Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2022, 06:42 PM   #1

1st Flat Tow Experience today - ended with MH chip on Windshield

Hi. I bought a 2008 Honda CRV in good condition and took it to the folks @ Hitch Post in Ocala, FL. Great people and highly recommended. They installed base plate and everything else needed... I was scared getting pulling the CRV behind the RV as it was my 1st time pulling something behind a car. But as lots of people say.. you can't even notice that is back there...

Now the bad part of the ride back home.. on I75 I got a rock from a truck in my windshield and got me a chip on it .. How you guys deal with that? I checked my insurance (through State Farm) and on the coverage is says Glass Deductible 500. Not sure if someone can do a repair or if it needs replacement. Also I'm afraid that with the heat/sun here in Florida... it may expand. For my cars I used safelite in the past.. but not sure on the RV world and that big windshield on the Alante... it is a 2022 27A.
Old 09-24-2022, 07:28 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by embeleco View Post
Hi. I bought a 2008 Honda CRV in good condition and took it to the folks @ Hitch Post in Ocala, FL. Great people and highly recommended. They installed base plate and everything else needed... I was scared getting pulling the CRV behind the RV as it was my 1st time pulling something behind a car. But as lots of people say.. you can't even notice that is back there...

Now the bad part of the ride back home.. on I75 I got a rock from a truck in my windshield and got me a chip on it .. How you guys deal with that? I checked my insurance (through State Farm) and on the coverage is says Glass Deductible 500. Not sure if someone can do a repair or if it needs replacement. Also I'm afraid that with the heat/sun here in Florida... it may expand. For my cars I used safelite in the past.. but not sure on the RV world and that big windshield on the Alante... it is a 2022 27A.
Get it repaired, best if you can do it before moisture sets in.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 04:14 PM   #3

When i bought my 2021 Alante 27a i knew the windshield replacement would be high. I made sure it was covered in my policy when i bought it.
Pete
Old 09-25-2022, 04:23 PM   #4

Quote:

You can buy a kit and do it yourself or have a window company do it. I carry 0 deductible on my cars because it was so cheap
Old 09-25-2022, 04:56 PM   #5

I checked with Safelite for it to be repair. They are asking 170 for their mobile service.

I'll probably give them a try and see if at least it can be repair.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:02 PM   #6
Site Team

Usually Safelite will warranty their repair. In SC, if we have comprehensive coverage, windshields are covered.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 08:49 AM   #7

Well Safelite came today but the chip expanded to a point that is no longer repairable. Thanks to Hurricane Ian I couldn't put the repair service for a sooner date.. Now I need to start looking for a good glass shop that can work those big windshields as the Safelite tech told me they don't work on those big windshields.

Any glass shop here in Central Florida that anyone can recommend? or that have worked with in the past? I also need to check with my insurance to see if replacement is cover or if a deductible is needed.

Thanks in advance.
-Jose
Old 10-01-2022, 09:23 AM   #8

Call a couple Motorhome dealers in the neighborhood and ask where they get them done at. Most service departments will be nice enough to send you to a good place.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 05:34 PM   #9

I was told to contact K&K Glass or RV Glass Master by some dealers in the area.
Old 10-02-2022, 06:28 PM   #10

Oh, no, you got to be kidding now I would hate that.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 12:03 PM   #11

Windshield chip repair

Hi, I had a chip on my TV. Safelight wanted $150 to repair. I found an independent glass repair company that charge $45 if you brought the vehicle to their shop (Joliet, Il). Best to shop around for quote if you are using insurance.
Ortys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 02:19 PM   #12

I have seen repair kits on line under $20.00. The chip will still be seen, but much less, more like a slight distortion, good enough if not directly in the drivrers vision.
Wesitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 02:24 PM   #13

Mine is no longer a chip. It expanded to a point that Safelite said it is no longer repairable. So a replacement is needed
Old 10-05-2022, 03:38 PM   #14

For future consideration if you end up with a chip in your new windshield:

Our gardener using his line trimmer flipped a small rock into a new window on the front of our house and put a good sized chip in it like a windshield would look if it were hit. I went to the auto parts store and bought a kit that has a syringe and a clear resin in it. Worked very well and saved a lot of $$.

The kit was similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Star-Win...40373809&psc=1
Randy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 05:19 PM   #15

This is how much it expanded. That was taken last Saturday.. maybe now is worst.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9870.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	84592
Old 10-05-2022, 05:23 PM   #16

Quote:

If your vehicles are registered and insured (comprehensive Ins.) in FL, then FL State law requires all Window replacements paid 100% (No Deductible) by you Insurance company.

Since I've lived in FL, I have had 2 cars and my Motorhome Windshield(s) replaced when they cracked free of charge.

Windshield Repairs are Free for Many Florida Drivers
Under Florida Statute §627.7288, if you have comprehensive car insurance coverage or combined additional coverage, your windshield is covered. It is in the best interest of the public for motor vehicles to have safe windshields.Jun 27, 2021
-Russ
rgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 05:31 PM   #17

Quote:

I do believe if your a Floridian there is no deductible on glass in this state. I would check on that. For Geico there isn’t.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 11:15 PM   #18

Quote:
This is how much it expanded. That was taken last Saturday.. maybe now is worst.

Attachment 84592

Ouch! I guess that you better get that taken care of before it spread.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 05:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy G View Post
For future consideration if you end up with a chip in your new windshield:

Our gardener using his line trimmer flipped a small rock into a new window on the front of our house and put a good sized chip in it like a windshield would look if it were hit. I went to the auto parts store and bought a kit that has a syringe and a clear resin in it. Worked very well and saved a lot of $$.

The kit was similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Star-Win...40373809&psc=1
With a new window I'm surprised you wouldn't replace the window pane. I shot a rock through one of my front windows and storm door. I ordered a new window for the storm door and removed the front window and took it to the local window company. They measured it and ordered a new thermopane and installed it for 110 dollars
Old 10-06-2022, 08:55 AM   #20
CAG

Windshield replacement is Catch 22, at least in Arizona, and we have lots of rocks.
Law requires you have a windshield that is unobstructed so no big cracks or you get a citation or repair order.
Insurance companies track glass claims just like accidents even if you have full coverage. So if you have too many glass claims your insurance goes up.
Ask me how I know.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote