Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2017, 09:05 AM   #1

1st Year of Ownership

Just closed the loop on our first year of ownership of our Precept 35S which coincided with closing the loop on our first trip. We logged 8,016 miles through 15 states and 5 provinces over a period of 157 days.

I tip my hat to Jayco as we experienced no problems and everything operated exactly as it should without problem or failure. The only issue we had was the Sanicon system hose picked up a few pinhole size leaks from expanding and contracting in coarse gravel. A call to Jayco had a new replacement in the RV park we were staying 2 days later. I rate that as incredible service!

The driving time was extremely enjoyable, you can't beat the view from that front window. Found ourselves looking forward to the transit days. No issues with handling or ride, slow and relaxed was the pace with the speedometer rarely over 60 MPH. Tried to live by a travel rule I picked up from this forum, 300 miles or 3:00 PM, it worked great. This wasn't a race afterall, it was a trip to be enjoyed.

Average miles per gallon for the trip, which included a tow vehicle, was 8.5 miles per gallon. Given the amount of miles logged through the mountains in the west, I am happy with that.

Our stays included a variety of parks ... some incredible, some not so much so. All part of the learning curve when it comes to picking places to stay.

Blogged about our travels, more of a personal and picture snapshot than a travel blog. If you're bored and have time on your hands, you can find it at gordthorne.blogspot.ca

Cheers and thanks for the tips we have gleaned from this forum by its contributors. And thanks Jayco, we are super happy with our purchase.
Attached Thumbnails
Trip.jpg  
Riptorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:01 PM   #2

Wow!!!

I can't wait until we can take the time to do a trip like this. Glad to hear everything went well. We are looking into trading our Alante in for a Precept 35S next year.
Graunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:48 PM   #3

Awesome and inspiring! Way to go!
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #4

Very inspiring trip. Glad to see the Precept did the job. We have a 2015 Precept 31UL.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:08 AM   #5

What an amazing trip! Glad to hear your Precept lived up to expectations! Like you, we too did our first long trip this year, NJ to Yellowstone and back, different route back, our Precept 35UN did an awesome job too. I can totally get your comment about the view, nothing like it, now if there was a way to keep them darn bugs from messing up our views! Thanks for sharing your tip!
Attached Thumbnails
MH at Grizzly.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:40 AM   #6

1st Year of Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptorn View Post
Just closed the loop on our first year of ownership of our Precept 35S which coincided with closing the loop on our first trip. We logged 8,016 miles through 15 states and 5 provinces over a period of 157 days.
...snip...
Blogged about our travels, more of a personal and picture snapshot than a travel blog. If you're bored and have time on your hands, you can find it at gordthorne.blogspot.ca

Cheers and thanks for the tips we have gleaned from this forum by its contributors. And thanks Jayco, we are super happy with our purchase.
Thanks for posting your trip outline. It seems like it was a great trip.

You really piqued my interest, but I couldn't find/don't know how search for your blog. Is it still there?

(BTW, this reply is tardy because when you posted it I was in the middle of helping my son and his family relocate from AZ to IL.)
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:16 AM   #7

Sherm and Terry, you should be able to access the blog at
https://gordthorne.blogspot.ca

Let me know if it doesn't work for you.

Cheers,

Gord
Old 09-15-2017, 08:04 AM   #8

I'm starting to read your blog. We also have a 2016 35S. I noticed the photo of the table you have between the captains chairs. Could I ask where you got that. We were thinking of ordering the one that comes in the new Precepts but I'm sure that's pricey.

I look forward to reading more of your adventures!

Kelly
luv2camp04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:11 AM   #9

Hi Kelly, we inquired about the one from Jayco also and we're quoted a sizable amount. That table is from Ikea.
(SVARTÅSEN Laptop stand, black - 23 5/8x19 5/8 " - IKEA)
At $25 it is a bargain compared to the fixed spot alternative from Jayco. We store it while driving under the dinette and is it by the sofa while watching TV. The ability to move it around has been one of the best features.

Cheers,

Gord
Old 09-15-2017, 08:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptorn View Post
Hi Kelly, we inquired about the one from Jayco also and we're quoted a sizable amount. That table is from Ikea.
(SVARTÅSEN Laptop stand, black - 23 5/8x19 5/8 " - IKEA)
At $25 it is a bargain compared to the fixed spot alternative from Jayco. We store it while driving under the dinette and is it by the sofa while watching TV. The ability to move it around has been one of the best features.

Cheers,

Gord
Thanks. We actually have a table that we also store under the dinette while traveling. We move it from sofa to between the chairs as needed and are looking for another table so we will have two, but it's large enough that storing two of them would be out of the question.

I'll check into the Ikea table. I'm enjoying your blog and photos!
Attached Thumbnails
Precept 11.jpg  
luv2camp04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:30 AM   #11

Kelly, a quick follow up to clarify where we stow it. The great thing about this table is it can be raised and lowered. With the tabletop lowered the table simply slides in on the seat of the dinette. See picture.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170916_101412.jpg  
Old 09-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #12

Thanks for sharing your adventure some times reading the forum it seams like I have the only good Precept out there it's nice to read such a positive story. I look forward to reading your blog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2017, 09:45 PM   #13

I too would like to thank you for sharing your positive experience with your MH. A lot of the posts on this forum are quite negative and it's refreshing to know that there's more good than bad. I have posted some of the issues I've had with my coach but so far Jayco has come through with all the right fixes. I have one major issue in that both of my bedroom slides leak with a hard rain both when they're open or closed. It boggles my mind how water can get in when the slides are closed but the good news is Jayco has agreed to take the coach back to the factory for repairs. The bad news is it can't get in until January of 2018 so my camping season is over for now. Jayco will pick up my coach and bring it to Indiana and then arrange to return it after repairs are made. And I live 500 miles away! How is that for customer service? So next year I hope to be able to experience some of the things you have written about and do it with a problem free coach. Thanks again and keep the blog going.