Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2022, 02:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtrboy502000 View Post
Well, it could be in the fill tube. But...what happened is due to lack of access to add new oil I have a 12v pump I use to add oil back in and I didn't know the end of the tube from the pump had a cap in it. I started to fill and heard a loud "snap". That was the cap coming off of the tube from pressure so it may be down there a ways.

If I can't retrieve it, I'll take my chances. Which is what I was going to do in the first place. But I don't think that the oil will get hot enough to melt it. But I could be wrong.

Best thing is get it out cause it'will haunt me all of the time.

HOT oil is 220-240F. Not going to melt that cap. That cap is not going to clog the oil pick-up. My guess would be it sits in the head/rocker valley forever.
djglover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 05:10 PM   #22

You can try removing the field tube, if it’s possible.

When I owned my own business I had a 4x4 GMC Safari work van. Nice little van, I got it from the used car guy I buy all my vehicles from. I went to check the oil, and found what I thought was the wrong size dipstick. So he ordered me a new one. I put the new one in and took it out to check the oil, (it was very very long), as I pulled it out it hit the chassis and sparks flew and it started to weld itself to the chassis! I immediately knew where the other half of the first dipstick was! Turned out the alternator/belt was over tightened, and the positive nut on the alternator was touching the chassis. The other half of the dipstick was still in the dipstick tube, at the the bottom of the pan! Glad we found it! Now I know why such a low mileage van went to the auction he buys at! Phew, that could have been worse! Van lasted for years, I sold it with my business.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote