedroom ceiling.
Wilsonbryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonbryk View Post
Hmmm yes let us know how you make out with that. I believe i have the same issue developing with the same model. The condensation i noticed was on the bedroom ceiling.
If it's the bedroom unit with a visible plastic return air (about 16x16) that is the standard mounting with inside access.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:32 PM   #6

The weather was fairly warm today so I took the opportunity to investigate further into the “Whisper Quiet” problem. It turns out I have an Airxcel 4800 Mach 15 heat pump. It is fastened to the roof with 4 lag screws, just as Grumpy indicated in an earlier post. The head on the screws is a 5/16” hex. After removing the squirrel cage cover, I found more of the quality control that I have come to expect with this RV.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0528.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	37389

Name:	IMG_0529.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	37390
On the intake side of the A/C we are presented with a pile of sawdust, messy wires, and my favorite…. Magical-mystical-fix-everything-glimmer-tape! As you can see the fabulous tape has depreciated and no longer seals the void in the attic. The inside filters are rather pointless when the unit is sucking fiberglass insulation from the attic and blowing it all over the inside of the RV.

Name:	IMG_0530.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	37391

Name:	IMG_0532.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	37392
I did not take pictures of the exhaust side, but I did remove the blower motor and put my hand in the ducting. There are several gaps that go directly into the attic that once were hidden by glimmer-tape. I did not remove the entire unit because I do not have a spare roof gasket on hand. My plan is to replace all of the pathetic tape with expanding foam. I will update this post when I complete the repairs this spring.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:42 PM   #7

Why am I not surprised? I found all the sawdust, wood chips and metal filing in our ductwork on the heat side as well.
Looks like I will now be checking our AC prior to this year to clean it out as well. I'm sure it will look just the same!
Will be curious to see what else you find.
thanks for posting these!
Wilsonbryk is offline   Reply With Quote