Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-04-2022, 12:20 AM   #1

15 amp fuse blowing - Hall Pwr short to gnd

2017 Precept 31ul the 15amp fuse in slot #10 keeps blowing. It actually sparks when trying to insert new fuse, then blows the fuse. The slot controls the bedroom slide out/hot water heater/under cabinet lights in kitchen.

The Lippert Components motor controller shows Hall Pwr short to ground error. I disconnect power to the controller and wires to the dual motors, and fuse still sparks and pops.

The fuse popped a week ago. I replaced the fuse, camped for two nights with no problem. Then retracted the slide out & I think it popped again I'm now unable to replace the fuse at all.

Has anyone dealt with this issue? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thx
DrunkPromDate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:11 AM   #2

That is usually the result of one of the motors spinning in place and ripping the wiring harness from the motor. The Hall effect sensor is in the very top cap where the harness connects. I would check the connection at both motors and see if you have any wires pulled out.

With all the Schwintek problems out there, I bought a spare 30 foot harness that I carry with me in case I have a catastrophic failure on the road. The length let's me run outside the slide from controller to either motor to get my slide in or out.

Sounds like you need a replacement harness and possibly a motor if you can't repair the one you have.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
With all the Schwintek problems out there, I bought a spare 30 foot harness that I carry with me in case I have a catastrophic failure on the road. The length let's me run outside the slide from controller to either motor to get my slide in or out.

A good idea. I had a chat with a rv tech a few weeks ago. For him, he stated 9 times out of 10 it's a harness issue and dosen't usually replace bad motors. Chaffed, pinned, stretched, poorly routed wiring is the usual problem.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
A good idea. I had a chat with a rv tech a few weeks ago. For him, he stated 9 times out of 10 it's a harness issue and dosen't usually replace bad motors. Chaffed, pinned, stretched, poorly routed wiring is the usual problem.
That's exactly what my research showed. It wasn't cheap, the 30 foot harness cost about $100 but compared to being stranded, to me that was cheap insurance.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
That's exactly what my research showed. It wasn't cheap, the 30 foot harness cost about $100 but compared to being stranded, to me that was cheap insurance.
I feel like I should pull a second trailer identical to mine for spare parts. I'm only slightly joking.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
I feel like I should pull a second trailer identical to mine for spare parts. I'm only slightly joking.
I absolutely agree. I carry more than most. I can handle just about any roadside / campground emergency and most common part failures...
Old 12-04-2022, 10:32 AM   #7

Thank you all. Are the two motors easily accessible on the bedroom slide? Are they located behind the side tables? I assume there is one one each side of the slide. I have a tendency to dismantle things only to find out the part is not where I thought it was located. Is there a schematic I could reference?
Old 12-04-2022, 10:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkPromDate View Post
Thank you all. Are the two motors easily accessible on the bedroom slide? Are they located behind the side tables? I assume there is one one each side of the slide. I have a tendency to dismantle things only to find out the part is not where I thought it was located. Is there a schematic I could reference?
The quick answer is that they may or may not be easily accessible. If your slide is currently extended, you should be able to see or reach them from the outside. They are located at each top corner of the slide within the wall.

You will need to pull back the slide seal and should see the motor on the very top corner of the H-Track. You may have to remove some screws to get enough access to see what you need to see.

If you need guidance post a couple of pictures of the top corners of the slide.
Old 12-04-2022, 12:30 PM   #9
Site Team

I only have experience with the 1 bedroom slide in my rig.

Only problem I ever had in 11 years was the connector on the bottom of the slide hanging up and coming disconnected. Protecting it from that happening again with some wire wraps and I have not had any other problems. Regular lube and clean the tracks.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:35 PM   #10

Thanks Marcm157 was able to see the motors, but the slide seals are pretty well caulked. I don't feel comfortable breaking those seals to get to the motor. I have a tech coming out this week. I think I'm going to have a professional take care of the issue, but the information y'all gave definitely gives me confidence to talk to him & not feel like I'm in the dark. Thanks again!
Old 12-05-2022, 08:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkPromDate View Post
Thanks Marcm157 was able to see the motors, but the slide seals are pretty well caulked. I don't feel comfortable breaking those seals to get to the motor. I have a tech coming out this week. I think I'm going to have a professional take care of the issue, but the information y'all gave definitely gives me confidence to talk to him & not feel like I'm in the dark. Thanks again!
You're Welcome - Don't hesitate to reach out if you need further.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Old 12-23-2022, 08:10 PM   #12

Had this problem once. Turned out to be a plug in LED night light was shorted.
Keetters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, ground, lippert, slide out