Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2023, 03:15 PM   #1

18k chassis generator overheating - recall

Just thought I'd share that the attached bulletin is now a formal recall from entegra/jayco. I tried purchasing the parts to install myself and was told I had to go through an authorized dealer for the install because of the recall status. Sharing in case anyone else is having issues with their generator shutting off in temps higher than 85-90 degrees. I am hoping this resolved the issue for me and will let you know later this summer after I test it out on a few trips.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vision Generator Plenum.pdf (699.6 KB, 103 views)
Boiler01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 04:03 PM   #2

So, after my appt today, it turns out the dealer had the wrong tsp and actually completed the engine compartment heat shield as the recall and not what I attached in the original post (what I had asked them for initially). They were able to find the generator plenum parts I initially wanted and are shipping them to me (for a small fee of course). I should have the parts to install myself in about a week.
Old 05-26-2023, 04:48 PM   #3

It took longer than expected to get the parts, but I got them today and installed. Brief test and the plenum is doing what it is supposed to (pull air from the side of the coach instead of underneath where the air has been heated by the engine). Won't be able to have a good test until later this summer when I have a few trips in the heat, but will share results.
Old 05-26-2023, 09:38 PM   #4

I live in Canada and shortly after buying my 2021 prestige 36h (purchased may 9 2022) I had my generator shut down. I made some inquiries on this forum and somebody sent me this recall but the dealer here knew nothing about it and directed me to contact the generator manufacturer Onan. They said this was a Jayco issue so I still don't have it fixed.
Old 05-26-2023, 09:52 PM   #5

I was informed by my dealer that the bulletin I posted is not technically a recall (somehow they mixed up the bulletins with another that was a recall on my unit, but a completely different thing). What I posted is a fix the dealer should know about and is a jayco/RV manufacturer issue/resolution. The part numbers are included in the initial post and cost me a little over $100usd. As I have not been able to thoroughly test it I am not sure it actually fixes the issue yet, but can let you know in a few months.

That said, I tried all the other solutions posted on this forum first, such as:
* Adjusting the amount of oil in the generator (up and down from the full mark)
* Adjust the throttle up/down for a richer/less rich feed
* Insulated the entire fuel line to reduce opportunity for vapor lock
* Replaced the fuel pump

None of the above made any difference so I am hopeful pulling cooler air from the side of the rig will do the trick. Not much else I can think of other than moving the generator away from the engine compartment...which I think means buying a new rig. I have made several trips from Texas to Indiana (and back) without having the issue, so you might have a different issue that could be solved by another one of the options above. I would try those before buying and I stalling the plenum.
Old 05-29-2023, 05:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler01 View Post
I was informed by my dealer that the bulletin I posted is not technically a recall (somehow they mixed up the bulletins with another that was a recall on my unit, but a completely different thing). What I posted is a fix the dealer should know about and is a jayco/RV manufacturer issue/resolution. The part numbers are included in the initial post and cost me a little over $100usd. As I have not been able to thoroughly test it I am not sure it actually fixes the issue yet, but can let you know in a few months.

That said, I tried all the other solutions posted on this forum first, such as:
* Adjusting the amount of oil in the generator (up and down from the full mark)
* Adjust the throttle up/down for a richer/less rich feed
* Insulated the entire fuel line to reduce opportunity for vapor lock
* Replaced the fuel pump

None of the above made any difference so I am hopeful pulling cooler air from the side of the rig will do the trick. Not much else I can think of other than moving the generator away from the engine compartment...which I think means buying a new rig. I have made several trips from Texas to Indiana (and back) without having the issue, so you might have a different issue that could be solved by another one of the options above. I would try those before buying and I stalling the plenum.
Please keep us posted because mine does the same thing. If it works I will order the parts and install it myself.
Old 05-29-2023, 06:11 PM   #7

Here is what I see for 2021 Alante 31V

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...32094-0001.pdf

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...15385-0001.pdf

Dealer fixed our door.

Not sure if how it all works as still in shop for other recall but will try in less than 2 weeks.

#Bru_Tube

Alante31V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 06:05 PM   #8

After an hour and a half drive, with the plenum, onan 5500 shut off again while at a stoplight. Did not fix the issue. Not sure what else to do. Very poor design for hot weather travel.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:28 PM   #9

Mine shut off last year about this time when the weather was hot and it was stationary. It ran for about three hours then quit. It would need to cool down before it would start again
Old 05-30-2023, 06:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianpemb View Post
I live in Canada and shortly after buying my 2021 prestige 36h (purchased may 9 2022) I had my generator shut down. I made some inquiries on this forum and somebody sent me this recall but the dealer here knew nothing about it and directed me to contact the generator manufacturer Onan. They said this was a Jayco issue so I still don't have it fixed.
Put your VIN and look at manufacturers communication section. Print out items and Demand your dealer to fix all non-chassis items and Ford for chassis items.

https://www.nhtsa.gov
Old 05-30-2023, 08:28 PM   #11

I frequently check nhsta.gov but I have only ever seen chassis related recalls attached to my vin (of which all have been resolved). That said, I am not seeing the "manufacturers communication" section - does this mean there are no recalls or am I blind? I have only ever seen house related bulletins posted here....
Old 05-30-2023, 08:34 PM   #12

See screenshot for example.

What year/make/model you have?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0019.jpg  
Old 05-30-2023, 08:46 PM   #13

2021 Entegra vision 29f (rebranded alante). They don't show when I search my vin, but they do if I search by year make and model. Thanks for the help - reviewing the 7 posted now.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alante31V View Post
Put your VIN and look at manufacturers communication section. Print out items and Demand your dealer to fix all non-chassis items and Ford for chassis items.

https://www.nhtsa.gov
Same thing as Boiler. nothing showed up entering the VIN but make, model and year I have 1 safety recall for the rear sway bar which I already knew about. There were also 2 comments but neither had a recall attached to them. Nothing at all about the generator
Old 06-01-2023, 05:26 AM   #15

So I had already completed the two for the 5500 generator. Question: has anyone attempted an external oil cooler? My next step is either this or trying to get some forced (cool) air into the plenum I just installed by means of active fans...both seem like a pretty involved activity with no guarantee of solving the issue.
Old 06-04-2023, 02:55 PM   #16

I decided on the forced air option because I was more comfortable going that route (I am not a mechanic). I will be testing it in a few weeks and if it works, I will create a new post on what I did.
Old 06-05-2023, 06:38 PM   #17

Gents, I haven't started putting in all the "fix" attempts on my 5500 yet as I am wanting to do the roller mod on the wonky kitchen slideout first...before I have more damage. But the Onan is next, for sure. Haven't needed the Onan in hot weather yet, but I know the overheating problem awaits.

I ordered my cooling air intake plenum from Jayco about 10 days ago and they said it would take about 4 to 6 weeks to get it here. I also ordered the Onan Cooling Air (Exhaust-side) Deflector from Cummins a few days ago and it came today. Two styles of the Cummins deflector are shown in their TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...02376-9999.pdf I believe the combination of the intake plenum and this deflector is supposed to alleviate recirculation from the exhaust side of the Onan's cooling flow path back into its intake as they are side by side (whereas the intake plenum's function is to duct air in from the side of the coach, rather than underneath.) Has anyone out there installed the Cummins Exhaust Air Deflector when they installed the inlet plenum/scoop? I'm "thinkin'" that the inlet plenum is the major player and the exhaust deflector is mainly to prevent the Onan's cooling air "short circuit" under there when the coach is stationary. Since it was only $63 from Cummins (surprised it wasn't $363) I decided to put it on. Can't hurt as they say.

From the many posts I have read here and on the FaceBook Precept and Alante forums the two main contributors are cooling air flow and vapor lock/fuel boiling in the carburetor bowl. I plan to attack the latter while I wait for my "scoop" kit from Jayco (with lots of fuel line insulation all the way to the carb and lots of closed-cell foam tape insulation around the carb bowl area.)

All the info from the forum is much appreciated. If I stumble onto something that works I'll sure share it. Best ......... Ed S.
Attached Thumbnails
Onan Cooling Air Exhaust Deflectior.jpg  
Toad: 2016 Kia Soul w/6-spd DIY
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 04:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler01 View Post
I decided on the forced air option because I was more comfortable going that route (I am not a mechanic). I will be testing it in a few weeks and if it works, I will create a new post on what I did.

So, the forced air system I I stalled helped significantly, but I still had the generator shut off once in a 10 hour trip with many stop and go situations in nearly 100 degree heat. When it did shut off, I was able to get it running about 5-10 minutes faster than before. I wouldn't call it fixed, but significantly improved.
Old 06-17-2023, 05:04 PM   #19

Your model have the new door? Here is pic, (minus the air intake, which was installed after this pic taken) on our 2021 Alante. Not sure if Precept or other get these.

Dealer just installed but not tested in heat yet.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...15385-0001.pdf

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...32094-0001.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
iPhone-2023.03.04-10.35.38.680.jpg  
Old 06-17-2023, 05:09 PM   #20

I have a vent across the top of the door (I have an entegra vision which is a little different from the alante, but 99% the same). I'll take a pic when it stops raining.