Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2024, 12:36 AM   #1

2 Grey Tanks Prestige 36H - No One Knows!

Hi, new owner here!

I've done searches but can't find a definitive answer!

On my panel it shows Grey 1 and Grey 2. Grey 1 is now 100% full. Grey 2 shows empty. I have a washing machine, did a few loads of laundry, took some showers, used the sink.

I only see 1 Grey handle underneath.

So, how does this work? If grey 1 is full does grey 2 start to fill? Is grey 2 for the washing machine only? Can I balance them using the grey handle and keeping the final handle closed?

The owner's manual is useless.

Thank you in advance for any advice!
Attached Thumbnails
unnamed.jpg  
GusinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 12:58 AM   #2

According to the specs that Jayco has, you have 1 40 gallon gray, 1 40 gallon black, and 1 72 gallon fresh tank.
https://www.jayco.com/rvs/class-a-mo...-prestige/36h/
There may be an option for a second gray, but I didn’t see it.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 08:38 AM   #3

I have a 2019 Jayco Precept Prestige. I have a grey tank lever in the wet bay that empties my washing machine only. I also have a black tank and grey tank levers on the drivers side basement doors just in front of the rear wheels.
These will empty all the other tanks. In the wet bay you can opt to use the macerator or gravity dump.
Old 02-13-2024, 11:53 AM   #4

Thank you for your answers! So, the plot thickens:
In the basement forward of the rear axle are two handles, one grey, one black. In the water control basement is one black handle, which seems to be the "overall release valve" that leads to the macerator (pulling the black and grey handles forward of the axle don't do anything until you pull the black handle in the water control basement).

BUT

There are stickers! Two on the front basement saying BLACK HOLDING TANK and GREY WATER HOLDING TANK.

And then there is ANOTHER sticker on the water control basement door saying GREY WATER HOLDING TANK. But there is NO extra GREY handle in the water control compartment (that I can see)...

SO! Are there TWO actual GREY tanks or NOT? And if so, how do they work, exactly???

A theory: Maybe the Grey 2 tank is for the washing machine only, and is controlled by the small black handle in the water control basement that also releases everything to the macerator?
Attached Thumbnails
unnamed (2).jpg   unnamed (1).jpg  
Old 02-13-2024, 12:43 PM   #5

There are two grey tanks. Each are independent of each other, however they both will dump through the main waste pipe in the wet bay. My rig has two black handles in the wet bay so don't let the color of the handles confuse you.
I attached a picture of where the laundry grey water valve is located.
If you pull the grey and black handles located in the basement compartment by the rear wheel, nothing will dump until you either connect your sewer hose and pull the main valve or start the macerator in the wet bay. Same applies to your laundry grey water valve.
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2024, 12:45 PM   #6

There is only one true way to know. Dump everything you have. With a clear fitting somewhere in your set up, have someone watch while someone else runs water with gray valves open. See what comes out making sure you do everything except toilets. Then close one of them and try it again. Then swap positions again and run more water. With both gray open, run water down the toilets to make sure no black in gray. (In a Thor we had, the bath sink was connected to black tank. Found out the hard way.). Now you should have a pretty good understanding of your system. Best wishes! Kevin
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 03:05 PM   #7

2022 Jayco Precept 36C here.

2 black (2 bathrooms) and 2 gray tanks (W/D plumbed by not installed)

Basement compartment driver side (in front of rear wheels) has 1 black and 1 gray tank handle to dump front tanks.

Last small door on driver side, has the dump valves for my rear tanks 1 black and 1 rear.

I can get pics if needed, plus you can crawl underneath and count your holding tanks.
SoCalSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 03:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkie123 View Post
There are two grey tanks. Each are independent of each other, however they both will dump through the main waste pipe in the wet bay. My rig has two black handles in the wet bay so don't let the color of the handles confuse you.
I attached a picture of where the laundry grey water valve is located.
If you pull the grey and black handles located in the basement compartment by the rear wheel, nothing will dump until you either connect your sewer hose and pull the main valve or start the macerator in the wet bay. Same applies to your laundry grey water valve.
Ok that's kind of what I thought. So the SMALL black handle in the water control compartment should actually be colored GREY and controls the 2nd GREY tank which collects the washing machine water. It's too bad there is no way (or is there?) to balance the two grey tanks, say if you have a full Grey 1 and an empty Grey 2, to allow some of the Grey 1 to flow to Grey 2 and have half full tanks. Maybe install a small pump or something. Not a big deal just looking to understand how the whole system works. Why can't the Jayco manual show everything SPECIFIC to YOUR rig, it looks like a manual for just about any model Jayco makes...

Thanks again...
Old 02-13-2024, 04:24 PM   #9

Here is a thread that may help: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ion-97442.html
Old 02-13-2024, 05:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul P. View Post
Excellent, thank you!
Old 02-13-2024, 05:13 PM   #11

Here’s what the Jayco sales tool app shows for the 2024 year.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1366.jpg  
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 05:16 PM   #12

You can also email service@jayco.com give them your model and VIN and request all schematics for your coach. Those schematics are helpful.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 05:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry713 View Post
Hereís what the Jayco sales tool app shows for the 2024 year.
So the Grey Tank 1 (sinks and shower) is only 30 gallons and Grey Tank 2 (washing machine) has 50 gallons? Seems like it would make sense the other way around. Good to know I can balance them by keeping the valves between them open...
Old 02-28-2024, 01:48 PM   #14

Gray tank #1= 50 gallons, gray valve handle is located in compartment forward of wet bay with black water valve, black handle. Black tank=40 gallons. In wet bay behind main valve,( big vertical black T handle), is a small black handle for Gray water #2 = 40 gallons. Always open main T handle before emptying any tank.
Good way to ensure cleanest hoses is to do black water first - flush with fresh water, then dump gray 1 then 2.
Only dump one at a time. Last valve to close is the man one.
You are lucky your quantities work. Mine never had since new!
2022 Precept Prestige 36H
Captain Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 03:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Flavius View Post
Gray tank #1= 50 gallons, gray valve handle is located in compartment forward of wet bay with black water valve, black handle. Black tank=40 gallons. In wet bay behind main valve,( big vertical black T handle), is a small black handle for Gray water #2 = 40 gallons. Always open main T handle before emptying any tank.
Good way to ensure cleanest hoses is to do black water first - flush with fresh water, then dump gray 1 then 2.
Only dump one at a time. Last valve to close is the man one.
You are lucky your quantities work. Mine never had since new!
2022 Precept Prestige 36H
Thank you, thatís helpful! Iím surprised how little detail on this is in the manual that came with the RVÖ