Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2017, 12:28 PM   #1

Winterizing the 273

Does anyone know if the 2017 Octane SL 273 has the conversion kit for doing the winterizatin?
Octane2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:18 PM   #2

After managing to finally contact our dealer, who didn’t know, we were able to contact another who helped. It does. With all the different people that we talked to who didn’t know exactly how it works on this trailer but knew in general, we were able to get most of it done. Only problem is, no anti-freeze, or water, comes out the hot water. Only the cold. I will try Jayco again, they may know.

I will post a step by step for others so they don’t need to re-invent the wheel.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:22 PM   #3

Did you bypass your hot water tank? If not you may be filling your tank with antifreeze and that's why only water comes out of hot water taps.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:14 PM   #4

We did. Turned both valves in kitchen and the one to open for anti-freeze. We also did pressure release and pulled “coark” in hot water tank. Aloso, btw, water doesn’t come out hot water faucet, nothing does.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:47 AM   #5

there will be three valves on the hot water tank, one on the cold inlet, one on the hot output side and then one that is in a line connecting the two. The connector line is always in the opposite position. During normal use it will be closed, allowing water in and out of the water heater, and for winterizing you close the two in the lines and open the one in the connector line which stops antifreeze from entering the water heater but allows it to cross over to the hot water side of the system. I'll put money on the need to open the third valve in the connector line at the water heater and it will fill the hot side for you.

Ross..

Pictures are easier to understand....
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2017, 08:38 AM   #6

I believe you are right. I think there is one more valve that we need to find. Going to try again today.

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2017, 12:08 PM   #7

I would be interested in your step by step. About to do it on the same model myself. Thanks!
Landingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:21 PM   #8

I will

I will do a write up, once we have ours completed. I will see if we can fix the remaining issue today.

Don't pay for someone to do it.

Once we had done this, we realized how easy it was (we aren't done yet).

With what we know now, paying anything more than $50 for someone to do this for you for this trailer is too much.

What I see the issue is, a good clear guide on how to do it. The manual really sucks. Too many variables. Dealers only give you overview and we have video to show they gave wrong info.

Even the instructions that Jayco emailed me, were HORRIBLE.

There are so many trailers. I get that. If I was an employee that actually knew how to do this, I could make a video in about 10 minutes that would show step by step, then I would loose all kinds of money from uninformed people.

I guess my point is, don't pay. It is easy and should take 10 minutes, tops.

I bought the PEAK anti-freeze off of Amazon. Seemed to get good reviews. $4.99 each. All things being equal, two gallons should be enough.

More to come.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:27 PM   #9

A walk through would be awesome! The owners manual is zero help! Ive had campers in the past but I just want to make sure I get everything on this one.
Landingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:59 PM   #10

We went back to the trailer. Took some pics. Will call Jayco tomorrow. It seems like the three valves are right. We turned the two, a quarter turn as well as the anti-freeze line. I am hesitant to turn any different as we could end up with anti-freeze in the water heater. Hoping Jayco can tell us what we need to change.

I did learn today that we should be emptying the hot water tank. We haven’t been doing that at the end of our trips.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:19 PM   #11

There should be three valves , plus the valve to let antifreeze in( that makes 4 valves)
Old 11-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #12

Update

Yes, I think we have it figured out. I called Jayco today and sent the pictures that I had.

In looking at them it appears that they put a valve in backwards so that it faces away from you. You wouldn't know it was a valve unless you knew what you were looking for.

I am going to go back to the trailer this evening and see if that is it. If it is, we are good to go.

More info to come.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:05 PM   #13

Good news. With everyone's help, including some people at Jayco's support line, we got it figured out. Hopefully the link works. If it does, you will see the obvious valve right there in front of you. NOT! It is on, what I would call, backwards. It looks like it is just a connector. The valve part of it is on the other side. It is even black. Which in this VERY confined space, just about makes it invisible.

Anyway, all we needed to do was turn it and we were good to go.

I will put this all into a simple doc and post it for those that have the same, or similar trailer.

It really is simple. Now that we have done it. It would take about 15 minutes and 2 gals of anti-freeze to do it next time. I could probably even do it without getting my hands dirty.

More info to come.

Thanks to those here who helped!

Old 11-07-2017, 06:52 PM   #14

That's idiotic they would install it backwards. Now you'd have to cut the line to swivel it around and reattach the line. must have been built on a Friday !
Old 11-07-2017, 07:20 PM   #15

Documented process

OK here is the doc. Let me know if this is of help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nx4atwb7jr...273v1.pdf?dl=0
Old 11-07-2017, 08:56 PM   #16

I'm going to add a small amendment to your process, there is one small spot that could potentially still contain plain water and that is the line that comes from the city water hook up on the outside. if you take out the little screen in the hose connection fitting (small flat screwdriver will work) you will see a white plastic pin sticking out. Push on the little pin, it is a one way check valve designed to let water "in" only. I usually relive the pressure in the system after it is filled with antifreeze, have someone hold the pin in and then turn on the pump for a second till antifreeze comes out the hook up. I have also heard you can turn the screen around to push on the pin. Other than that good write up. Don't forget also to add antifreeze to the sink drain taps.

Ross..
Old 11-07-2017, 09:58 PM   #17

You may want to also blow out the line to your fresh water tank. Buy the air adapter , screw it onto water inlet, turn valve to tank fill, add 30-40 psi of air and make sure your tank drain valve is open.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:56 AM   #18

Some changes coming

Thanks for the input. I am going to call Jayco today to validate a couple points and will update accordingly.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:31 AM   #19

One more thing, do you have the black tank flush? A little spritz of air will push any water out and into the tank.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:16 AM   #20

Version 2 of document Winterizing your trailer

So I called Jayco as I wanted to check a few things.

This is the new version of the document.

Thanks to all for their input.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yk8oi42eqi...273v2.pdf?dl=0