Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2017, 12:08 PM   #1

2015 Jayco Precept 31 UL NEWBEE...QUESTION

Having said I'm am new to this Fulltime RV Lifestyle...I have a question if someone would/could answer for me.
Q. I have a Norcold Residential Freezer/Frig and the problem I am trying to figure out is: Why am I getting a LO DC reading? It seems to be functioning ok..so I'm puzzled. Sorry, if this is something I should know already but I don't....hopefully I will have a response and then know...thank you!
pattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:44 PM   #2

Congratulations on the Precept, fulltiming, and welcome to the forum.

There are others on this forum with the same fridge and have issues. If you don't get a response soon, post your question with Norcold and Residential as the topic. THEN you'll get responses!

A number of folks are having issues with their residential fridges.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Congratulations on the Precept, fulltiming, and welcome to the forum.

There are others on this forum with the same fridge and have issues. If you don't get a response soon, post your question with Norcold and Residential as the topic. THEN you'll get responses!

A number of folks are having issues with their residential fridges.
Is there such a thing as a Norcold "residential" fridge??
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyb View Post
Having said I'm am new to this Fulltime RV Lifestyle...I have a question if someone would/could answer for me.
Q. I have a Norcold Residential Freezer/Frig and the problem I am trying to figure out is: Why am I getting a LO DC reading? It seems to be functioning ok..so I'm puzzled. Sorry, if this is something I should know already but I don't....hopefully I will have a response and then know...thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfenwick View Post
Is there such a thing as a Norcold "residential" fridge??
The OP says that's what he/she has.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
Old 08-18-2017, 05:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
The OP says that's what he/she has.
Yes, that is what I was responding to. I am questioning that statement. We can't have a meaningful conversation here if we're not talking about the same thing.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfenwick View Post
Yes, that is what I was responding to. I am questioning that statement. We can't have a meaningful conversation here if we're not talking about the same thing.
In the interest of having a meaningful conversation...

By quoting what I posted, it appeared (at least to me) that you were asking me about the OP's fridge, not the OP.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:42 PM   #7

Pattyb,
what is the model number of your refrigator? Make sure your house batteries are fully charged and the refer on propane gas or AC electric. Do not try to run the refer only using your batteries, it will drain them in no time. Even on electric or propane , the brain still needs dc (battery) to to make the controller work. Battery voltage must be 11.5 or better to operate.
Hope this helps,.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:23 PM   #8

Thank you!

Dave 55....the model # is 1210 IM. I know they have recalled earlier models...I checked and this is not one of them.
Thanks for the info...and for the person who was questioning the "residential" ...yes, that is what they are called...same as what you would have in your stick 'n brick home only these run on AC or Propane.
Checking batteries...still at good level ...yes, knowing it can't run on batteries alone.
thanks again,
Patty
pattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:30 PM   #9

If your batteries are above 11.5 volts, try running the refer on propane. Turn off the converter (no shore or generator power). No inverter. If the "lo dc" code disappears that means the power board is ok for now. And that means there is problem with the dc wiring to the converter. It may have wiried to the unfliltered dc side of the converter. It needs to be fixed before power board gives out from "dirty dc voltage". If error did not go out, then power board is bad. But since the refer is cold now that would rule out a bad board. Time to call norcold or a dealer. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:53 PM   #10

My husband and I put a down payment on a 2017 31UL. We are very interested in feedback from the community. Thank you, Faye
Esaiasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaiasf View Post
My husband and I put a down payment on a 2017 31UL. We are very interested in feedback from the community. Thank you, Faye
We have had a 2017 31UL for 9 months and 8000 miles. I have been intending to post a "contrarian" rant in this forum, in an attempt to counteract some of the negativity I have seen. Like having to undertake various types of modifications to have something tolerable. Suspension, tire pressures, weight distribution, engine noise suppression, etc. It seems to me that a steady dose of that kind of talk could discourage new and potential buyers. I for one cannot relate to any of it. We think the 31UL, and especially with the 2017 upgrades, is a lot of RV for the money, the ideal size for 2 people. Our point of reference is 2014 Melbourne 29D that we owned for 3 years and 18,000 miles.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:51 PM   #12

PattyB.

Not sure if I
a) welcomed you to the Precept "family". If not. WELCOME!

b) let you know we are having a 2017 Precept "get-together" in the 1st week
of October at Zion River resort in Utah.

We have 5 open spots. So, if possible, Join us !!!

Mike
Arniesports60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:57 PM   #13

Thank you, this was very helpful as there does seem to be a lot of negative comments. Regards, Faye
Old 08-20-2017, 05:58 PM   #14

Thank you but we are still working full time but are looking forward to future trips after we retire at the end of the year. Regards, Faye
Old 08-20-2017, 09:24 PM   #15

Just what I am understanding regarding you refrigerator, as I understand the Norcold are RV refrigerators rather than residential. We have the Norcold. Basically, the difference is that a residential fridge only works on electric. Either shore power or inverter power. Any fridge that runs on propane also is not a residential fridge. The nice thing with an rv fridge is that you set it to auto and it will run on the power that is available. If you are plugged in it will be electric, but if you are not plugged in it will be on propane. These fridges do not run on battery except for when working off of the inverter. They are a 2 way fridge. We had a tent trailer that had a 3 way fridge that ran off of electric, propane, and the batteries.

Anyway, keep your fridge on the auto setting. We have had an error code when on propane. Not sure what is was all about, but the fridge worked fine.

Welcome to the group!!!
luv2camp04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:15 PM   #16

I have a 2016 precept 35 S have had it for over a year and we love it. We have not had any major issues and the ride and handle is great we have already put close to 14000 miles on it. The king size bed is extremely comfortable and so is all of the furniture.
this is our first Class A and we are extremely satisfied.
Busch77 is offline   Reply With Quote